1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Disney in talks to buy Muppets

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Phillip, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

2. Ryan

Ryan New Member

:cry:
    IMHO, this is a really bad choice. Disney has been plummeting in a downward spiral for a few years now, with films not doing well and the several problems with the theme parks a few years back (remember the costumes-underwear fiasco?) Disney has also betrayed Tne Muppets and thier fans in several occasions . Two notable probelms in the original deal :

1. MGM relased Muppet merch. in the theme park's shops without permission from Henson (I don't know the full story, but it was the topic of a few discussions on the old board)

2. The early 90's WDW brochure featuring "Disney's Kermit the Frog" on the cover. I won't even get into this.

:sympathy:
  3. sarah_yzma

sarah_yzma Active Member

i've never been a big contender for disney....nothing personal or anything....i just don't think disney and the Muppets are on the same wavelength...now if they let the Muppets have their own creative freedom that would be great....but doubting that they would do that..........i'm not totally for it! so i guess i would never know whether it was a good decision til it happens.....i hate when life does that!

i would say lots of freedom GOOD no freedom BAD!

disney does have the money and the name....so it just goes back to disney not trying to disney-fy the muppets...ooh that would make me madder than anything!:attitude:

Sarah
  4. trekkie1701E

trekkie1701E New Member

Look at what Eisner & Co have done with Pixar! Pixar is itching to ditch Mikey as soon as their five movie deal is up, and I don't blame them.
  5. Chilly Down

Chilly Down Member

Guys, I've fought Disney for a long time myself, for all the reasons that you mentioned. They're all good reasons. But the fact that is EM.TV has seriously blown it, and the Henson company doesn't really have any good options. AOL Time Warner and Viacom are just as greedy of corporations as Disney is. And they're not even in the running anymore. The other companies that have been vying for the Muppets are too small; they won't be able to fund that many productions, let alone create sufficient advertising for them when the product is finally released. And I don't believe the work would be of significantly better quality coming from companies other than Disney.

Disney has made some serious mistakes lately, and they're in financial trouble for sure. But they aren't going to go bankrupt tomorrow. They turn out a pretty constant stream of product, and for the most part it's well promoted. Plus, Disney merchandise is on toy shelves everywhere. And if the Muppets were bought by Disney, they could finally have more of a presence in the theme parks.

I hate to say it, but at this point, Disney is the Muppets' last best hope.
  6. sidcrowe

sidcrowe New Member

I'm not crazy about Disney either, but they're the lesser of the evils right now. Cripes, what if Valentine GOT the Muppets, drove them even MORE into the ground and then sold them again :eek:

Yeah, c'mon and take them, Disney:smirk:

By the way, here is something important: A scooter named after Pepe;)

http://www.benelli.com/novita_05_eng.htm
  7. sarah_yzma

sarah_yzma Active Member

8. sidcrowe

sidcrowe New Member

So, Sarah...are you gonna buy the scooter ;)
  9. sarah_yzma

sarah_yzma Active Member

hmm i have a dull penny....nope not enough!

Sarah
  10. Chilly Down

Chilly Down Member

Shouldn't there be a scooter named after Scooter? ;)
  11. sarah_yzma

sarah_yzma Active Member

it's too early in the morning for me to think...i mean a normal person would be sleeping right now!

Sarah
  12. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

As for my opinion, dig the archives and you'll know how I feel.

Still, sorta off topic, though I got REALLY excited when I read the article a few minutes ago, I still got VERY upset when I read the Creature Shop, the CREATURE SHOP, won't be part of any deal, whether it be Disney or anyone. Just as a personal Henson fan, my anger boils at this point. This is when I really get p*ssed at the whole EM.TV debacle. The Henson division which is a leader in its field, created creatures in my favorite movies, and even blended with the Muppets in projects like JHH, is now separated from Henson. Unless Disney (or whoever) can also buy THEM separately, or if even Henson just builds yet another creature effects shop (heck, call it Muppetronics), I'll just be ticked off in that sense. I just wish there was an explanation.

Back to Disney, just wanna say (though it don't matter), March 7 was Michael Eisner's 61st birthday. Yep, don't matter.
  13. sidcrowe

sidcrowe New Member

Sarah: Normal person? Jeez, not too many here ;)

Chilly Down: A scooter named after a scooter? Nah, that'd make too much sense.

Let's stick with the transport named after our favourite king prawn :rolleyes:
  14. JamieDenny

JamieDenny New Member

Eisner 61???

Possibly the fact that Eisner is 61 is significant, I'm I'm sure the guy doesn't plan on working too far past his retirement age.
    The muppets would be a perfect parting gift to Disney and would probably boost his retirment package in line with share value.

Just a thought :confused:
    Jamie
  15. Muppets1985

Muppets1985 Member

YIPPY!!!!!!!!! YEAHHHHHHHHHH

:) OMG WOW!!! Too cool for me, I'm jsy REALLY happy when I JUST read this ,I HOPE this goes, and ENDS this week!:excited: : God I love this! Okay ....Go disney, go disney, disney, go Disney!!!:D

bye **A VEARY HAPPY Stevie....again!**:D

PS If Disney gets them I would LOVE to see "Dark Crystal" in Disney's Animal Kingdom ;)
  16. JamieDenny

JamieDenny New Member

Hmmm

Stevie,
    This will be the third time that Disney has tried to buy the Muppets, statistcally I wouldn't hold my breath, or in your case doing Virtual Victory Dances.
    The Disney deal is faaar from done:rolleyes:
    Jamie
  17. Muppets1985

Muppets1985 Member

Re: Hmmm

LOL Yeahhhhh I know that Jamie, but what Mr. Patto Head sayed in Toy Story "Hay! I can dream can't I?" hehe:D :D
  18. BlueFrackle

BlueFrackle Active Member

Jamie,

Your talking to someone who listens to Potato's...

:p
  19. Muppets1985

Muppets1985 Member

Re: Jamie,

Yessss BlueFrackle that too and I love...

MUFFINS!!!!:D :p
  20. Chilly Down

Chilly Down Member

BoyRaisin: I'm also disgusted that the Henson company will be splintered once again. And what sense does it make? If you look at the past decade, it's not Kermit and co. that have been making money for the company, it's been the Creature Shop, an awards-winning leader in the industry for special effects. Unless it's not that Disney's unwilling to buy it, but that EM.TV is unwilling to sell it. I wouldn't like that, but at least it would make sense.

Sid: Oh. Well, then how about a shrimp named Scooter? :rolleyes: ;)

Stevie: I'd love to see Dark Crystal and Labyrinth in the Animal Kingdom. That was actually talked about a few years ago at the last buyout attempt. Unfortunately, if the Creature Shop is not part of the Disney deal, it seems unlikely this would happen. :(