1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Another Jim Hill Muppet rant

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Philip Kippel, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Ernie101

Ernie101 Active Member

I just think that it also takes away from those of us whoms only chance to see certain things like Kermits line being cut.. is the DVD.. Now I will probally never be able to see that line again.. unless I go through trouble trying to get it..

Sad..yes..Very.
  2. Gorgon Heap

Gorgon Heap Active Member

Speaking on which, DOES anybody have the piece with the original ending, and if so, can they post it online?

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole
  3. amiki chan

amiki chan Member

This is rediculous! I like The Muppet Show and I wanted everything on the DVD set to be uncut. What the **** are they thinking?! I am seriously considering canceling my order for Season 1 now :mad:
  4. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Wait! Don't cancel the orders---it's still a great set to own, just angry that they're cutting that one spot. Kermit's rash response is what makes the whole thing so funny!!

If you were at MuppetFest, then you saw it at least once. If not, this is seriously leaving some folks out of something funny.
  5. amiki chan

amiki chan Member

Fozzie Bear I have never seen that pitch reel and I never will see it in its' entirety thank to Disney's editing. I might buy it later but I don't wanna buy it now anymore. I just feel jipped :cry:
  6. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

My biggest problem is the conflicting reports...Aint It Cool says the Sex and Violence pilot is in the season one box set, but Ive heard otherwise. Why the heck wouldnt the pilot be incldued? Does Disney not have access to it?
    If so, that's kind of sad as the Muppet trading community sure has it.

What about Janice talking about posing nude in MTM? I mean Disney is going to have a lot of work if they expect to 'sanitize' all the Muppet stuff.

But yeah, Ive seen the whole pitch and the fever pitch is brought home *BY* that littl ecomment by Kermit at the end...it's exclusion is unwarranted. It's called history revisonism by the big mouse.

Now that is definately a possibility. Given I doubt they'd cut other h word examples from Muppet show/movies, this makes sense.

Oh Kevin, youre absolute disdain for the disney world order shoulda come long before this:)
  7. MWoO

MWoO Active Member

Disney did cut **** from some MTI interviews on the dvd. Maybe they wlll go around doing it to the movies.
  8. DerekJ

DerekJ New Member

3. He was desperately pitching a different show to CBS than the one we got.
    (Remember, this was still a year or two before Saturday Night Live, and there was literally nothing out there to break the Muppets' Ed Sullivan/Sesame image...)

The references to "producer George Schlatter" point out that this was the post-"Sex & Violence" version the networks balked on, and turned Henson network-phobic for the next ten years...
    And the pitch may be interesting for historical value, but doesn't particularly have scratch to do with the Lord Grade version on the disk set.

...Given the chance to look back after a few years of the real TMS, Henson himself would've probably nixed the double-toothpicks for Kermit's image, but remember, these were desperate times.
  9. muppet_dk

muppet_dk Active Member

I can tell you that Sex & Violence indeed are on the set.
    However the Valentine show did not make the cut for this set.
  10. Fozzie Bear

You can't possibly! It's only 2 seconds of footage cut.

Aren't we getting Sex and Violence (the pilot)?
    Aren't we getting lots of good commentary?
    Lots of behind the scenes stuff?

It'd be a shame if you didn't get it and missed out on all the good stuff that'll be on there just because 2 seconds are cut. I suggest getting it.

But, I'm still mad at Disney.

However, at least they're giving us stuff we wanted (and needed) that even the JHC never gave us--so, they're listening. So, I'm not mad at them anymore. Especially not after having seen Rowlf and Swedish Chef in the Movies.com Statler and Waldorf shows. Dunno, gang, but we might see a turn-around where we get what we wanted, even if 2 seconds are cut here and there and, like was said, it could have been because the CBS logo was behind Kermit.

I'm going back to giving it some time. Good things are probable and likely to come.

Here's beggin' for Season 2 of TMS on DVD soon! :excited:
  11. Fozzie Bear

Yes, I was one of those "boo"ers at MuppetFest when Caroly Wilcox mentioned the Disney Company, but I'm over it, man. I started thinking about the things we ARE getting rather than the 2-second cut and am more proud of the things we get.

