Converting SD Video in HD?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Industry standard is Avid, which I've never liked. But every place has their own preference.

As for SD to HD, it depends on the original video source. Really, unless it's film, which has no real set aspect ratio, all video sources are limited to their respective aspect ratio and size. By taking something SD and just exporting it to an HD file, you're not really improving the quality, you're just blowing up the footage to a larger size. There's some article out there about this kind of thing involving one of the modern-ish Star Trek series, where all the special, computer effects were produced for regular TV size, while everything else was film and the final products were cut on tape; the film parts can be transferred to HD, but the effects couldn't, which is why they'd never be fully upgraded to HD without spending millions of dollars to essentially re-cut the entire series.

Sesame's Throwback YouTube clips show you what happens in that scenario. Until they went digital, everything was tape (except the cartoons and films possibly). And you can't really upconvert tape without looking the the way their videos do - all interlaced and whatnot (though that may also be caused by timeline and export settings).

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Industry standard is Avid, which I've never liked. But every place has their own preference.
It is frustrating how many video companies seem to prefer Avid. I mentioned this on another thread, but it ****** me off so much that I threw a chair across my apartment. Very rare instance I lose my cool like that. (But, in fairness, I was under the stress of getting all projects done with finals creeping up afterwards). I also really dislike their color correction tool.

But, eh. If this is what the big companies prefer....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Also, in regards to Sesame Workshop's interlacing quality - I've seen so many of their videos looking like that that it's just something I've ended up ignoring.

Heck, I'll even say they aren't as bad as my old uploads from 2007 when I was oblivious to stuff like shutter speed and framerate when capturing clips.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
For me, it's just very disappointing that a leading brand in media production is turning out content with such improper quality control. They've been guilty of this kind of thing since they first started putting classic clips online (where clips have beginnings and endings cut off, poor audio, weird coloring).

I complain, but even things like the videos of Stephen Colbert's talk show are heavily interlaced. I don't get what they're doing.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
By taking something SD and just exporting it to an HD file, you're not really improving the quality, you're just blowing up the footage to a larger size.
I do believe I've already said that.