Danger Mouse and Powerpuff Girls both announced for comebacks

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Art.

I dont like how that animation style looks or flows. There's something very offputting to me about how round everything is
Wow, really? That's one of my fave parts of Steven Universe, I love the art and animaton, lol.
I don't like the animation or art for the new Powerpuff Girls, but I think both shows look very different from eachother. Steven Universe has much better coloring, character designs and much more fluid animation.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I like the look here more than I did the last seasons after the movie. I never liked their heads being that big compared to their bodies, the Professor's creepy looking diagonal pupil eyes, or overly pointy Mojo Jojo. And the look of the Dance Pants Revolution episode was...ick. I mean, the look would have been fine for an art print or some sort of merchandising, but it looked awful animated. I did like the look of the original show as it just came out, and I liked it when they started going digital and things got cleaner, just before the dreaded movie style redesign. Though I think the new odd expressions with their eyes is very offputting. Especially when they get the surprised look and only have that one black pupil, or when Bubbles was super excited about winning tickets. Animation seems more fluid than when they went digital the first time. I'm actually mixed about that since the stunted animation worked in PPG's retro-Underdog style favor.

I liked the Derbytantes in the 2nd episode, and how they have a man (cisgender or otherwise) on their team, so they're nice and progressive there. I also like the little detail in that they took Princess Morbucks' cash offer to pretend to befriend Buttercup only because they needed the money to maintain their equipment, but genuinely liked her once they saw the strong bond she had with her sisters in coming to their rescue. I hope they appear more often as allies as the series goes on.
When I heard one of the first episodes featured Princess, I grimaced. I never liked Princess, she was good in a couple episodes that wrote for her well, but she's my least favorite recurring villain. I mean, I liked her more than Roach Coach, since the character was all about Punny Name, but they only used him once on the first episode. But I think they really wrote her well here. I love that Monster Uber App and hope to see it as a recurring theme. I also like how Bubbles and Blossom were that let down by Buttercup they actually let her join. That seems to be planting a great seed of discontent between the older girls.

I'll say that at first I was a little turned off by them being huge fans of a boy band, but I did think they captured the character's reaction to the band perfectly. Bubbles falls for the girly aspects, Buttercup puts on a reluctant face but still has a reluctant crush on one of the members (similar to Louise Belcher), and Blossom loves the organization and professionalism of the band's manager. It's not like these characters are radically different or Flanderized terrible. The writers at least get the characters and kept their personalities more or less in tact. I mean, this is essentially how PPG would have been in a post-Star Butterfly vs the Forces of Evil, MLP:FIM world. Heck, I'd say if PPG took a cue from Spongebob and was still on the air, the episodes would be similar to this and would be considered an improvement. Because if it's on that long, you know the episodes would suck. And I think that all things considered, this wasn't as much of a let down as the last season of Johnny Bravo with the original creator, but without Butch Hartman and Seth MacFarline.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Heh. I rather liked the one where they have candy induced hangovers. In fact, I'd say this was my favorite episode so far. And I have to admit something that would tick off the PPG fanbase, this episode actually felt like it was part of the original series. Like a lost episode or something. Lost season 5 pre-goofy Rock Opera episode, but lost episode none the less. Mojo was in it in the exact way he'd be used in the self satire phase of the show. Even managed to have a cameo from the girl from "Superfriends" (the PPG episode, that is...the one that says she's an accident).

And...uh... I thought the big controversy was that they recast all the roles. I didn't exactly read the credits (as they were crushed to the side of the screen), but it sounded like they got Tom Kane and Mojo's VA's back. And both characters reverted to their pre-movie look, which is good.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Heh. I rather liked the one where they have candy induced hangovers. In fact, I'd say this was my favorite episode so far.
It was a nice parody of The Hangover, going by the title. And at least the candy didn't turn them into violent junkies this time. :big_grin:

Even managed to have a cameo from the girl from "Superfriends" (the PPG episode, that is...the one that says she's an accident).
They even called back on Bubbles' Spanish-speaking ability during "El Flashback-o". So the new writers seem to be savvy-enough fans of the original to make references like that.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay. That was pretty much exactly like an episode of the original show. I mean, substance wise it was like the Lou Gubrious episode, but...actually really good. More PPG-ish than an actual PPG episode. Though I have to admit, I was really hoping that considering how he sounded that Allegro the Panda would have been revealed to be Him. Seems like that was a lost oppertunity. Loving the Professor having something more like his original look, slightly less blocky. I can't tell you how much "refugee from My Life as a Teenage Robot" Professor's eyes creep me out.

Though I wonder. I get the idea of bringing old characters back, but since when did Ms. Keane become a grade school teacher? Really seems like that should be explained in another episode. You'd think they'd get a different teacher other than the need to bring a familiar face back.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Okay. That was pretty much exactly like an episode of the original show. I mean, substance wise it was like the Lou Gubrious episode, but...actually really good. More PPG-ish than an actual PPG episode.
Juxtaposing the silly & whimsical with the dark & morbid is definitely PPG's theme, though this one actually does it with ideas and subject matter rather than just the settings.

Though I have to admit, I was really hoping that considering how he sounded that Allegro the Panda would have been revealed to be Him. Seems like that was a lost oppertunity.
At least Him is still slated to appear, as he's in the intro. I'm sure they'll be saving him for the real F'ed up episodes. :big_grin:

Though I wonder. I get the idea of bringing old characters back, but since when did Ms. Keane become a grade school teacher? Really seems like that should be explained in another episode. You'd think they'd get a different teacher other than the need to bring a familiar face back.
Unless this really is a hard reboot and not a continuation, I wouldn't think too much about that decision. I can suspend disbelief in this instance.

Drtooth

Reaction score
While this episode wasn't exactly my favorite of the bunch so far (though I liked it a little more than the Monster Island episode), I really like how they handled The Mayor of Townsville here. If there's one thing I think we can all agree this series gets right it's that distinction between the Mayor being a goofy, bumbling lack-wit the character began as and the minus minded manchild of later episodes. Here he was delightfully oblivious and just a bit dense, just like his first appearance in the series. There's a difference between whimsical stupidity and dumb guy jokes. Hopefully it won't fall too far into the latter come future episodes.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Townsville sure is full of Flat Earth Atheists. They know full well that their city is frequently victimized by giant monsters, a talking monkey, and the devil himself, but unicorns? That's just plain silly! :rolleyes:

Well, at least there weren't obvious MLP references with said unicorns. And there is hope for Donny to become another recurring ally of the girls. :smile: