Arthur: The Classics

Hubert

Reaction score
Maybe I got into too deep of thinking last night, but something doesn't quite make sense to me...

In "Arthur's Almost Boring Day", Arthur and D.W. are sent to Grandma Thora's house, where she shows them some of the things their dad had from his childhood, including a pair of bell-bottom pants, which he appeared to wear when he was Arthur's age. Now, I believe it was the 1970s that bell bottoms were "all the rage", so considering he was possibly Arthur's age during that time, that would mean that present-day (1996 or 1997, whenever that episode came out), he would have only been in his twenties, which doesn't seem to make sense, because it seems like Arthur and D.W.'s parents are supposed to be at least middle-aged or so.
One episode of the show reveals that he and Jane both graduated around 1978 through a CD with that year on it that they say was what was popular when they were in high school. The thing of it is, we really don't know what year the series is supposed to take place, as it has spanned over some sixteen years that take place in the same year. So technically they could be older if the series really takes place after 1996.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
One episode of the show reveals that he and Jane both graduated around 1978 through a CD with that year on it that they say was what was popular when they were in high school. The thing of it is, we really don't know what year the series is supposed to take place, as it has spanned over some sixteen years that take place in the same year. So technically they could be older if the series really takes place after 1996.
Lol, that's another thing too... because the show's been on for so long, it's funny to see the difference in technology and such from different eras of the show... like from Season One, when Ratburn tries to explain the phonograph, "Record players? Before CD players were invented?", though I'm sure that they probably have MP3 players more recently. Or, when the rumor of Arthur was the world's greatest gleeper, Muffy accused him of gleeping her "cellular phone", which it turns out she had all along, and how big and bulky it was (and who actually says "cellular"?)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah. That's the Simpsons paradox for you. Arthur has it.

But you didn't mention the worst thing. The Woogles. The episode where they first appeared, they just came out, Arthur was in third grade and they were in. Fast Forward to the Great Sock Mystery (or whatever it's called), and Mr. Toad says "That fad went out with the 90's," yet time froze still for Arthur this whole time. There's a slim bit of doubt that Woogles came out fall of 1999 and that later episode takes place Spring of 2000... but still....

Personally, if they're going to completely change the format of the show with the next season, at least have them finally move on to fourth grade. Show that SOME time passed in 16 years.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah. That's the Simpsons paradox for you. Arthur has it.

But you didn't mention the worst thing. The Woogles. The episode where they first appeared, they just came out, Arthur was in third grade and they were in. Fast Forward to the Great Sock Mystery (or whatever it's called), and Mr. Toad says "That fad went out with the 90's," yet time froze still for Arthur this whole time. There's a slim bit of doubt that Woogles came out fall of 1999 and that later episode takes place Spring of 2000... but still....
Cra-yap, I forgot that! In a sense though, that could very well be the case, because remember, all it took was for Arthur to start clicking that bottle cap, and the next thing you knew, suddenly nobody cared about Woogles... and that was only a matter of what, a couple of days?
Personally, if they're going to completely change the format of the show with the next season, at least have them finally move on to fourth grade. Show that SOME time passed in 16 years.
Unfortunately, I don't believe that's ever going to happen. On that same token, D.W. should also start kindergarten, which HAS been mentioned on the show before: she had her birthday, she was turning five, Emily overly exaggerated the drama of "no longer being a little kid ever again" (even though when Emily made her comeback a few seasons later, she's apparently back in D.W.'s preschool)... not to mention, that would also create some awkward tension if Arthur and D.W. should happen to pass each other in the hallways at Lakewood Elementary... I'm sure D.W. would constantly go out of her way to embarrass him in front of his friends.

Hubert

Reaction score
Lol, that's another thing too... because the show's been on for so long, it's funny to see the difference in technology and such from different eras of the show... like from Season One, when Ratburn tries to explain the phonograph, "Record players? Before CD players were invented?", though I'm sure that they probably have MP3 players more recently. Or, when the rumor of Arthur was the world's greatest gleeper, Muffy accused him of gleeping her "cellular phone", which it turns out she had all along, and how big and bulky it was (and who actually says "cellular"?)
Yeah...I always do find that interesting. They went from big, bulky desktop computers in season one to small, fancy laptops nowadays...all the technology seems to be advancing in that same year.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And I'm sure that's one reason why we rarely see any of the good classic episodes anymore.

Hubert

Reaction score
And I'm sure that's one reason why we rarely see any of the good classic episodes anymore.
Eh...I doubt that the deciders are searching through episodes to look for outdated technology to not show...I think that it is just more that they want to show off the newer stuff they did, as it is more aimed toward now's children over the children of the late 90s.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't believe that's ever going to happen. On that same token, D.W. should also start kindergarten, which HAS been mentioned on the show before: she had her birthday, she was turning five, Emily overly exaggerated the drama of "no longer being a little kid ever again" (even though when Emily made her comeback a few seasons later, she's apparently back in D.W.'s preschool)... not to mention, that would also create some awkward tension if Arthur and D.W. should happen to pass each other in the hallways at Lakewood Elementary... I'm sure D.W. would constantly go out of her way to embarrass him in front of his friends.
If there's one thing I think Family Guy did better than the Simpsons is that it actually aged the characters and showed Chris getting promoted to High School. How many summer vacations can Bart and Arthur have before going back to the same class? I mean, even make it so Ratburn is promoted to the fourth grade teacher if that's what it takes. Of course... it's not as bad as Sesame Street. Big Bird has been 6 for 43 years, and everyone around him grew up. :eek:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I mean, even make it so Ratburn is promoted to the fourth grade teacher if that's what it takes.
Lol, again, it's funny to consider that whenever these fanfic authors put the characters in middle school, or even high school, they ALWAYS make Mr. Ratburn a teacher of theirs, and usually, the explanation is always the same: he proved himself to be an efficient and tough-enough teacher that he was promoted to whatever grade the kids now happen to be in. Every time. XD Not really original since multiple fanfic authors use it, but really, it's just about the only logical explanation there is. Like from Recess, Principal Prickley was always wanting to be promoted, so imagine T.J. and the gang having Prickley again as a principal when they're in high school.

Drtooth

Reaction score
There's a blog on tumblr called "out of context Arthur," and there's a picture he edited with Jenna having a cat nose instead of a human one. The character looks far less ugly and more in the style of the series without it. But I can't find it outside of that blog, otherwise I'd show you.

I'm just glad I'm not the only one bothered by her freaky human nose. it works on Binky, not so much her.