Chasing Robin

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Happy Independance Day, everybody. And if you're not in America, well, happy.... um... day. In honor of today (and my total boredom and anxiety to see your reactions,) I present to you my second story, entitled, "Chasing Robin".

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Prologue

What happens to villains after they are defeated? The stories never tell. We follow the heroes home in victory and cheer for their happily-ever-afters, while the villains are abandoned in the dust. But they don’t always die. So what happens to them? Where do they go? Is there a secret hide out somewhere that defeated villains retire to? Do they scrap their evilness all together? Or do they simply hide it, start over, letting the years pass by, rehashing their plans, waiting for the perfect time to strike again...

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I'm so intruiged! I wonder what villian(s) from the past are going to make an appearance! Anyway, you're off to a great start, I'm already hooked in. I love having things to entertain me when I'm at work (although I'm off today, but you know what I mean!)

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Would Have Been a Perfect Trip

Kermit strolled along the sidewalk, chatting with the guest star. He knew there was still a lot to be done at the theater before that night’s show, and he was glad to have some time to talk with her before everything got hectic.

“You know, Ms. Rowling, it’s really a shame that Robin won’t be here,” he said. “He was really looking forward to meeting you.”

“Oh, is he back at the swamp?” J. K. Rowling asked.

“No, actually, he’s with his Frog Scout troop. They’re camping up in Colorado for the week,” Kermit explained. “But we just love to read your books together...”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Meanwhile in the Colorado Rocky Mountains, the frog scouts were proudly wearing their uniforms, on the way to the campsite where they were going to pitch their tents.

“This way, scouts!” Miss Appleby said.

The young scouts grumbled amongst themselves. They had hiked several miles already, they were tired, their feet hurt, their gear was heavy, and they still had two miles ahead of them. And that was assuming they didn’t get lost for a third time under Miss Appleby’s navigation. Robin was in the lead, and he knew his troop needed a good morale lift.

“I can’t wait to get to the campsite,” he said. “We’re going to have so much fun this week! Right, guys?” He turned to look back at the frogs behind him.

Suddenly the ground fell from beneath them. They dropped several feet to the hard-packed dirt. Then everything went black.

Robin awoke to find himself on a concrete floor, surrounded by his fellow scouts and Miss Appleby, without their gear. They were locked in some sort of jail cell, inside a cold concrete building, with an open door just a few feet away on the opposite side of the cell bars. He looked carefully at the cell door, noticed something, and smiled. The key was still in the lock. He quickly woke up the rest of the troop. Then he reached through the bars, grabbed the key, and turned it, releasing the lock. He pushed the cell door open, and they all bolted for the outdoors.

“HEY!” a man shouted.

They heard heavy footsteps running behind them. The frogs ran as fast as they could, afraid to look back. The man chased them all through the woods at frightening speeds.

Robin tripped over a loose stone and fell to the ground as the frog scouts raced past him. He started to get up and noticed a gigantic butterfly net coming down on top of him. He hopped quickly out of the way, and the net fell on bare ground. The man lifted it and took aim on Robin’s new position. He hopped just out of the way, and the net fell, lifted, aimed...

The young frog dodged the net repeatedly, hopping to where ever he could to get out of the way. The man with the net chased him a long way through the forest before they broke into a clearing of tall grasses. Seeing the opportunity, Robin leapt with all of his might into the middle of the clearing and held perfectly still. Blend in, he thought. Blend in.

He heard the man’s footsteps trudging through the grass. He’s looking for me, Robin thought. Don’t find me, please, don’t find me.

The footsteps were coming closer, stopping, coming closer, and stopping again. There was a pair of boots right next to him now. Robin slowly looked up. The man was wearing black jeans and a blue button-down denim shirt. He held the net at his waist, looking straight out, examining the grass. Don’t see me, Robin thought. Don’t look down.

The man sighed. “Papa is definitely not going to like this,” he said, and he walked away.

When the footsteps had died away completely, Robin poked his head up from the grass. Now he had another problem. Where was he, and where was the rest of the troop?

Meanwhile, the other scouts had found their way back to the trail. Miss Appleby took a headcount. “Where’s Robin?” she asked.

The frogs looked around nervously.

“He must have gotten caught!” one of them said. “We have to go and save him!”

