Before Gonzo was Great

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Oh, I loved these! My favorites were the first one, mostly because of the alien culture and the fact that you decided to go with that explination, and the last two eps. In "Carwash Blues," I feel like Gonzo started to act more Gonzo-ish. Up 'til then it seemed too serious and grim, but when Gonzo went through the carwash I knew everything would be alright. That's what was missing before, his sense of the weird, insane, and sometimes dangerous. Oh yes, and then there's that part about the rats paying rent. Something else that made me feel the muppety warmth beginning to creep into it. As for the last part, love the jam session and candid audition, and of course the scene with the chickens was terrific!
:concern:
:big_grin:

But Pairaducks Lost? Time In a Battle? Pray tell, where can I find these masterpieces?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Heh Kate, just click on Kim's siggy and then click on the link marked "Etchings". All her DWD fics are there.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Yeah, the series is pretty serious until Gonzo gets back on his feet. I was trying to give him a backstory, explain some of his personality elements - his lack of knowledge of his own origins, his need to have close friends and a romantic interest at all times, his lack of fear of the consequences of his stunts (After all he's been through, temporary physical pain is nothing!), his, heh heh, fondness for chickens, and so on. I think a little bit of my personality slipped in there as well; when I'm angry or depressed I completely lose my sense of humor. When he was just trying to survive, the funniest he could get was goofing around with song lyrics.

Let me tell you, it was a relief to finally write the last two chapters. I was feeling guilty for all that weirdo abuse.

Puckrox

Reaction score
Wah! Great fic! And now I understand your other story, "Masks", a million times better. I sort of like seeing Gonzo with a serious past. He's such a silly, quirky character nowadays, so thinking about him coming from a bad upbringing adds a lot of depth to him.

Next on my reading list: Muppets from Earth!

newsmanfan

Reaction score
----------------------
Very nice exploration of backstory! I always kind of imagined Gonzo arriving like the son of Jor-El in a big crashlanding egg, but this works fine! :concern: I enjoyed the idea of a foster-monster system, and of poor Gonzo not fitting in even among the other oddities. Poor guy. And I'm impressed you know what a "busker" is; thought that term had gone out of usage decades ago!

The audition scene was lovely, and FELT quite true. And bloopers! I'd never even considered putting bloopers after a fic...but for this, it works, and they're hilarious! Well done!
------------------------

fictionalnice

Reaction score
O MY GOD!!! I love your story! it's wondeful! I love Gonzo! and very nice! You remembered in one of their specials he says "its nicer than that cement mixer I used to live in." (Or something like that.) Great use of consistency! Luv it!