Disney greenlights "The Muppet Show" comics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Pretty lame cover(no actual art), but I no doubt can't wait to get my paws on this preview issue.

Yeah. Haven't we seen that poser group photo a hundred times by now? I swear I have it as a kid's puzzle, among other things. Would have been great if they got the poser muppets in to shoot a special comic book cover.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
The cover says "Special preview cover", so that may not be the official one.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Doubtful - the Tokyopop are mangas - very full novel sized books that come out once or twice a year between editions...the Boom comics would be more standard "comic book" size.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
You know what? The artist tapped for the Disney Adventures' Muppet Comics supposedly is in talks to do the art on these per the CBR article above. That would be awesome.

IF they can pull of classic story retellings like the Pearl Bailey episode, then I'm okay--however, I don't want each book to be about that. I want it to be about The Muppet Show doing that kind of story on stage 'like' the Pearl Bailey episode. After all, so far it appears that the comic book is called The Muppet Show. I'm good with that.

Mark Waid is a fantastic writer and a fantastic guy. I'm glad he's working on this. He's very knowledgeable about everything DC, and I hope he's done homework on the Muppets and is a fan. I trust him with whatever comes of it!

Definitely an add-to in my collection.

matleo

Reaction score
Mark Waid is a fantastic writer and a fantastic guy. I'm glad he's working on this. He's very knowledgeable about everything DC, and I hope he's done homework on the Muppets and is a fan. I trust him with whatever comes of it!
Also well known for his stint on Fantastic Four, of which I'm also a fan. I think one of the things that Waid did well on FF was really give them a sense of fun, which is what both FF and the Muppets are about. I think if anyone in comics is prepared for this series, it's him.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know what? The artist tapped for the Disney Adventures' Muppet Comics supposedly is in talks to do the art on these per the CBR article above. That would be awesome.

IF they can pull of classic story retellings like the Pearl Bailey episode, then I'm okay--however, I don't want each book to be about that. I want it to be about The Muppet Show doing that kind of story on stage 'like' the Pearl Bailey episode. After all, so far it appears that the comic book is called The Muppet Show. I'm good with that.

Definitely an add-to in my collection.
Not me... I'd rather see all original stories with the Muppet characters. I never was too crazy about comic adaptions of anything... especially TV episodes. (though, to its credit, I really liked the Mirage published TMNT first movie adaption)

Any chance they'd have different writers and artists on board? and mayhaps the occassional reprint of muppet comics from Muppet Magazine?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Not me... I'd rather see all original stories with the Muppet characters. I never was too crazy about comic adaptions of anything... especially TV episodes. (though, to its credit, I really liked the Mirage published TMNT first movie adaption)

Any chance they'd have different writers and artists on board? and mayhaps the occassional reprint of muppet comics from Muppet Magazine?
I agree with you in part. I like the idea of taking what has been established (like an episode of Pigs in Space) and running further with the concept - past the one minute of jokes. The comics provide an opportunity to see the characters in a different light and I like that.

I would also like to see a more traditional look to the comics. I liked that Roger Langridge's conceptual Muppet look, but only for short Disney Adventures Magazine as originally planned. I think any artist given this opportunity should translate from what makes the puppets special first and then run with the design.

peyjenk

Reaction score
See, I kinda agree with the idea that the Muppets have always done classic stories... think of "Hey, Cinderella! and "The Frog Prince", and then there are the Robin Hood and Alice in Wonderland episodes of TMS, the Rowlf as Merlin segments on The Jim Henson Hour, the old Muppet Press Robin Hood book, and of course, MCC and MTI (which are both good movies, a point that is often forgotten on this forum). You could even stretch it a bit and say that GMC and MTM are genre movies retreading familiar ground with age-old plots.

My point is that the Muppets have always retold classic stories their own tongue-in-cheek way, and they've always done them well.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I would also like to see a more traditional look to the comics. I liked that Roger Langridge's conceptual Muppet look, but only for short Disney Adventures Magazine as originally planned. I think any artist given this opportunity should translate from what makes the puppets special first and then run with the design.

I'd love them to try to get Darryl Cargayle (I only vauguely remember his name) who did the comics from Muppet Magazine most of the time to work on a couple issues. I wish I could track down the issue with Chore Games. I swear he did that one. I just liked his style with the muppets.

See, I kinda agree with the idea that the Muppets have always done classic stories... think of "Hey, Cinderella! and "The Frog Prince", and then there are the Robin Hood and Alice in Wonderland episodes of TMS, the Rowlf as Merlin segments on The Jim Henson Hour, the old Muppet Press Robin Hood book, and of course, MCC and MTI (which are both good movies, a point that is often forgotten on this forum). You could even stretch it a bit and say that GMC and MTM are genre movies retreading familiar ground with age-old plots.
And they can draw whoever they want to be in it. Scooter, J.P. Grosse, any characters that haven't been seen due to not being recats. That's what makes the idea of retelling stories better. No human cast members to play second fiddle to... unlike MCC or OZ...

I'd also like to see breif TV or movie parodies (once again, like the Muppet magazine comics) done on occassion. Just more timeless films and shows. Something along the lines of I Love Piggy or something./

Status
Not open for further replies.