“No, David,” Miss Appleby said sternly. “It’s too dangerous. What we have to do is report this to the ranger station.” And she led them back up the trail.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Back at the theater, Kermit stood out in front of the curtain.

“Well folks, it’s time to bring this show to an end. But first, let’s give a warm thank you to our fantastic guest star, Ms. J. K. Rowling!”

Ms. Rowling stepped through the curtain to thunderous applause.

“You know Kermit, I had a great time here tonight,” she said. “It was really wonderful to meet all of you.”

Kermit looked surprised. “All of us? Even Crazy Harry?”

She laughed. “Even Crazy Harry. He adds a whole new meaning to having a blast,” she said.

“Did some one say ‘blast’?” Crazy Harry appeared behind them holding a stick of dynamite.

They laughed.

“We’ll see you next time on The Muppet Show!” Kermit shouted.

BOOM!

They laughed their way off the stage.

A while later, Kermit was talking to Scooter.

“The show was just great tonight, boss!” the go-fer said energectically.

“Yeah, it’s kind of surprising,” Kermit said. “No cancellations, no set or costume problems, no complaints from anybody...”

“Yeah, all we had was those three explosions.”

“Four. One more during the goodnight,” Kermit corrected him.

“Right. But not even big explosions.”

“Yeah. Something almost doesn’t feel right about it.”

They chuckled.

“Well, boss, I’m gonna head for home,” Scooter said.

Kermit nodded. “Right. Looks like just about everybody’s gone now. Props all put away?”

“Yup. We’re all set for next week.”

“Good. I’ll see you later, Scooter.”

“Okay. Have a good night, boss!” the go-fer waved as he walked away.

“You too, Scooter,” Kermit said. Then he sat down at his desk and sighed. The show had gone well. Now if only the paper work would do the same. He picked up his pencil and began to work, enjoying the silence. He was the only one in the theater now. Even Statler and Waldorf had left. There was complete and utter silence. The only sound was the scratching of Kermit’s pencil on his paper.

Ring ring.

Kermit dropped his pencil, startled.

Ring ring.

He picked up the telephone receiver. “Hello, Muppet Theater,” he said.

“Uh, yes, is this Mr. Kermit the Frog?” A man’s voice came across the wires.

“Yes.”

“Sir, this is Dan Jacobs, head ranger here at Rocky Mountain National Park. I understand your nephew, Robin Frog, was here with his frog scout troop?”

Kermit felt his muscles tense. Something was wrong. “That’s right,” he said.

“Sir, I’m afraid I have some bad news for you...”

Beauregard

Reaction score
Wow....<stunned silence>...wow.

Lisa, this is your best work yet! I cannot believe how hooked in this story I am! It's like...I could jsut sit and read page after page after page of it! Oh my word, it is beyond great, beyond brillient, I mean...wow...<stunned silence>

I promise I'll give you a detailed reveiw of your first chapter in the morning. it is beyond words! And totally makes anything I might have written seem so small in comparasion (not for long, *evila laughter*).

But seriously, that was....I saw every last thing. It was...wow.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Actually. I can't wait that long to re-read this. So, I'm gunna do this now.

TogetherAgain said:
Kermit strolled along the sidewalk, chatting with the guest star.
I don't know how you did this, but you did! I can see Kermit. i can see sidewalk, people, a wall. I see traffic and cars. And I see a guest star, we arn't sure who yet, but I can see it all as clear as day!

“You know, Ms. Rowling, it’s really a shame that Robin won’t be here,” he said. “He was really looking forward to meeting you.”
Cool. It's J.K.Rowling!

“Oh, is he back at the swamp?” J. K. Rowling asked.
A foreshadow, that sure sends shivers to anyone who's read the preveiw.

“This way, scouts!” Miss Appleby said.
Volla! Once again I see it all. Crystal clear skies, green grass, mountain ranges.

“I can’t wait to get to the campsite,” he said. “We’re going to have so much fun this week! Right, guys?” He turned to look back at the frogs behind him.
This is Robin, so Robin!

Suddenly the ground fell from beneath them.
I literally took a sudden intake of breath at this point! It was so unexpected! Robin turns his head for one second, then Voom! They are falling! Oh my!

“HEY!” a man shouted.
Run! Robin, run!

...the net fell, lifted, aimed...
This I love, because it's somthng I love to do, which adds dramatic emphasis! Using more than one action verb without a conjuntion!

Robin leapt with all of his might into the middle of the clearing and held perfectly still. Blend in, he thought. Blend in.
Excuse me, WHY am I holding my breath! No joke. I really was! It is Scarey!

He’s looking for me, Robin thought. Don’t find me, please, don’t find me.
Ditto! This is really scarey stuff. I cannot breath or he'll see me, or Robin, or someone!

The man sighed. “Papa is definitely not going to like this,” he said, and he walked away.
So, the good Doctor (assuming that is who this is, in which case it will clash with my bad guy, but not matter sicne mine is a diferent universe) has kids now does he.

“You too, Scooter,” Kermit said. Then he sat down at his desk and sighed. The show had gone well. Now if only the paper work would do the same. He picked up his pencil and began to work, enjoying the silence. He was the only one in the theater now. Even Statler and Waldorf had left. There was complete and utter silence.
My blood ran cold. This is such a scarey moment!

The only sound was the scratching of Kermit’s pencil on his paper.
And the fear is compounded by the scratching of pencil on paper.

Ring ring.

He picked up the telephone receiver. “Hello, Muppet Theater,” he said.
He has no idea...

“Sir, I’m afraid I have some bad news for you...”
*gulp*

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Noooooooooooooo!

If you guys keep posting new stories I'll keep on reading them. And what's wrong with that? I'll not be able to finish my own.
Woe to the posters, they'll never find out what happens down in the Goblin Lair. And they won't get to see the brilliant final number.

J/K, just post your stories guys... Will *try* to keep my own story going when I get the chance.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
WOW!!! This is awesome Lisa! I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for more! Oh, yeah, Revenge of Elmo... ummm... I'm getting there!:wink:

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
:excited:! You guys are too nice! Especially Beauregard. I read your posts, and immediately ran downstairs to have the following conversation...

Me: MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY GUESS WHAT?!?

Mom: What?

Me: Beauregard read my fanfic, like what I have posted already, and he said it was my BEST WORK EVER!!!!!!!!!!

Mom: I guess you can stop worrying about it then, huh?

Me: YUP!

And then as I went bounding back up to my room I heard this bit of conversation...

Dad: Who said it was her best work?

Mom: Beauregard.

Dad: Beau-re-gard...?

And then my mom started explaining, and I'm thinking, they are so lost! Oh, but this is so awesome! Really, I spent a lot of today worrying that this wasn't as good as Destination: Home and that everybody would be disappointed and really, I was REALLY worried! And then I was all in a bad mood for no particular reason, and then I came home and I read all that and I'm like YAY! Bouncing off the ceiling and the walls and the bed and the floor and the window and the desk and the computer <crash> oops but I'm still bouncing off of everything! I'm so hyper now! This is crazy! Wait no I'm crazy. Oh what the hey, it's all crazy! Woo hoo!

But THANK YOU so much I'm really just insanely thrilled that you all like it so much I'm just pumped now oh you know what? This is worth not seeing fire works for two years in a row. It really is. Oh, I love you guys so much! I'm going to go write some more. Wait I'm too hyper to write oh that's not cool! Not cool at all! Oh, man.... Oh who cares, I'm going to write anyway!

Hugs to you all I'll be back in a bit!!!!! WOO HOO!

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Know Your Enemy

Robin stumbled out onto the trail and looked around, trying to get his bearings. He noticed something to his left, and walked towards it. Sure enough, it was a hole in the trail. He inspected it as he approached. It was definitely man made. It was seven feet long and the exact width of the trail. On one side, there was what looked like a rope ladder hanging down into it. But before Robin could examine it, he heard two sets of footsteps approaching. Frightened, he hid beneath the leaf of a large plant on the side of the trail.

“Here’s where we caught ‘em,” a voice said. Robin peeked out from under the leaf. It was the same man he had seen before, but now there was someone else, too. An older man, leaning heavily on his cane, dressed all in white with a white hat.

“And they all got away?” he said.

“They all got away. They must have picked the lock or something,” the first man said. “I’m sorry, Papa...”

“Stop apologizing, Junior!” the old man bellowed. “You remember what I taught you about apologizing?”

