Conan gets the Tonight Show!

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Did you all hear that Conan O'Brien is poised to take over the Tonight Show from Jay Leno in 2009? I love Conan, and I'm glad that NBC has such faith in him. I hope that his comedy doesn't have to change too much for the earlier and broader audience, but he's such a genuinely talented guy (IMHO) that I think he'll make it work.

What do the rest of you think?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I think The Tonight Show will fall into a dismal decline before Conan gets his big chance, because Leno stinks.

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
Conan O'Brien is one of the funniest guys in showbiz right now. I'm leary about him taking over The Tonight Show, because as AndyWan Kenobi mentioned, he will probably need to tone down his act. My local Oldies radio station asked its listeners this morning who they liked better, Leno or Conan. A bunch of old people called in saying Leno was way funnier. I was thinking, this is so unfair, like any of these people stay up late enough to watch Conan anyway. Not that it matters, many of them probably would not appreciate his wacky antics if they did watch him.

However, I must say that Conan is a professional. He is a terrific entertainer who seems to know how to read and react to audiences. If the Tonight Show audience is not responding to him, he will recognize that and do what needs to be done to become the undisputed king of late night (though in my mind, he already is). Until then, I will continue to be very groggy in the mornings :sleep: .

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I think Conan's alright, but he's a little... odd for my tastes. Sometimes I find him funny, but I'm a much bigger fan of Letterman. Can't get enough of him. If Letterman's still doing this in 5 years (which I hope) I'll be watching him. But I definitely preferred Conan over Craig Kilbourne.
Erin

McFraggle

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
I think The Tonight Show will fall into a dismal decline before Conan gets his big chance, because Leno stinks.
I agree, I've always preferred Letterman to Leno. Besides Dave though, Conan is a very close second. :big_grin:

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I've never really gotten into Letterman, but I'm a big fan of Conan. I started watching his show in its second season, my freshman year of college. I've been to it twice as well, which is great! If you're on the East Coast, go see him in New York before he has to move to LA!

Luke

Reaction score
I don't think it'll matter much - 5 years is a long time, i think TV will change a lot by then what with VOD and other developments. I don't see the deal going through as they planned it at all, they've probably just done this to keep Conan sweet to renew his deal with them and not go elsewhere.

Have to say i really don't think Conan has the right kind of style or personality to take over that show. Doing that time slot takes a special person - Letterman. I don't feel that Leno, Conan or any other person can ever come close to him at all. Dave should have always got the Tonight show, although it's probably better he has the control over his own show he has now.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I agree about Letterman having control over his show; that's why he's been able to pull out the stakes and fly with it!! It's the secret of his success, plus he's just so dang funny. Conan is funnier than Leno on all accounts, and I never understood why Jay got the Tonight Show to begin with. He's okay for a little while in the beginning of his reign over the show, but as the years went by, he became the same old schtick and just wasn't funny anymore. Leno just doesn't have what it takes. Conan does, though, because all it takes is for him to just stare blankly at the camera and he gains laughs! At first, Conan didn't make it at all funny, but as time went on he got funnier and funnier, and is now able to carry the show without Andy beside him.

What's a VOD, Luke? And, don't you think ALF could do better than any of them? :smile:

Luke

Reaction score
VOD is Video On Demand. I would anticipate most TV will just turn into large Electronic Program Guides that you can make your own channel out off with new release shows able to be added each day/week. If that happened TV schedulers would be less likely to create time orientated programming. I dunno, it's the future but it does seem to be moving along scarily fast now. Anyway if the aliens have invaded by that time then ALF might be a very popular choice of host!

Conan to me is too underground. He can be funny (although IMO he's a better writer than presenter) but he just isn't mainstream enough in my eyes. If i had to pick someone from the people around today it'd be the likes of Sharon Osbourne (in a blatent hard style, not the softly softly one she did for the chat show), Jim Carrey, Gary Shandling maybe.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
At first, Conan didn't make it at all funny, but as time went on he got funnier and funnier, and is now able to carry the show without Andy beside him.
Though he'd do much better if I were indeed beside him.

:stick_out_tongue: