Disney buying Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode VII coming in 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Disney didn't do wonder with the Muppets until they saw the 2011 movie was successful enough that they had reasons to actually use the characters. Disney's also been wanting the SST Muppets ever since the original deal between Eisner and Henson, but luckily, SW doesn't plan on selling out.
The failure of Muppets' Wizard of Oz really put a damper on things for a while.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
:sigh:

So, I see a commercial for Disney Parks, and sure enough, the centerpiece of the commercial is Darth Vader... boy, Disney sure didn't waste anytime is plastering their name all over this franchise, just like the Muppets.

Drtooth

Reaction score
So, I see a commercial for Disney Parks, and sure enough, the centerpiece of the commercial is Darth Vader... boy, Disney sure didn't waste anytime is plastering their name all over this franchise, just like the Muppets.

Disney had Star Wars at their theme parks for quite some time. Yet, due to the deal already established with Universal, we're not going to see the Marvel characters over there for quite some time, if any. So it really isn't so much a priority thing.

But you have to admit, Star Wars has a much bigger fan base than the Muppets do, despite the many Muppet/Star Wars connections.

The failure of Muppets' Wizard of Oz really put a damper on things for a while.
That was their Batman and Robin. It hurt the franchise real bad. It took them a while to get past that, and even then, they're a little too careful about it. It really was a bad project to set the franchise out on. Especially since it wasn't even planned as a Disney's first project. It was rushed out pretty fast though. Heck, that film pretty much destroyed Wonderful World of Disney period! Opposite the Daytime Emmys (when they meant something) on opening night of Star Wars episode 3 was no help either.

But face it. Star Wars and Marvel didn't really need to be reestablished, as they're titan names that have been doing well for themselves before Disney's sale (though Marvel was very close to bankruptcy in the 90's). The Muppets, while having a huge TV hit in VMX didn't have so much a good time with MFS. Which is why it took so long for another theatrical movie.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
What happened to the live action Star Wars TV series that was talked about some years ago? And, much as I love Star Wars and The Muppets, the one I'm most concerned about with this deal is Indiana Jones- I'm wondering how Disney buying LucasFilm will affect the possibility of a fifth Indiana Jones movie- which I'd love to see if Harrison Ford, Steven Spielberg and George Lucas will get together and do it.:smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
What happened to the live action Star Wars TV series that was talked about some years ago? And, much as I love Star Wars and The Muppets, the one I'm most concerned about with this deal is Indiana Jones- I'm wondering how Disney buying LucasFilm will affect the possibility of a fifth Indiana Jones movie- which I'd love to see if Harrison Ford, Steven Spielberg and George Lucas will get together and do it.:smile:
A Live action Star Wars show would require quite a lot of money and planning. The murmurs of a Star Wars TV series go back quite a while, and nothing was done with that concept. Lucas himself stated he wanted it to have no less than 100 episodes. That clearly scared off any network who was looking at a season by season 13-26 episodes. And I'd say if it was an hour show, 100 hours... budget plus run time... perfectly formulated to scare off networks. That's quite a commitment, no matter how strong the Star Wars brand is. And, I guess they had Clone Wars coming, so they didn't really have a good direction for a live action series as well anyway.

As for Indiana Jones, I'd rather anything but another movie. If the fourth one got such a horrible reception (I still fail to see why it's that terrible. Aliens are no more ridiculous than melting Nazis. There wasn't that much reality to begin with), a fifth one would be out of the question. I could see a series of novels, a video game maybe... but not a fifth movie. A cartoon series would be awesome, but at least 25 years too late.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Okay- that makes sense about the live action Star Wars series. Thanks for the info on that.
As to Indiana Jones, I'm a longtime fan who has seen all the movies, grew up watching The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles on TV, has read all the English language novels released back in the '90s through 2000s (and I own all but one- the most recent Steve Perry book, "Indiana Jones and the Army of the Dead" was not all that great...), and I also have most all the PC video games that have been released (Unfortunately, the last Indy game, "Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings" was not released for PC- and I don't have a Wii or PS2 or XBox360 to play it on.)
But yeah- I would welcome further novels (particularly the "Staff of Kings" novelization that Rob MacGregor had actually completed and cover art had been created for it- but for some reason the publisher reneged on releasing it...) and further video games- hopefully for the PC as well as the various video game platforms.
A cartoon series would be really cool, but yeah- unfortunately, I don't know how well it would do now with kids today. (And for the record, I saw "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" in theaters- it was great to see an Indiana Jones movie in theaters! I LOVE it! Just as much as the other movies- I LOVE them all.):smile:
I just know there has been talk from Harrison Ford, Steven Spielberg and George Lucas on making a 5th. Indy movie- if they want to do one more with Ford, I would certainly welcome it as an Indy fan- but I do feel they probably should do one last one and leave it at that. Unfortunately, Ford is just about too old for action movies, really- he's already pushing it, but as long as he is up for the role- I'm cool with it.
And I don't want to see anyone play the role of Indiana Jones in new movies, so I say if they're going to do it- hurry up and do it soon. Otherwise, just let it be.

Status
Not open for further replies.