“Yes, Papa,” Junior said. “Only fools and wimps apologize.”

“Are you a fool?”

“No, Papa.”

“Are you a wimp?”

“No, Papa.”

“Then don’t apologize.”

“Yes, Papa.”

“Good. Now, their gear is still in the trap?”

“Yeah.”

“Then let’s go get the truck and load it up.”

They started to walk away. Robin felt himself let out a sigh of relief at not being found. The he heard the old man’s voice, moving farther away, saying, “I bet that little one is still around. Keep your eyes open and we’ll catch him. See if he can do any tricks for us.”

“And if he can’t?” Junior asked.

“Then we’ll kill him,” the old man said.

Robin held back a scream. Kill him? What for? He waited until he was certain the men were gone. Then he crept out to the edge of the trap hole. He grabbed hold of the rope ladder and carefully lowered himself down into the hole. He didn’t know how long it would take for the men to get the truck, but he knew he had to act quickly. He found his pack of gear, opened it up, and took out the tent he had been assigned to carry. Then he found Miss Appleby’s pack, opened it, and began to rummage through it until he found the supply of food he had been looking for. He put the food in his pack, the tent in hers, and closed them both. Then he swung his pack onto his back and pulled himself up the rope ladder.

“Hopefully they won’t notice a missing pack,” he said. Then he looked around. “If I take the trail, I’ll know where I am, and maybe I can find the troop. But on the other hand, if I take the trail, those men will know where I am, too.” As he weighed his choices in his mind, he heard the rumbling of an approaching truck. He quickly hopped to the side of the trail and ducked down behind a log. He was about to make a run for it, but he stopped himself.

Know your enemy, he thought. So he peeked over the log to get a good look.

The truck had stopped just behind the trap. Junior was down in the hole, grabbing the packs and throwing them up on the ground, while his father leaned on his cane and watched. Robin looked past them and read the words printed on the side of the black pick-up truck. He fell back behind the log, holding back a scream. Don’t panic, he thought to himself, don’t panic. What ever you do, do not panic. He carefully reached into his pack and pulled out his map and compass. There’s only one thing to do, he thought. He glanced over his shoulder to make sure the men weren’t looking, examined the map, checked his compass, and quietly slipped away through the woods.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Kermit hung up the phone, shaking. The ranger’s words circled through his mind. An accident... trap... locked up... Robin missing... dangerous...

He looked blankly at the papers on his desk and pushed them aside to reveal a single blue piece of paper taped to the top of the desk. It was the phone tree used to alert the entire cast of any important news.

He picked up the phone and dialed quickly.

“Hello, Scooter? It’s Kermit... Get everyone to the boarding house... now... it’s urgent... No, I’m still at the theater... right... see you there.” He hung up, checked the phone tree again, and raced out the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

The forest ended abruptly and Robin found himself on the side of a road. He followed the road for about half a mile into a small town.

This is great, he thought. Look at all these shops and restaurants. There’s gotta be somebody here who will let me use a phone. Maybe in there. He headed for a shop called “Odds and Ends,” but he froze when he saw the parking lot.

A black pick up truck, with the frog scout packs in the back, writing on the side, Junior getting out of the driver side, and the old man opening the passenger door. Junior looked up and saw the young frog. “THERE!” he shouted, leaping back into the truck and driving towards him.

Robin turned and ran as fast as he could. He dodged around a corner, ducked behind a green trashcan, and leaned back on it. He watched as the truck drove right past him. He smiled a little as he gasped for air. When he finally caught his breath, he looked around and saw that he was in front of a small diner. Maybe someone there can help, he thought.

It was a slow night at the Eat-Your-Fill Grill. A woman sat behind the counter, reading, with no customers to serve. She heard the door open and looked up from her book. A young, tired-looking frog walked in with a pack full of camping supplies on his back. She smiled at him and stood up. “Can I help you?” she said.

Robin hopped onto a stool at the counter. “Um...” he said hesitantly. Yes, she could help him. But he was afraid, and alone, and he didn’t really know what he needed. “Could I maybe use your phone, please?”

“Of course,” the woman said, pushing the white desk phone over to him.

“Thank you,” he said. He picked up the receiver, and paused, not quite sure what to do. Then he dialed the first number he thought of.