Clip edits/alterations in the Playhouse compilation videos

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Anyway I know with Looney Tunes there's certain gags that were let's say a product of it's time and some violent gags that are forbidden on mainstream TV now a days. But I can't see why Nickelodeon at the time wanted to edit The Muppet Show, probably gags they didn't think were appropriate for their network or editing down time, who knows. I think there was notes on Muppet Wiki for particular episodes of certain gags that were cut out. I'm just thankful that most of the DVDs are uncut. Did you say there was some DVDs that had stuff edited out? I would think it was mostly the VHS combinations. And season 1 which had songs edited out due to not being able to get licence for certain songs.
It seems Nickelodeon didn't edit violent gags as often as other channels (and I think Cartoon Network was just as lenient about the violence), though there were some violent gags that were cut on the channel.

Nickelodeon edited Muppet Show episodes because of the UK spots. Most of the UK spots were included, but other segments had to be cut to make room for them. Only a handful of UK spots were cut, and while I don't know for sure, most of the UK spots that were cut have things I would expect Nick to find objectible. Like the Sherlock Holmes sketch (though Nickelodeon did air the Liza Minelli episode, which also involved a murder mystery) and Waiting at the Church (with Miss Piggy pretending to be knocked-up and pregnant). It's especially weird when a guest star segment got cut (which was rare on the channel). Rita Moreno's opening number got cut (probably too violent) and replaced with the closing number. Loretta Switt in Vets Hospital was cut, but I don't think there was anything objectible there (they could have cut the UK spot).

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Rita Moreno's opening number got cut (probably too violent) and replaced with the closing number. Loretta Switt in Vets Hospital was cut, but I don't think there was anything objectible there (they could have cut the UK spot).
I was going to say that Loretta Switt's Vets Hospital sketch probably got cut over the mention of Mash which was a TV show set in a war situation, then again didn't Mash reruns play on Nick at Nite? lol I read certain scenes had to be edited out like one of the Muppet mellow dramas. Perhaps more edits had to be made since The Muppet Show was also being aired on Nick's preschool line up Nick Jr. Still to this day I have no idea why.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I was going to say that Loretta Switt's Vets Hospital sketch probably got cut over the mention of Mash which was a TV show set in a war situation, then again didn't Mash reruns play on Nick at Nite?
I don't think something would be cut because it mentioned a TV show. Besides, M*A*S*H was also mentioned in the cold opening, and that wasn't cut. And I'm pretty sure Nick at Nite didn't air the show at the time (I don't think Nick at Nite ever aired M*A*S*H, though TV Land airs it now).

mupcollector said:
I read certain scenes had to be edited out like one of the Muppet mellow dramas.
The melodrama from the Gilda Radner episode was shown, while the entire Jean Stapleton episode wasn't broadcast on Nick (for some reason half the episodes weren't aired on Nick at all, and the selection of what episodes were and weren't shown was quite random).

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Really, the Jean Stapleton episode? Hmm, perhaps I discovered "I'm Just Wild About Harry" on Gonzo Presents Muppet Weird Stuff. Great episode, I love how Crazy Harry says "Hehehehehe It's a musical Numba!" :crazy:

Wow, I'm surprised to learn now that not all the episodes were shown on Nick. Well that probably explains when I watched the box sets and even reading the episode descriptions not recognizing certain backstage plots. I think I've seen the Kermit's Birthday episode online once and noticed I've never seen it before.

I can't wait for Disney to release seasons 4 and 5. I called them up last week requesting it.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
In Children's Songs and Stories, the intro and outro of "The King's Breakfast" (the parts where Twiggy is seen with Gonzo and Muppy) are cut out.