Disney and Henson: After All That

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Muppet Central News: Disney and Henson Through the Years

August 28, 1989: Merger agreement between The Walt Disney Company and Henson Associates, Inc., is announced

December 13, 1990: Henson Associates, Inc. and The Walt Disney Company agree to end merger negotiations

July 26, 1999: Co President Brian Henson, 35, son of founder Jim Henson who died unexpectdly nearly a decade ago, said possibilities could include "strategic partnerships". Henson's efforts to stay independent may have been scuttled by last weeks flop of the movie Muppets In Space and a disappointing response to Muppets Tonight, the recent TV series. Eisner, who could probably buy the company for the £364 million he took home in pay and share options last year, said he had "always been interested in expanding our relationship" He said buying Henson "wouldn't be the last thing I'd think about". The previous deal collapsed after Jim Henson's death in May 1990.

January 30, 2001: Disney is understood to be keeping the situation at EM.TV under review, as the US entertainment giant harbours a long-term interest in the Jim Henson Company, creator of the Muppets, owned by EM.TV.

Executives at Disney's headquarters in Burbank, California, are said to be interested in an opportunity to buy the Henson business if a deal between Kirch and EM.TV collapses.

April 2, 2001: But most observers believe Henson ultimately will end up part of the Mouse House.

"Henson would be a spectacular fit for Disney," says Sutro analyst David Miller. "I don't think they want to get beat on this one."

December 20, 2001: But Eisner told the German newsmagazine Focus in an interview released Thursday that The Jim Henson Co., maker of the Muppet Show and Sesame Street, is up for sale at a price that "is not realistic."

Eisner isn't in talks with the German firm EM.TV, which bought The Jim Henson Co., for $680 million in February 2000. "But you can tell them they can give me a call," Focus quoted him as saying.

December 18, 2002: Walt Disney Co. is preparing to offer about $135 million for Jim Henson (news) Co., a bid that likely would position it to win the assets of the renowned Muppet maker more than a decade after it walked away from the chance, according to people familiar with the situation.

March 8, 2003: Walt Disney Co. and other contenders are back in talks to buy Kermit the Frog and his Muppet friends from Germany's EM.TV & Merchandising AG, sources familiar with the situation said on Friday.

March 19, 2003: Asked by a shareholder at Disney's annual meeting in Denver whether Disney would buy Henson, Eisner said in Webcast comments: "I would not be surprised to hear that there would be an announcement soon. I wouldn't be surprised that the Walt Disney Co. would be finally culminating years of romance."

May 5, 2003: The Walt Disney chairman is said to be closer to working out a deal to buy the popular Muppets characters for $100 million - $70 million cash and $30 million in assumed debt.

May 8, 2003: The Henson children -- Brian, Cheryl, Heather, John and Lisa -- were spurred to take action when they realized that Kermit the Frog and other of their late father's creations were poised to be acquired by a small rights-holding company rather than a deep-pocketed major like the Walt Disney Co., which had been negotiating for Henson on and off with EM.TV but pulled out of the bidding process for good about two weeks ago, sources said.

July 11, 2003: Rivkin said the Henson family is planning a complete makeover for the firm, which is why he is in Sun Valley right now looking to make strategic alliances.

Sources close to the Hensons said that may put to rest speculation that the Henson family only planned to hold the company for a short time before selling it to a larger media outfit like the Walt Disney Co., which had also bid for the home of the Muppets.

November 19, 2003: Now that things have settled down a bit at Kermit the Frog's lily pad, the Jim Henson Co. is actively talking to studio suitors about partnership deals that could encompass everything from film and TV production to home video distribution and merchandising rights to various Henson properties.

Sources said Henson is in discussions with the Walt Disney Co. and Viacom, both of which have a range of outlets for children's programming and the kind of global distribution muscle needed to spread the Muppet brand name.

FEBRUARY 17, 2004: The Walt Disney Company and The Jim Henson Company today announced that they have entered into an agreement under which Disney will acquire the beloved Muppets and Bear in the Big Blue House properties from Henson.

And from the 2/17 letter to the Henson employees: It took us fifteen years, but we finally got it right. The combination of The Walt Disney Company and Jim Henson's Muppets was Jim Henson's and Michael Eisner's dream, and it has remained the dream of the Henson family and our Company ever since...We are thrilled that, after so many years, and so many heartbreaking near misses, these classic characters have found their perfect and permanent home, where they will live on forever and finally receive the kind of distribution and marketing investment that a small company like ours could not provide.

Well, there you go. Disney and Henson, in terms of buyouts and such, through the years brought to you by Muppet Central News.

AND that was my 1000th message! And what a message it was. :wink:

Bye now. :zany:

McFraggle

Reaction score
Excellent breakdown. Good job and congrats on your 1000th post.

The Storyteller

Reaction score
(My Opinion!)I would love to have seen "Jim Henson's Muppets" to stay at The JIM HENSON Company! That's my opinion! That *** mouse swallows up every thing! :boo: Now it's golden Empire is crumbling! :crazy: HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! :crazy:
Went a little crazy there! Sorry! :halo:
But disney is in serious dept! :smile:

Markus

Reaction score
This won't help to promote the thing which made
the Muppets so famous: The Muppet show !
Disney will use the Muppets only to promote
their own projects and for not compete with them
again. :crazy: