Anyone else think that D A is a bit stuck up?

BornToWemble

Reaction score
Well, it kind of also depends on just who your audience and who watches and such... like, when I had first joined three years ago, I did a pic that was meant for comedy, involving, albeit censored, nudity, and it was flagged/reported and such, but since then, people know me, and they know what kind of art I do, and as such, they know that I don't do anything that's intentionally inappropriate or offensive, HOWEVER, at the same time, you're bond to draw in haters and such who look for ways to knock you for kicks, and believe you me, here recently, my arch nemesis at dA had a FIELD DAY over creating controversy over a quick sketch I did involving underwear. It brings to mind the classic quote: "Haters gonna hate".
I was a member of DA for 8 years I think, I was no stranger to the nonsense there.

It wasn't an art issue it was a conduct issue. I blocked someone and they got on another account and continued to harass me, I reported them and they said it was fine because they were 'defending' themselves (after I said something to them because I had blocked their main account before they ever commented on my page due to them harassing me on another site- to this day I don't know why this guy hates me). So then someone did that to me and I did the same, and got banned (and again it was actually someone else who initiated it and did it before me in the same situation) and that situation started because they flagrantly broke the rules in a club that I created.

A lot of people report things that aren't against the rules simply because they don't like them. And a lot of stuff that IS against rules stays.

Though don't get me wrong I got plenty of flack for my art but it wasn't anything very bothersome.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, I think I'm finally receiving some of this "stuck-up" ness that was originally expressed in this thread by the OP...

So, I know a lot of people open up Donation Pools so people can donate points to their account, so they can get like premium memberships and such, and sometimes, they get quite a few donations as well... so, I've had a Donation Pool open for like a month now, and nobdy's donated any points to me... not t all... menwhile, it seems like everyone else who hs donation pools right now are being given generous donations... some are even receving donations from the same people more than once...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, I see the ad-fix sure didn't last long... now we're back to ads automatically refreshing themselves every 30 seconds or so, and with two or three (or more) ads on each page, and not all of them being in sync with each other, that really bogs down the page when you have to wait for the ads to finishing reloading themselves... don't you miss the pre-IE7 days when the stop button in the browser actually served as a function, rather than just sitting there and lookin' purty?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Does internet explorer have that nice ad-block addon? I suggest looking into it

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Does internet explorer have that nice ad-block addon? I suggest looking into it
No, it doesn't, in fact, I believe that's a Firefox-exclusive add-on, however, I don't care for Firefox, so I wouldn't switch to it just for that one feature: Firefox, in general, doesn't display contest nearly as nicely as recent versions of IE.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Why is it that every single (generalization) drawing of a lion you see is in lion king style? Seriously. Theres nothing wrong with fan art, but man, figure out your own style and not blatantly rip off a well established style and call it yours :/

beaker

Reaction score
I started Devart usage in 2002. Stopped years ago

What I dont get, is how did Devart get completely taken over by furries? Its like thats why furaffinity was created, so all the cyberravergothfurry folks and their anthro dog characters could have their own place.

Furries and girls posting nothing but sepia toned hipster type photos that look like theyre out of an Urban Outfitters coffee table book...thats pretty much all DA is when I go on there.

That and then youll get some really amazing art from people in the Philippines, Korea or Netherlands. But sadly most young Americans just do the tired manga retread. I miss American comic influence, especially indie comics like Ghost World, Bone, Cerebus, even Jhonen Vasquez

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I can't really say anything to that because I draw anthro animals. I do not consider myself a furry though. Those people are freaks. I just have no artistic ability to draw humans. So either I draw headless torsos or stick an animal head on there. My drawings are more along the lines of Arthur and less "oooo sexy animal" (with maybe like one exception *shot*)

I'm also tired of seeing BAD anime drawings of western characters.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The problem I have with people going "anime" is that they tend to only do bishonen style, which is basically like drawing everything American style like 1960's Marvel comic super hero style. I wanna see someone go nuts and do an amazing Osomatsu-Kun/Tensai Bakabon type thing. You'll see something amazingly stylized every so often.

But yeah, I hate when people try to Bishonen up every American thing ever... especially the "human versions of animal characters" thing. And I am SOOOOO sick of male on male pairs that would NEVER happen in a million years. DA's like where everyone's crazy cartoon sex fantasy comes to life.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I kind of get the feeling the AVGN/NC-esque feud between myself and my arch nemesis has pretty much come to an end, or at least a stalemate... she hasn't really made a nuicance of herself or anything in a couple of months now, and even surprisingly favorited somethng of mine a while back... but then again, I can't speak for anyone else for that matter, because she DOES tend to be an instigator in general, and I know there's a few people she's debated with for one reason or another, so who knows, she could have very well gotten tired of feuding with me and found someone else, or maybe she actually is laying low right now, because the feud really did become so ridiculous, and I think even she saw that when I went on a blitz there for a week showing people how ridiculous it was to make a fuss over one insignificant pic I did involving underwear when there's plenty of stuff on deviantART that's even WORSE than anything I've ever cranked out... and that stuff is actually intentional.