But, we're fans, and fans are hardly ever really happy! Of course, if they did what we wanted them to, the whole dang company would go bankrupt! ;)

Edit:
    HELLO!
    I just found out (or just paid attention) that the Season One openings are on the set!! How cool is that?! Some of you weren't even born yet the last time these were seen!
  12. Ernie101

Ernie101 Active Member

Wait, I'm confused.. I know I wasn't born, but what exactly are the Season One openings?
  13. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

Well, season one had different openings than all the other seasons. If you've seen any tms opening, it'll be the one with 5 levels of these window arches, and Gonzo blows a horn. In season one, it was like a wedding-cake style platform and Gonzo hit a gong in the O of Muppet Show.
  14. Ernie101

Ernie101 Active Member

Awesome, and the DVD is $40 bucks if it's not pre-ordered? We only have 5 days left!

YAY!!!!!!
  15. Fozzie Bear

Pre-ordered through Amazon: $27.99!!!

Go to the homepage of www.muppetcentral.com, and click on the Cover Art for the season set and order from Amazon.com!!

GO ORDER PEOPLE!!! YES!!! YESSSSS!!! :)
  16. Gorgon Heap

Gorgon Heap Active Member

Fozzie, why not direct people to the Amazon.com link through MC, as ordering from that link gives a small portion of the order cost to fund MC?

To further answer Ernie101's questions, check out this page (scroll down about halfway).

And really, I'm steamed about the loss of the Kermit h*ll too, and worried about the movies (though not THAT worried, it'd be harder to make the cut there than making a cut to something rarely seen). It's a trade-off, the new ownership. Under Henson, we lost the Season One openings- remember, they were NOT included in the Time-Life releases- but yes, we might've gotten the last 2 seconds of the pitch. Under Disney, we GOT the Season One openings that were denied even by Henson, at the cost of those 2 seconds. Not a shabby trade-off, if you think about it. Yes, I'm a purist and I'd like to have everything exactly as it was originally, but if it's a question of the lesser of two evils, the answer, at least in this case, is obvious.

But yea, I am still kinda bummed about that cut- they basically cut the punchline of the sketch.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole
  17. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Oh I know...things are different now...eveyr year the Muppets under JHC were slipping farther and farther away into obscurity. But, at least they were still *our* Muppets. Living in a post JHC Muppet world just doesnt feel th esame. Heck, they can't even come up with a decent logo. Disney has some points going for em. The columbia releases of TMS were just lame, so to rerelease TMS on dvd as a season box set with the original pilot and other goodies is a good start. Never thought I'd see the day when Sex and Violence would make it to dvd. If they release M@WDW on dvd I can almost begin to overlook their other gross misgivings.

Also, it is now absolutely apparent the Kermit punchline was removed because of conflicting corporations. Clearly if Disney releases a segment called "Muppets: Sex and Violence" on the dvd and allows pepe to go on and on about hardcore adult films on movies.go.com then they are not very worried about omitting the h word nor maintaining a squeaky clean image. They got bear in the big blue house for that.
  18. Ernie101

Ernie101 Active Member

Thanks for the help everyone. I am really happy about the DVD! Fozzie, you really opened my eyes on this. A whole season, minus 2 seconds is so much better than nothing.. hopefully someday I will have the benefit of seeing the segment in its entirety.
  19. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

I know that this was to put down that part where 2 seconds are took from a rare muppet reel is fine by me. I would like to see the whole thing but I just want all the episodes on DVD. Can't wait to see them. I'm going to be off thrusday and friday so when I get paid I'm going to get the Muppets and MWOO and watch them until I drop! YEAAAAA!!!
  20. Ernie101

Ernie101 Active Member

I can barely wait.. I have my money saved up.. I have my popcorn ready.. I have my mini refridgerator..I have my.. well the only reason I would have to leave is for the bathroom.. Meh..Who needs it?

Haha!