Disney's plan to relaunch the Muppets

Drtooth

Reaction score
Personally, after seeing Muppets of Oz.... I can't tell if this is a good or a bad thing.

If they promise to make their projects as FAAAAAR from what Oz turned out to be as possible, I'm all for it. If they make more The Muppets in Prefab concepts starring some B-list celebrity in which the Muppets play second/third/or even fourth string characters, than I am not keeping my hopes up.

The retro merchandise, I can live without, myself. Seeing as how the Muppet show characters are no longer being made into action figures (though, I'm still playing catch up with series 8 and 9... just 3 more to go, plus series 5 Gonzo) The merchandise will have to be REALLY darn good for me to care. A few t-shirts and stuff I'd get... maybe a plush of Pepe if they ever make one (besides the carny prize one).

A TV show and a theatrically released movie, I wouldn't hold my hopes out for. Even if these do come out, whos to say they'll be any good? I mean, the last few muppet movies were pretty good, though hardly in a class with the first three. And I do look forward to a TV show, now that we have classic characters and Frank's characters (expertly played by Eric) back. But, seeing as how iffy (at best) the last 2 movies were, I'm having serious reservations. Hopefully, I'll feel better after Michael Eisner leaves.

count123

Reaction score
Again, like most other people, Im not getting my hopes up.

Disney has screwed up a lot in the last 15 years. Eisner stepping down might be a good thing, though we know he did like the Muppets and not sure if the new CEO does or to the same degree.

A new Muppet movie for 2007 (presumably fall release) would have to be in the works already, meaning a script is near completion and the director (Thatcher again? Brian Henson-doubtful?) would be looking at casting and design for the film already. It seems like a poor attempt to get some fans on the side of Disney as they plan to switch CEO's.

and how are they going to get a show on the air by 2009? if Disney releases a film in late 2007, they have one year to deliver a show. Sure, Sesame Street does it, but they have a formula and know their audience. Disney hides behind the protective curtain of saying that the Muppets appeal to everyone. well, you know what? pick a demographic and at least let us know how you plan to approach it.

others had mentioned, and I agree, that Jim Henson made the muppets for the child in every adult and the adult in every child. This is somethign very foreign from Disney's current success formula. They havent had a hit since Jeffery Katezenberg left to start Dreamworks with Geffen and Speilberg.

DISNEY: GIVE THE MUPPETS BACK TO PEOPLE WHO KNOW HOW TO USE THEIR TALENTS! -- THE FANS!

if they'd check out some of these boards, a good 30mins of reading, they'd have free market response and advertising taken care of for them.

my rant's almost done.

bottom line: I dont think Disney will achieve what it expects...talking about the muppets in terms of dollars and cents is ridiculous to beign with at this point.

Breakfast with Bear is a good idea. Why not Breakfast with the Muppets?

Ernie101

Reaction score
This sounds awesome, when would they know if they were going to do this? Truly splendid.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Lisa, note this says, "Apparel, books, and toys." Weird huh...

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
So it does. But note the other part of the line: "by 2009". That's four years away. A lot can happen in four years. In fact, a lot WILL happen- in four years, I'll be in college! Ooh, scary thought. Anyway, my point is that we don't really know if everything will go according to plan, or if the plan might change, or if "books" got thrown in by mistake. Anything could happen.

Let's hope the right things happen.

Ernie101

Reaction score
IF the right things happen, we will all be extremly happy. This is something I am really looking forward to.

McFraggle

Reaction score
Very interesting article, I hope their goals become a reality.

beaker

Reaction score
DevonMiles said:
It's unbelievable. this is so simple and the Henson kids just don't get it. They should find another company in England similar to Lew Lord Grade, and just re-do the Muppet Show just the way it was done back in the Late 70's The exact same characters, same type songs, re-do the same songs, and everybody will be happy.
I guarantee if it went back to that format, veterans like Frank Oz, and Jerry Juhl will want to be involved full force despite their current schedules.
They have to look up every element, every detail of what was once used, and basically just do the same exact thing again. Nothing else works. Bottom line. Bring back as many of the original people as possible along with fresh new talent and lets see what happens. You can't go wrong!
A return to 70's variety tv show? ugh, I'd rather return to Jim Henson Hour format. Tho, anything must be better than a forray into the dreaded reality tv show world. Incidentally, in 2002 JHC was planning to launch a new Muppet show on Fox prime time, rumored to take place in a theatre similair to the old set.

MuppetAlex

Reaction score
this sounds great but is it all opossible and im slightly worried that disney will make it so different Im mean by the end some of the carater could sound really different. :eek:

Camellia

Reaction score
New muppets?

Here's something interesting to discuss!

What's everyone's thoughts on new muppet characters joining the cast, and how do you think disney would influence it? For better.... or worse...?

I'd like to see more female characters in the Kermit Piggy Fozzie Gonzo Animal bunch. But even if there's just more male characters, that's ok too... as long as they have enthusiastic performers and good writing behind them.

You guys think disney could pull it off? Or would we just see new characters as easy-to-market-as-talking-toys Elmo clones? :concern: he he :smile: