Are Kermit and Piggy married?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I dunno, Kermit seemed fine with it at the end of the movie. :wink:

And if it was annulled, I honestly don't think Piggy would have stuck around. She'd make Kermit pay. I would! :mad:

Redsonga

Reaction score
My thoughts on the marriage of Kermit and Miss Piggy are that even if the world of the movie and the world of the Muppets coincided to legitimize the ceremony it was entered in haste and likely would have been annulled.

I feel that the decades since MTM have been spent with Kermit and Piggy trying to sort things out before officially making the big plunge. Otherwise they might have actually been married in a secret off-screen ceremony…but do you really think Miss Piggy would keep that a secret?

So IMHO the frog and the pig are not married. (And is a frog-pig marriage even legal in this country yet?) :wink:
It doesn't have to be legal, it just is, like peanut butter and jelly forever on a sandwich *lol*:excited:

Ruahnna

Reaction score
I actually posted a response to the married question from Karen Falk at the JHC Archives that stated they side with the Frog: Kermit and Piggy are not married. Kermit has also been quite direct in his responses since that film that they are not married.
(I used lots of capitals because I'm excited--not because I'm shouting!)

I have to say this because it has to be said. Jim's Kermit GOT MARRIED. Kermit and Piggy tied the knot, and in a grand fashion. They did bridal magazines and everything. It was touted by Hollywood and all as "The Wedding of the Year" and subsequent appearances by Kermit and Piggy--notably the 30-year anniversary show--are QUITE clear that they were married. You cannot go by what Kermit says today--because--THINK WITH ME--HE's NOT the same frog, is he? When Steve took over the role of Kermit, then there was sudden uncertainty about whether or not the marriage was a real thing. This may have been a performer decision--you know, somebody asks you something and off the top of your head you answer and it gets recorded and quoted, et cetera, et eceta. It may have been a top-down decision. Remember--this is Disney, and despite DIRECT QUTOES from Walt Disney himself stating the Mickey and Minnie are quiety (and happily) married, the two mice continue to act, um, singly in public.

In the entertainment world, the people that "own" a group of characters don't usually have any trouble reinventing history for them. It's happened to Batman, to the Xmen, even to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice and it's about to happen to Star Trek (and how loathesome and horrible THAT's going to be). So I am not AT ALL impressed with what any particular performer says NOW because the only person who could change my mind about it has gone on to that great puppet theater in the sky. And if he DID come back, he'd agree with me.

I was actively anticipating and participating in the fandom when they got married. It wasn't just the movie--it was part of the entire YEAR of getting ready for the wedding--the interviews eagerly snatched up, the anticipation of her dress, wondering how the wedding would impact the movie and their future happiness. And subsequent interviews with Jim made it clear that the wedding had happened and the marriage was intact.

What changed, really, was the world's idea that marriage was something to be scoffed at, scorned and ridiculed. Kermit was repositioned as some sort of "playa." Yuck. Ick. Disgusting.

For a long time, Kermit was just Miss Piggy's dorky boyfriend--the not-quite-cool but likable guy who just happened to be dating the hottest supermodel around. Hallmarks had Kermit products, to be sure, but Miss Piggy was EVERYWHERE on EVERYTHING and I STILL HAVE MOST OF IT!

It became "cool" to disdain true love and fidelity. At some point, a one-woman man (or a one-pig frog) became something to be pitied, not admired. What a shame that is. Frankly, Kermit's a lot less likeable than he used to be JUST BECAUSE of THAT. I cannot respect and will not like a man who says one thing when he's alone with a woman and another to the public about her. What a repellant role model that makes.

If whoever is driving this flying umbrella has any sense--and I still have hope of sense emerging--then they will stop doing what DIDN't work and stick with what DID. What worked for TMS, TMM, TCMC and TMTM was Kermit and Piggy driving each other crazy because they were crazy about each other. It was only funny to see Kermit flirt with female guest stars because you know he only did it to tweak Piggy's ego. It was WONDERFUL to see Kermit lose his cool because Piggy (like the rest of us) was going ga-ga over Christopher Reeve or some other hunky star, but only because you knew he'd woo her back over before long.

No matter what is said now, or may be said in the future, I'm not letting anyone rewrite history for me.

