Decline of entertainment?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Oh, Smurffit!

Well, the Smurf teaser just went up on Yahoo Movies. Good news is that they are going with the portal in Central Park theme, bad news...well...if the hip-hop music doesn't tip it off - it appears to have been Chipmunked. I hope there's more depth to it than this.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, the Smurf teaser just went up on Yahoo Movies. Good news is that they are going with the portal in Central Park theme, bad news...well...if the hip-hop music doesn't tip it off - it appears to have been Chipmunked. I hope there's more depth to it than this.
They're probably won't be. Really... There probably won't be. I'll give the movie a shot when I see a better trailer, but it looks like the same old crap painted blue. And the character designs are a LOT uglier than i thought they'd be. At least it's OLD rap from around the era they were on TV. And at least it
s not "I'm Blue bababab" or whatever it was.

Still pretty ticked, but as long as 1/100000th of the movie take place in the middle ages, and some brat doesn't cry them to life, I'm only at disappointed and disgusted. if it were any worse, there would be a big blue bonfire of my beloved old toys and I'd pledge my undying allegiance to Asterix, Lucky Luke and Tintin ONLY!

Really, Paramount? Thanks for nothing for dropping these. Sony is CRAAAAAAAAP.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Hm, seems I was pretty close. It'd still be neat to merge this plot with Smurfette's origin, but meh ... I'll take "the ruthless loser wants to exploit a valuable resource" thing. Who knows, we might get Dinosaurs-level mockery here. *crosses fingers*

Drtooth

Reaction score
You could make an entire film about Smurfette's origin as far as I'm concered. Remember, she was a part of Gargamel's plot to destroy the Smurfs, and she was originally pretty ugly looking, until Papa Smurf helped her out. Blend that with the black blood Smurfs story (changing the color, or course) and you'd have 90 minutes of something GOOD.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
LOL, then you'd get a million vlogs from Nostalgia Chick about how good the Smurfs are even though they were pretty mean/callous/chauvinistic to Smurfette, then she shows how good she is by becoming a Barbie Smurf, and then no one still really likes her except to oggle her ... :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's the problem. The story is decades old, after all. Hanna Barbera didn't make it up. It was one of the original comics. And then we'd have the "We need strong female role model" types whining their heads off, yet ignoring really bad stereotypes all over. but the story can be altered slightly to accommodate that. Make her more assertive towards Gargamel, and get rid of the whole sub story about her being ugly... just make her want to be prettier, and then refuse Plastic Smurfery at the end.

The problem with this movie is the same problem I have with Ninja Turtles. The cartoon series absolutely crushed its own legacy, and now everyone thinks the Turtles just run around eating pizza and saying "Cowabunga!" They remember the cartoons well enough, but they totally forget where they came from. And that's why there was so much garbage like rock concerts, easy reader books, and various other bad projects that gave the turtles a uniform personality based on the surfer dude personality they opted for Mikey in the first cartoon series.

Same thing here with the Smurfs, only the cartoons are supposedly closer to the comics and the US has never had any of them to my knowledge. Everyone remembers the cartoon, or what they think they remember, and a lot of people just find them those annoying little blue things or some 1980's nostalgia, despite being created in 1958. And that's exactly the problem plaguing this movie... it's a nostalgic cash grab, and not treated like Spider-Man, Batman or anything with a more serious legacy that can be conjured up.

it would be like... if every version of Spider-Man was based off of the 1960's series, and every version of it would be a remake, only making more and more fun of itself as time went on... instead of saying... okay, let's start from scratch and do it this way, but keep to the integrity of the project.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And to the surprise of no one, I'm gonna say the trailer for Cats and Dogs 2 was painful to watch.

I mean, reference to Hamster Dance? Jeez! Got any Monica Lewinski/Bill Clinton jokes you wanna get in there too? Any Y2K bug gags? Enron references maybe?

I will also say that Tangled doesn't look all that impressive, either. Looks like Disney wants to be Shrek now, and even Dreamworks has had enough of that. The jaded "let's make fun of Fairy Tales" in long 90 minute intervals has gone cold since 2005 or whenever Lionsgate released that appalling "Happily Ne'ver After" movie.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
HELLO, HOLLYWOOD, GET A CLUE! :grouchy:

There are plenty of people out there who know and love the Smurfs! You don't have to "commercialize" them.

I just hope it's not as bad as it looks. I was really hoping this would be a more traditional (for lack of a better word) Smurf adventure, not "The Smurfs Take Manhattan". :rolleyes:

On a hopeful note, with Hank Azaria as Gargamel there's at least a chance there's going to be something good in this.

And now, I cling to my false hope that, at least, they won't screw up Yogi Bear (notgonnahappen).

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
Well, I refuse to look at that Smurf link, but I saw a trailer, possibly the same one, for it when I went see Toy Story 3. Recently, I've been watching that show (along with others) frequently on Boomerang, and I really like the idea of the show and there could be a good movie made out of this series, but not this one.

Also, is Disney's new movie The Sorcerer's Apprentice supposed to be a modernized, human remake of the Mickey cartoon? I didn't see too many things that could make a connection between the two, but the trailer for the new movie features the famous scene with all the brooms coming to life.

Nick22

Reaction score
:confused: OH MY GOSH. what has been done to the smurfs? oh brother. why is it fun to take characters and throw them into new york city? enchanted, smurfs. why? why do they need to come to a big city? let them live peacefully. i for one, will probly be sitting here at my computer for an hour or so, ranting. so get ready.

i think i'll start with tv. don't hate it, don't love it. disney channel makes me gag (except that's so raven. i used to love that show), some nickelodeon stuff is OKAY. it used to be a lot better. i used to like reality shows, not so much now. american idol and survivor are getting boring and everyones bored with it. i rully like glee. i can say that. i rully do. i also watch degrassi.

uhm movies. haha. okay i guess. but theres no new movies that i (or anyone else) will ever remember 10 years from now. avatar, definitely, and from what i've heard, toy story 3. other than that, not so much. every single movie that comes out is, like, the same, i guess. i dunno. like, my favorite movies are all old. the goonies, grease, the wizard of oz, titanic. that's four of them at least. and muppet movies are in a different category (in my head of course) as well as disney movies. haha. i like things to be organized.

music. hmmm. i listen to mostly classic rock, and most of my friends tell me that i have horrible taste in music. i like mostly everything, like, i dont mind listening to most stuff. but like, the jonas borthers, justin bieber, miley cyrus, etc, naw. no thanks. some songs, MAYBE. i stress the maybe. lady gaga, is okay i guess. eh. rap/hip hop-no no no no no. how can you consider that talent? talking fast? no. songs should also have MEANING. a real meaning. not an inappropriate meaning. taking a bunch of words and putting them to music doesnt make a song.

appearance. i hate it when girls straighten their hair everyday and then have bangs hanging in their face. it's not ugly, but i'm sick of seeing it. skinny jeans, tight tshirt from hollister, aeropostale, abercrombie, etc. i wanna see something different. something unique. guys look stupid when they throw their hair to the side. my hair is long, but it curly and i dont flip it. naw. no no no. it seriously annoys me.

phew. okay. i think i'm done. if there was a time machine, i'd be living in either the 60s or the 80s. cause those were both pretty awesome times in history.