Do the Muppets have nylon sleeves up to the mouth?

ScrapsFlippy

Reaction score
Over at “Playhouse Disney – Live Onstage” we have the real deal – Henson Creature Shop-built “Bear in the Big Blue House” muppets. They do indeed have nylon sleeves inside (which make it easy to slip in and out of puppets for our quick transitions.) The sleeves have regularly spaced “air holes” kind of like a basketball jersey, but there is more like an inch to an inch and a half of space between holes.

I remember the exhibit of which you speak coming through Little Rock, Arkansas. My wife and I woke up early and drove two hours to the Children’s Museum. (I still have the t-shirt!) What most stands out in my memory are the “real” Bert and Ernie on display, and one of the beetle-monster-guys from “Dark Crystal.”

Show and Tell

Reaction score
So everyone agrees then that nylon or the jersey material used in sports is the best stuff to make arm sleeves out of? Kinda wondering if it would be a good idea to make a removable arm sleeve so it can be washed and/or changed out so as not to stink up the puppet with sweat.:stick_out_tongue:

biblebetty

Reaction score
I don't understand?

Puppet_Builder said:
So everyone agrees then that nylon or the jersey material used in sports is the best stuff to make arm sleeves out of? Kinda wondering if it would be a good idea to make a removable arm sleeve so it can be washed and/or changed out so as not to stink up the puppet with sweat.:stick_out_tongue:
Hi everybody!
I never seen a puppet with sleeves before if there is a sleeve in the puppet that go all the way to the mouth where in the mouth would you atttach the end of the sleeve. I hope I made myself clear, I don't understand where inthe head this sleeve would be attacted and how would you change it out once the puppet was made?

thank-you bibleBetty

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Normally the sleeve is sewn or glued inside the hole for your hand at the bottom of the puppet's head. The other end of the sleeve is usually attached to arm hole in the puppet's body.

Does that help?

biblebetty

Reaction score
still questions

Buck-Beaver said:
Normally the sleeve is sewn or glued inside the hole for your hand at the bottom of the puppet's head. The other end of the sleeve is usually attached to arm hole in the puppet's body.

Does that help?
No, not really, I understand the opening at the bottom, but the other end of the sleeve is attacted to what? the mouth, the head, the neck or is it loose? Thank-you for the help!

betty

ScrapsFlippy

Reaction score
Maybe Shynee can back me up on this one.

I haven't bothered to turn the otters inside out, but I believe the lining goes all the way up - I think that the "sleeve" is just sewn to the inside of the fur before the puppet is actually assembled. So, in other words, you cut your pieces, flip them over, sew the lining on the back, and assemble the puppet. I think. I mean, isn't that how they put linings in vests and jackets and such?

--Scraps