Bert's Personality Change

Don_Music_2004

Reaction score
Ever notice Bert seems happier now than he did back in 1969 and the early 70's, he used to always have a frown on his face and he acted more like Oscar years ago. And he didn't show his fondness for Oatmeal Paper clips, bottlecaps and Pigeons. Anyone else know why the writers did this? :grouchy: :frown: :grouchy: :frown:

jasontarkus

Reaction score
Don't know why - perhaps he is now the more politically correct Bert.

I think I prefered the old grumpy Bert!

Splurge

Reaction score
Don_Music_2004 said:
Ever notice Bert seems happier now than he did back in 1969 and the early 70's, he used to always have a frown on his face and he acted more like Oscar years ago. And he didn't show his fondness for Oatmeal Paper clips, bottlecaps and Pigeons. Anyone else know why the writers did this? :grouchy: :frown: :grouchy: :frown:
I don't know if this is the correct answer to your question. But I remember in an interview ("Henson's Place"), Jim said that in the beginning that Frank Oz didn't like Bert very beginning because he thought he was too dull. But then he found a way to make this dullness into this incredible personality. He did have a love for boring things early on, though, like his favorite TV show "The Wonderful World of Pigeons".

Also, I noticed that in 1969, he didn't even have his trademark laugh, but he did laugh with a "heh heh". That is, if he did have that laugh in the 1969 skits, I haven't seen those skits.

Censored

Reaction score
Splurge said:
I don't know if this is the correct answer to your question. But I remember in an interview ("Henson's Place"), Jim said that in the beginning that Frank Oz didn't like Bert very beginning because he thought he was too dull. But then he found a way to make this dullness into this incredible personality. He did have a love for boring things early on, though, like his favorite TV show "The Wonderful World of Pigeons".

Also, I noticed that in 1969, he didn't even have his trademark laugh, but he did laugh with a "heh heh". That is, if he did have that laugh in the 1969 skits, I haven't seen those skits.

I don't think the very early skits of Season 1 had Bert liking pigeons, oatmeal, paperclips, or anything like that. He was simply the straight man who got annoyed with Ernie. Then they seemed to give more depth to his personality while still keeping him as a funny straight man. Indeed, in my opinion, most of the humor in the Ernie and Bert skits comes from Bert's reactions. Like other muppets, Bert's physical appearance has altered a bit throughout the years too. I am a big fan of Bert and I like his character in every stage of evolution except maybe the current one.

WiGgY

Reaction score
What's wrong with the current one? Seems the same to me.

I think an old boring Bert wouldn't have lasted. Everyone has something they like. If Bert didn't like anything he wouldn't have lasted. I like Bert the way I remember him. That paper clip, piegon lovin', W club member, oatmeal eatin' freak that he is. He's still boring andl likes boring things, but he seems real now.

drmusic_99

Reaction score
The original Bert muppet always had an angry expression because his unibrow didn't move. (He also appeared fatter, because he had no neck.) The second generation Bert had much more expression, and that certainly added to his emerging personality.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Ernie is the opposite of Bert in all aspects! Ernie is the happy, boistrous, obnoxious, outgoing, fun funny guy; Bert is quiet, depressed, invtroverted...that's the deal there.

Censored

Reaction score
Funny, I never thought of Bert as being boring. His character certainly started to like boring things, but I never felt bored by him on the show. His appearance and reactions were hilarious.