Wiseman

Reaction score
Kermit &Piggy hmm

It could work. In the real world a frog and a pig would be sexually incompatible. However in the Muppet world things are quite different. In MCC the girl children were pigs and the boy children were frogs, but as we all know when two different animals interbreed the offspring take on the characteristics of both, which means that we have to somehow combine the looks of a pig with the looks of a frog. Now, let's see, we could call it a frig. Now as for what it might look like. The tadpole to frog metamorphosis thing has always fascinated me so, let's keep it intact.
Here's the scenario. Miss Piggy and Kermit have ahem coital contact (this is a PG rated site after all), and nine months later, the pigs in Veterinarian's Hospital this time as a patient instead of a nurse. During the pain associated with birth Piggy karate chops her Frog a few times, then finally out pops a rather large tadpole like creature with a snout for a nose. Upon examination Rowlf determines that the offspring must immediately be put in water in order to survive for its first stage in life. Nurse Janice gets a rather large fishtank and places the creature in it. The two parents go home with their child, but due to it's immaturity aren't able to determine it's gender as of yet. However, at the hospital Nurse Janice took a tissue sample from the offspring and is busily anayzing it so that the couple can determine gender and assign a name to it before it takes on an adult life. About a week later. Nurse Janice calls the couple and announces that its a boy (sorry, ladies, but it's a guy writing this story and I want to see the male line for their first child). Upon hearing this the two decide to call him Kermit Jr., no Pigmit, no that wouldn't work, let's compromise, we'll call him Bruce. Bruce spends about 10 years of his life as a tadpole in the water eating little water dwelling creatures, occasionally he buries himself in the mud at the bottom in a piglike fashion, then finally he begins to mature (I know that some of the married women reading this thing are going to say that men don't mature, but for the moment let's just look at physical maturity, as for that whole mental/emotional thing you can assign a personality to it on your own). At this point his tail shortens and begins to curl somewhat. His snout grows larger and as his lungs develop inside it begins to take on a real function. The creature now lives in water but breathes air. Eventually, the front and back legs begin to grow. The front legs take on a mammalian appearance complete with a pig's toes. The back legs on the other hand are longer and more froglike enabling the young frig to leap out of the water in his final stage in the change and take its first steps on land. From here on out. I'm going to leave it up to the rest of you to speculate on his sexual orientation as to whether he is attracted to males or females and as to whether he is attracted to pigs or frogs. In the meantime, Piggy and Kermit also give birth to a girl who they call Sandra, she goes through a similar metamorphosis and you can also speculate about the same thing for her.
Now if anyone who is an expert in computer graphics can draw what I have described, I'd love to see it.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
MWoO said:
If you look at other "on and off again" relationships in tv you pretty much always see that once the characters finally get together the story fizzles and fades. Thats why they get together near the end of the series or they get together only to fall apart. You need that conflict to keep things interesting.
Uh ...

Redsonga said:
But there is still plenty of conflict after people get married...I always link the fizzle and fading not to the characters but to the writers being lazy...
What she said. If marriage truly killed plot, then there wouldn't be the married characters we have to start with (overall favorites: Addams and Munsters :big_grin:).

Redsonga said:
But I link the lack of interest to lazy writers not wanting to work with the characters as growing changing people and putting too much focus on a long drawn out romance (which are good, I love them...)
They wanted the ratings with the wedding, but they didn't plan ahead. It's similar to the problems with real marriages: everyone wants the ceremony, nobody wants the day after.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
We write what we know, right?

Redsonga made an excellent point--the problem isn't marriage or no marriage, but lack of skill on the part of the writers portraying marriage as interesting. Cause everybody knows that those old I Love Lucy shows weren't funny--not at all. And ALL in the Family--they NEVER got any humor out of marriage, nosiree. And what about Blondie? Life was just a bore a minute with those two.

Oh well, nuff said for now!

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
In a way, I sort of agree with Ruhanna's post. Upon seeing TMTM, I have believed that :smile: and :mad: were married. It wasn't until Kermit co-hosted the 'Roseanne' show one time that he said that they weren't married and I believed what Kermit said there. (Hey, the frog don't lie.) On the other hand, I have my doubts. Deep down he's still the same frog no matter who's performing him. (Also Kermit didn't try to weasel out of the wedding in the movie like he did on 'The Muppet Show,' so there's a sign that one could have been real.) I'm guessing it can go either way.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Redsonga made an excellent point--the problem isn't marriage or no marriage, but lack of skill on the part of the writers portraying marriage as interesting. Cause everybody knows that those old I Love Lucy shows weren't funny--not at all. And ALL in the Family--they NEVER got any humor out of marriage, nosiree. And what about Blondie? Life was just a bore a minute with those two.

Oh well, nuff said for now!
Or The Jeffersons :coy:.

I agree, I think it was real..I only wish I had been around to see all the things about the wedding back then :smile:

Wiseman

Reaction score
Working on new fan fic

After reading and posting in this thread I have decided to create a new fanfic involving Kermit & Piggy as a married couple with a baby frig. I am entitling the first ep "The Birth of a Frig" look for it in the fanfic section of the forum very soon. All of the classic muppet characters even some obscure ones will be involved. I might also bring in some characters from the Fantasy worlds (DC, Lab & MM). I have already decided to put Marvin Suggs of the Muppaphone in the hospital when Piggy gives birth working as an anasthesiologist (spchk).:smile::mad:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
ROFL ... I can totally see Suggs as the anesth ... the knock-out guy.