Autism

VonCount

Reaction score
My nephew wasn't talking and paid no attention whatsoever to anyone but his mother. No repetitive motions, lining up objects, or any of the other classic symptoms of autism; he simply acted like an overgrown infant to whom nobody but Mommy was worth noticing. It was a pretty obvious that the person who examined him didn't know much about autism.

Interestingly, as a kid I exhibited a lot of those classic symptoms. Spinning, sorting and lining things up (I had a seashell collection that would keep me occupied for hours), and only as an adult have I trained myself to look at people's faces when I talk with them. However, I was also talking and reading at age 2. I guess the moral of the story (in both cases) is that you gotta look at the big picture.

I'm glad your son is getting early treatment! I hope it helps him mitigate or overcome his issues, the way it did for my nephew.
Thanks @Slackbot ! It's interesting that you mention training yourself to look at faces. In horrible at remembering people but I have an excellent memory, my theory is because I never look people in the face that I'm not talking to. My husband can say, oh that girl in the Disneyland parade also played Tinkerbell last time we were here... And he has a horrible memory. I also love to sort things so I wonder if my son gets any of the behaviors from me. It will be interesting to see if he outgrows his diagnosis like the geneticist suspected, he said that my son may have had speech delay and other behaviors as a reaction to my being pregnant. In any case he doing very well at speech therapy and either way I know he's going to be a great individual!

crackmaster

Reaction score
I have Asperger's and ADHD, and I wish I was more normal than I am now. I mean, I'm not as bad as I was in 2017, but that didn't stop Encyclopedia Dramatica from rewriting a neutral article on me into a negative one in 2018 and then FRAMING ME when I started writing myself into articles thinking I was doomed to be a "lolcow" saying that I wrote the negative stuff. It was mostly to do with a stupid move I made where I lied about having a roommate to ban evade somewhere else and then saying that the roommate died and their cousin took over. They thought I lied about somebody way different's death to ban evade when I didn't. Combine that with my weird-*** behavior the year before and you've got trouble. I learned to never use ED or Kiwi Farms a while after I found out I'd been framed. I normally don't talk about this because it gets very long and confusing, but since you guys are okay people I decided to open up with you.

I compare myself to Chris-chan (who I wish was normal.) I function way better than that guy. But then again, my parents knew how to handle an autistic person because my brother who is nonverbal and severely autistic was born before me. 2016-2018 was just me wondering how the world works. And I'm glad I'm not like that anymore.