Big Bird in China

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Method Muppet Man

I believe it was in the book, but it might have just been a personal anectode Spinney shared. It's been so long. But it goes like this:
:stick_out_tongue: :frown:
Caroll was filling in for Frank in a rehearsal, working Bert to Jim's Ernie. On a break Jim went to check the script and gave the Ernie puppet a light kick or a nudge. This resulted in Caroll apologizing to Ernie, saying something like, "He didn't mean it," which Jim found strange.

Jim Henson saw the puppets as props, instruments to tell a story, not people. It's not like Henson had a habit of kicking Muppets, but the fella was in his way when working late. He didn't sit around and talk to Ernie or Kermit unless in an interview situation. Spinney has a different take on the use of puppets and engages with them in his own way. Jim remarked about this to him apparently.

I find that little tidbit interesting. Spinney's special take on his characters shines through his work. Jim's work shines too, but many people mistake his perspective and personality when dealing with his take on puppetry and his characters.
:smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Actually, I beleive that the book states that Caroll Spinney performed Ernie's right hand in that sketch, not Bert.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
I remember watching both China and Japan on the Disney Channel, but only remember a clip or two from each of them. Are they available on DVD?

Dantecat

Reaction score
Yes They sure are.They have been released on DVD since Tuesday February 10,2004.:wink: :wisdom:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Oh man! I remember this special. I haven't seen it in literally years!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I remember watching both of those specials back in the day and now have them both on DVD (Big Bird in China was actually $4.99 at my Barnes and Noble!). I'm amazed at how much they move me now, there's so much emotion, with Big Bird either losing faith in the quest or becoming home sick.

Also I love the way he's so annoying and sarcastic about the supposedly ridiculous clues, lol.

Good Monster

Reaction score
I've read Wisdom several times yet don't seem to remember any anectode about subbing for a Bert/Ernie sketch, maybe this was a story he mentioned at the book signing but not the book iteself? Can you give more detail?
I believe it was in the book, but it might have just been a personal anectode Spinney shared. It's been so long. But it goes like this:
:stick_out_tongue: :frown:
Caroll was filling in for Frank in a rehearsal, working Bert to Jim's Ernie. On a break Jim went to check the script and gave the Ernie puppet a light kick or a nudge. This resulted in Caroll apologizing to Ernie, saying something like, "He didn't mean it," which Jim found strange.

Jim Henson saw the puppets as props, instruments to tell a story, not people. It's not like Henson had a habit of kicking Muppets, but the fella was in his way when working late. He didn't sit around and talk to Ernie or Kermit unless in an interview situation. Spinney has a different take on the use of puppets and engages with them in his own way. Jim remarked about this to him apparently.

I find that little tidbit interesting. Spinney's special take on his characters shines through his work. Jim's work shines too, but many people mistake his perspective and personality when dealing with his take on puppetry and his characters.
:smile:

Yes, you are right, that is in the book because I remember a bit about how Jim asked Carol if he talks to his puppets! I also liked how Carol was upset by Jim taking the old Oscar appart.

I think I remember reading something about how Big Bird has always opened each episode. But the past year (or two?), I've noticed that he hasn't been doing that anymore...or at all? Anyone know why they changed this? Is he retiring, or am I just confused? (Well, I am confused...very confused, LOL...but that's beside the point)

Thanks,
Debbie

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
IIs he retiring, or am I just confused? (Well, I am confused...very confused, LOL...but that's beside the point)
Why no. Caroll actually just singed a brand new three year contract with Sesame Workshop and has no plans of retiring any time in the neat future.