Anyone worried about the next generation?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm just going to add this statistic...

WUH-BAM!!!!

Record Low Teen Birth Rate! YEAYUH! Proof this thread is full of crap.

mo

Reaction score
the world is full of crap!

newsmanfan

Reaction score
------------
Er...the fact that there still exists such a thing as the "teen birth rate" proves the world is still very, very messed up, guys...

------------

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Record Low Teen Birth Rate! YEAYUH! Proof this thread is full of crap.

"Experts suggested that the numbers may mean more teens are delaying sex or using contraception, representing gains for both abstinence-only and contraceptive education programs."
I hope they're right, that would be great. I just wonder how many cases were simply that the baby wasn't born, if you follow me. Don't want to get into a huge debate, just saying.

muppet maniac

Reaction score
I woke up to a few children's shows yesterday, and I realized, that, while Muppets are clearly not real, cartoons can teach kids irrelivant things. Do you think that this will effect their life?
I'm not going to say anything, but listen to what Penn says at the beginning of this clip:

Drtooth

Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to realize that fearing the next generation is some sort of some backwards reprogramming that keeps us afraid of change. Sure, there's a lot of things we should be worried about... but look at it this way.

Young people can be innovators that question belief structures that make no sense. If no one from the next generation questioned things, we'd probably still be owning slaves, let alone segregating. Good DOES come from next generations, IF they can shake off dangerous beliefs that serve no purpose. Even in Middle Eastern countries, the younger generation is rejecting old teachings that suppress them rather than enlighten them, wanting change in leadership.

It's the young people who change the world for the better, you see. The trouble makers never get anywhere because they are troublemakers. Simple as that.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It's the young people who change the world for the better, you see.
I think there are times when it's useful to be young and other times when it's useful to be older. Teenagers are always associated with rebellion but in fact teenagers are often some of the biggest conformists around (no offense to the teenagers here, just in general, lol). It's a very insecure time and they are desperate to fit it. Sure teenagers begin to defy their parents but that's pretty much a built in part of growing up and again, not that defiant in the grand scheme. As you get older, the idea is that your priorities start to change and you realize just how foolish your worries about popularity were and you become wiser that way.

But there are down sides to getting older too. I do think there comes a point where you naturally get set in your ways and it's very difficult to make significant changes in your beliefs and thinking. In that way younger people can come in handy.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think there are times when it's useful to be young and other times when it's useful to be older. Teenagers are always associated with rebellion but in fact teenagers are often some of the biggest conformists around (no offense to the teenagers here, just in general, lol). It's a very insecure time and they are desperate to fit it. Sure teenagers begin to defy their parents but that's pretty much a built in part of growing up and again, not that defiant in the grand scheme. As you get older, the idea is that your priorities start to change and you realize just how foolish your worries about popularity were and you become wiser that way.

But there are down sides to getting older too. I do think there comes a point where you naturally get set in your ways and it's very difficult to make significant changes in your beliefs and thinking. In that way younger people can come in handy.
When you get older, you tend to also become complacent. There are older people who still want to see things change and welcome the idea of things getting better... but then there's that portion that becomes selfish, nasty, and despises anything that makes them feel old (the younger generation, any swing in socio-political movements), causing them to be curmudgeons that want everyone younger than them to die in wars they wouldn't have fought in themselves.

There are 2 political movements in this country... one is furious about the fiscal inequality that leads them to pay more taxes than the corporations that refuse to hire them and buy up all the government influence to keep them from paying taxes and not hiring anybody... the other is a bunch of people afraid of stuff that isn't happening, and angry that the government would, for a change, help its own people. People who are on every single government assistance there is who want to refuse any of that for the next generation (Social Security specifically).

One's not exclusively composed of, but mostly young people, the other is not exclusively composed of, but mostly old people. One's completely angry for the right reasons, the other's angry for completely selfish reasons that actually hurt them and help the very same major corporations that OWN the movement.

The thing is, the youngsters aren't completely disillusioned, bitter, and complacent yet. I'm sure they're going to get Stockholm syndrome and love the brain slugs eating their life sources in due time... but right now, the young have the illusion they can change things, while the old people can change things because they're literally TOLD what the big corporate interests want them to believe. And the worst part is, THAT movement started as wanting change from a party that's completely mired in Neo-con policies that BOTH the left and the right felt destroyed the country. We could have banded together to get REAL change, but everyone was so afraid a certain someone was going to take away gun rights as well as other Neo-Con funded rumors, that half of them crawled back to Neo-Cons who want the same things that ruined the country... huge corporate welfare and tax favors and more wars to assert the US's masculinity.

And I apologize for being political, but with age DOES come complacency. That's why we're hard programmed to be afraid of the next generation when the trouble makers make the biggest negative noise.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
As I age, actually, I find I FINALLY have the chance to live my life the way I think it should be lived. I have been, uh, puppeteered by forces beyond my control since childhood. I'm a "change" believer all the way, baby!