Disney in talks to buy Muppets

Ryan

Reaction score
:cry:
IMHO, this is a really bad choice. Disney has been plummeting in a downward spiral for a few years now, with films not doing well and the several problems with the theme parks a few years back (remember the costumes-underwear fiasco?) Disney has also betrayed Tne Muppets and thier fans in several occasions . Two notable probelms in the original deal :

1. MGM relased Muppet merch. in the theme park's shops without permission from Henson (I don't know the full story, but it was the topic of a few discussions on the old board)

2. The early 90's WDW brochure featuring "Disney's Kermit the Frog" on the cover. I won't even get into this.

:sympathy:

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
i've never been a big contender for disney....nothing personal or anything....i just don't think disney and the Muppets are on the same wavelength...now if they let the Muppets have their own creative freedom that would be great....but doubting that they would do that..........i'm not totally for it! so i guess i would never know whether it was a good decision til it happens.....i hate when life does that!

i would say lots of freedom GOOD no freedom BAD!

disney does have the money and the name....so it just goes back to disney not trying to disney-fy the muppets...ooh that would make me madder than anything!:attitude:

Sarah

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
Look at what Eisner & Co have done with Pixar! Pixar is itching to ditch Mikey as soon as their five movie deal is up, and I don't blame them.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Guys, I've fought Disney for a long time myself, for all the reasons that you mentioned. They're all good reasons. But the fact that is EM.TV has seriously blown it, and the Henson company doesn't really have any good options. AOL Time Warner and Viacom are just as greedy of corporations as Disney is. And they're not even in the running anymore. The other companies that have been vying for the Muppets are too small; they won't be able to fund that many productions, let alone create sufficient advertising for them when the product is finally released. And I don't believe the work would be of significantly better quality coming from companies other than Disney.

Disney has made some serious mistakes lately, and they're in financial trouble for sure. But they aren't going to go bankrupt tomorrow. They turn out a pretty constant stream of product, and for the most part it's well promoted. Plus, Disney merchandise is on toy shelves everywhere. And if the Muppets were bought by Disney, they could finally have more of a presence in the theme parks.

I hate to say it, but at this point, Disney is the Muppets' last best hope.

sidcrowe

Reaction score
I'm not crazy about Disney either, but they're the lesser of the evils right now. Cripes, what if Valentine GOT the Muppets, drove them even MORE into the ground and then sold them again :eek:

Yeah, c'mon and take them, Disney:smirk:

By the way, here is something important: A scooter named after Pepe:wink:

http://www.benelli.com/novita_05_eng.htm

sidcrowe

Reaction score
So, Sarah...are you gonna buy the scooter :wink:

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
hmm i have a dull penny....nope not enough!

Sarah