1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Disney Channel Preps for Muppet "Mini Movies"

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by mrsieve, Jun 24, 2007.

1. frogboy4 Inactive Member

:attitude: Again, that is technically untrue. The Muppet Show's closing caused a bit of a stir in the entertainment community because it ended at the height of its popularity. Maybe it is perceived differently outside of the US and UK, but that's really what happened. I also see that Sesame and Muppet Show as remarkably different formats. I have to completely disagree with your last statement. And as a Muppet fan, to hear the words Muppets and novelty in the same sentence makes me cringe. :eek:
  2. wwfpooh New Member

Yeah, but would you want it to be Simpsons-like, going on and on until it did finally drive itself into the ground?
  3. frogboy4 Inactive Member

I know that Jim made the right decision and agree with it. I was disagreeing with the statement that some kind of "novelty" had worn off. It was that very perspective about the Muppet Show that made it such a hard-sell for television networks in the first place. Executives enjoyed the auditions, but felt it was a gimmick that would not last. It did. For five years and could have probably gone another five, but I'm glad they stopped the regular shows before then. I would, however, like them to bring it back with a fresh take. It's time. :)

And the Simpsons have had many rebirths. I wouldn't say the show has run itself into the ground - at all. They are responsible for some spotty seasons, but I think the program still has a few more good years on it. ;)
  4. beaker Well-Known Member

What, you mean millions of people didnt see From the Balcony,
    Del's Comedy Binge, or TBS.com presents Puppet Up online?
    :D
  5. beaker Well-Known Member

Its amazing, there is a chokehold on children's entertaining solely focused on
    ADHD cheap throwaway animated shows(Cartoon Network, Nick, Disney tv)
    but the bulk seems to be the High School Musical/Hannah Montanna tween girl crowd.

Yet, the very things I grew up with in the early to mid 80's(yeah Im old, ha)
    like the Transformers, GI Joe, Star Wars, and even later: Ninja Turtles
    is pretty much the bulk of what you see in the toy aisles(next to Naruto, Marvel movie films, and Pro Wrasslin')

In other words, not much has been created in some time that is an original concept with uniqueness thats marketed for kids.
  6. beaker Well-Known Member

I would call some of the rarely seen Land of Gorch Muppet skits pretty close to "going to far";) I absolutely loved the 80's Muppet period, it was a magical time and I liked everything that came out Muppet wise from then. Jim Henson Hour being my favorite, but as well Muppet Family Christmas, Muppet Babies, Fraggle Rock, Sesame Street specials, etc.

Clearly the backbone of the Muppets and Jim Henson legacy is pretty avant garde art installations, short films, whacked out tv commercials, existential concepts, etc; but I believe Jim's ultimate vision was to have a dualistic
    layer of promoting peace and laughter, with entertainment. I think this can perfectly be mixed with children's entertainment, such as Fraggle Rock.

The problem with Fraggle Rock, is that hardly anyone saw it on America since it was on HBO. That was a major blunder by JHC, as it shoulda been on CBS or PBS. The children it was partially meant for never got a chance to see it.

And now we see how there is "disclaimers" on Old School Sesame merely because the underlying social subtexts implied or alluded to are "not fitting" with the kids of today. That's how far we've regressed.
  7. beaker Well-Known Member

That's funny, because I could swear the Muppets have since 2000 been almost exclusively branded at the 20-40 year old crowd for nostalgic reasons.
  8. muppetperson Well-Known Member

Certainly that market is there, with Muppetfest and the retro products, but not exclusively, and if you look at most of the products, it is children's toys.(and i state most, but not all).
  9. muppetperson Well-Known Member

You dont like that "novelty" word ! The muppets are novel, that is a different look at something.I dont know why it is making you cringe, but lets agree to disagree.
    I guess you start knowing something is wrong when the Muppet Show gets a midnight timeslot.
    Plus the original TV station drops it and another picks it up (in Australia).
  10. TheJimHensonHour New Member

Yes,
    I doubt it was in the millions range...I watched it all but thats because I went looking.
  11. beaker Well-Known Member

Forgive my sarcastic tone, it's just bizarre JHC or Disney with Henson Alternative, Muppets, etc dont seem to know about the viral appeal of youtube and myspace video. This stuff would easily be front page of either sites if they put em on there as well
  12. frogboy4 Inactive Member

No worries. :) I see the characters as timeless rather than novel or a trend, but I get that's not what you meant. The characters have certainly recognized trends and poked fun at them! That's part of their bread and butter. I just see the Muppets as "evergreen" however they aren't being marketed that way.

Much of their late 90s/pre-VMX and Oz work seemed to date them. I see Muppets From Space as an example of trying too hard with them. The Muppets just need to be able to be themselves.

The Muppet Show, or any reruns from three decades ago, being shown at midnight hours doesn't surprise me. Reruns don't even play in the states at all. The Muppets aren't the only syndication casualty here. It appears that much classic, quality entertainment is abandoned for cheap and Raymond-type shows that are an effortless fit for uncreative programmers. And lets not forget that some of these are packaged sweetheart deals!

On another note, I'm spending a few days in Virginia with family, (niece and nephews) and noticed Disney has put out Muppet paper plates for kids. This introduces them to the characters and is a great marketing decision. Fozzie, Gonzo (with his purple nose), Animal and Kermit are all featured in bright bold colors and handsome current-looking cartoon graphics. I need to post these somewhere. :o

Disney will never want the Muppets to be as big as the Mouse or probably even Pooh, but they are trying to bring them back. Lets just hope there are more quality items and eventually a quality project!
  13. muppetperson Well-Known Member

Yes, I am thinking "novel' in terms of unique, not fad.Indeed the Muppets are evergreen to still have loyal fans, but i know some adults and kids have a short interest span and then what to see something else.Me, I am a life long fan and will never tire of them.Lets hope Disney's slow approach(absence makes the heart grow fonder) works and we see regular muppet projects.
  14. frogboy4 Inactive Member

It always appears to be a follow-through issue with Disney. They set things up just to let them fizzle out. They have a sort of Muppet ADD. They've got to pick a plan and follow it through.:mad:
  15. Drtooth Well-Known Member

And yet, Sesame Workshop did. They have their own video site now. Go figure. Too bad the others didn't figure that out yet.

Hmmmmmmm.... Never seen those. They are new, right. Not that I doubt you, just want to make sure. Last time I've seen a Non-Sesame Street Muppet on a kid's plate was when Bear in the Big Blue House was around.

Scarey thought. the only one holding Muppets truely in the public eye is Elmo.