Confusion at the end of Muppets Take Manhattan

Vic Romano

Reaction score
timrikthegorf said:
MTM Kermit is the character of Kermit in MTM. THE Kermit is the KErmit who played MTM Kermit. The same goes for GMC Kermit and THE Kermit. GMC Kermit is a news reporter and the twin brother of GMC Fozzie. THE Kermit is a movie star that played a a character in GMC named Kermit.

So, when I say MTM KErmit, I mean the character of Kermit who is defined only by the sotry in MTM. MTM Kermit never made a movie, he went from college to broadway and was never famous, while THE Kermit played a part in MTM and is famous. It's hard to define when the muppets play characters of the same name in a movie with similar personalities. It's like when Liza was in MTM. She played herself in the movie, but a frog didn't take her picture off the wall in "real life". Only in movie in which she happened to play herself.

It's very hard to explain, but at least I know what I'm talking about. :big_grin:
Okay, so you define the different movies as different dimensions? Sorta'?

muppetsforlife

Reaction score
I'm sure there are lots of wives out there who would be that excited that their husbands kissed them. :flirt:

In the kermit and Piggy muppetism bonus feature on the mtm dvd. She hits Kermit and when he asks who she is, she says "i'm your wife" but I think maybe she was trying to trick him after she had knocked the sense out of him. Watch that and tell me what you guys think.

T

timrikthegorf

Vic Romano said:
Okay, so you define the different movies as different dimensions? Sorta'?
No, they are just movies. Nothing in them can be considered muppet hostory. Even the Muppet Movie doesn't match up with what one would call muppet history. It just so happened that the characters in these movies has the same names as the muppet actors.

It's like the Drew Carey Show. The main character is Drew Darey played by Drew Carey, but they aren't the same person and their lives do not match.

T

timrikthegorf

muppetsforlife said:
I'm sure there are lots of wives out there who would be that excited that their husbands kissed them. :flirt:

In the kermit and Piggy muppetism bonus feature on the mtm dvd. She hits Kermit and when he asks who she is, she says "i'm your wife" but I think maybe she was trying to trick him after she had knocked the sense out of him. Watch that and tell me what you guys think.
This is a case of the muppet writers either forgetting that the 2 characters married or simply deciding not to go with it anymore. It was made quite clear that Piggy and Kermit were suppose to be married. This was then dropped for some reason after Jim Henson died. I'm not really sure why this was done.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
timrikthegorf said:
No, they are just movies. Nothing in them can be considered muppet hostory. Even the Muppet Movie doesn't match up with what one would call muppet history. It just so happened that the characters in these movies has the same names as the muppet actors.

It's like the Drew Carey Show. The main character is Drew Darey played by Drew Carey, but they aren't the same person and their lives do not match.
I understand your point now, Thanks!

muppetsforlife

Reaction score
Yeah I always thought they were married too but trying to make sense out of a timeline based on the movies is difficult. Maybe if they come out with a new muppet show they will be able to follow a story more. But thats just my wishful thinking for a new muppet show. :smile:

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Here is how I think the productions workm I have not listed them all just for time, but most of the specials could be real events of the "real" Muppets (most of which are also proformers who act in movies; whereas others show them as them):

The Muppet Movie - The "real" Muppets present a movie staring them as themselves showing how they met. It is a hollywood recreation of real events.

The Great Muppet Caper - The Muppets put on a film where they play fake character (some of which have the same names as their real conterparts)

Muppet Christmas Carol - The Muppets put on a film where they play fake character.

Muppet Treasure Island- The Muppets put on a film where they play fake character.

Muppets From Space- This is a look into the life of the "real" Muppets. It is a real events.

The Muppet Show - This is a look into the life of the "real" Muppets as they put on a weekly stage show. It is a real events.

Muppets Tonight - This is a look into the life of the "real" Muppets as they put on a weekly TV show. It is real events.

Very Merry Muppet Christmas - This is a look into the life of the "real" Muppets as they work on their show. It is real events.

Muppet Babies - This is a cartoon of "what if" the muppets knew each other as kids. It is not a real event.

Rocky Mountain Holiday - This is a look into the life of the "real" Muppets as they go out with friend John Denver. It is real events.

muppetsforlife

Reaction score
Where would that leave MTM? If MM is real events and MTM is real events, why would the muppets be struggling college graduates trying to be on Broadway if they had already made it big in Hollywood? :confused:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
muppetsforlife said:

Did you mean "The Muppet Show" DVD? The only one I have in DVD form is Volume 6, so I haven't seen too many of the Muppetisms. Could somebody describe this Kermit/Piggy scene in more detail? Thanks.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
GelflingWaldo said:
Muppets From Space- This is a look into the life of the "real" Muppets. It is a real events.
I don't know about that one. That would mean that :concern: really is an alien, and Bobo's really a sidekick for that villian that Jeffery Tambor played. (I can't remember the name though.)