Disney greenlights "The Muppet Show" comics

Status
Not open for further replies.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Not to mention the fact that his speech bubble says "Wakka wakka". :rolleyes:
I didn't even notice that. It perfectly demonstrates the artist's lack of regard for the source material in researching such a basic phrase. He might as well have Miss Piggy say "yo" or "ich" instead of "moi". :mad:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I even wrote a script, but he never got around to drawing it for me. I also had Henson interested in it, but since I never got the sample done, the idea just went by the wayside and now somebody else has done it.
Should've called me. :smile:

----

Okay, I'd seen the Pigs in Space and was cool with the art there, but what is up with all this other stuff? That artwork is NOT befitting the Muppets. I mean, I'll buy to support it, but...woah.

I wish there were art up from the new book somewhere to see. I'd like to see what it looks like.

Frogboy, that art you posted looks more like fan-art stuff than something to pitch for an actual show. It's kind of disappointing.

Anybody remember Muppet Babies and Monsters, and they had segments of Pigs in Space and Kermit, Fozzie and Gonzo as reporters? Those were good designs for the characters.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
You're right. The wiki pitch art looks a little fan-like, but still better than the truly El Sleazo version of Fozzie from that comic. I do like their Zoot. It makes me smile for some reason. :cool:

YouTube has a clip of an animated Muppet episode with Fozzie, Piggy and Kermit and a clip that includes both an Animal cartoon and Pigs in Space one. I really would dig an animated Pigs in Space cartoon show on the Disney Channel sometime down the road. It's filled with options without sullying the Muppet brand or history. I see it with some sort of Kim Possible style look to it. :embarrassed:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
As long as the characters look decently like the characters they are supposed to represent, I'd be okay with it. The Disney Adventures' Pigs in Space is acceptable. The Fozzie is NOT. Ack. That is painful to the heart of this poor bear's fandom.

I also didn't mind Gilchrist's comic strip versions of The Muppets.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I would prefer more of a Frith look to the comic book art. After all, much of the Muppet look is from his conceptual art. I don't see why so many artists don't respect the origins of what came before their work - especially when carrying on a specific tradition. If this dude wanted to draw inebriated bears he should create his own. :embarrassed:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I But this isn't quite to my taste for carrying an entire comic. It seems more like a rip off than an homage or licensed product. :sympathy:
Yikes! What was that!

I really would dig an animated Pigs in Space cartoon show on the Disney Channel sometime down the road. It's filled with options without sullying the Muppet brand or history. I see it with some sort of Kim Possible style look to it. :embarrassed:
That would be really great if there was one. I just hope it would be popular with today audience to stay on for a traditional run of 65 episodes at least.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I would prefer more of a Frith look to the comic book art. After all, much of the Muppet look is from his conceptual art. I don't see why so many artists don't respect the origins of what came before their work - especially when carrying on a specific tradition. If this dude wanted to draw inebriated bears he should create his own. :embarrassed:
Cuz, honestly, how can you not like this picture? http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Image:Frith_Miss_Piggy.jpg

It's a shame art like that is unlikely for this comic. Does anyone else remember Patrick Spaziante? Now, that's who should be drawing the Muppet comics!

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I'm still wondering about what the appeal of this style is to classic or new fans? I get the look of these Mayhem, Muppet and Piggy passed-on animated pitches from the Wiki because they still retain some natural Muppetisms (well the Kermit one's a little wonky, but it's still just conceptual art rather than this other dude).
I'll say it before and I'll say it again, Janice looks like a deformed horse:smirk: Floyd and Zoot arent terrible, Dr Teeth and Animal look the best. Scooter...oh....*shudders*

IN the second one, Piggy looks like Angelica from All Grown Up, Gonzo is...ok, kermit is...oh wow and fozzie looks kinda like something out of dr Suess.

But this isn't quite to my taste for carrying an entire comic. It seems more like a rip off than an homage or licensed product. :sympathy:
OH-EM-GEE! My eyes! They burn! :eek:

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
I searched and I searched and I couldn't find anything on the internet showing the art from the preview book. Even the Boom Studios sight doesn't mention it, except for a picture of someone's homemade Kermit puppet holding a copy of the book so you can see the cover, which is a photograph. But I did find this paragraph:

Waid said that, as with the Pixar line, there is no definite artist attached to "Muppets" at this time. He did mention, however, that "our go-to guy on the Muppets is Roger Langridge, who was doing the Muppets material for Disney Adventures magazine before that was cancelled. He's probably better known right now for his work at Marvel doing some of the 'Marvel Monsters' books last summer,

"His stuff is hysterical. And he lo-o-oves the Muppets."

So, there's some additional information.

:stick_out_tongue:

On further inspection, it appears that Langridge is the one that drew the Fozzie Bear that everyone is complaining about (myself included). The one where he, for no apparent reason, traded in his trademark scarf for a neckerchief and says "Wakka wakka" instead of "Wokka wokka".

Count von Count

Reaction score
It's sad to me that there is going to be Muppet Comics, Because I was working on some myself. I do not know if I should finish what I have going, Or not.

I think Now I have to come up with something differnet.

Status
Not open for further replies.