Annoying Characters

Drtooth

Reaction score
I must be the only person here who feels sorry for Bean Bunny. He's basically the Meg Griffin of the Muppets; only existing as a figure of ridicule. :frown:
Yeah. The writers don't know what to do with him, so they slap him around.

I don't need to say that Bean was lined up to be one of the next big characters and Steve's other big main character other than Rizzo until he took over the role of Kermit and Beaker. Kinda a shame you never see him do anything anymore.

mo

Reaction score
I love Animal in everything he does, every production. But what's annoying about him to me.... he's everywhere. Disney and JHC (when they owned him and the Muppets) have been pushing Animal merchandise out the Yin-Yang. He's on over 80% of Muppet t-shirts, probably more than Kermit and he's seen in every plush set. Just because he's the most popular among casual fans, he's in everything. In my opinion, that's probably the most annoying thing about the Muppets.
that's totally what I mean! non-muppet fans always seem to like him! they hardly know any other characters. so they choose the loud one...

Hubert

Reaction score
Pepe annoys me, and has for a while now. I mean, what's his character, other than flirting with women and being hungry for money and fame? Doesn't that wear thin pretty fast for anyone else? I mean, it made me laugh when I was a younger Muppet fan, but looking back, it just seems like they were trying too hard early on.
Yeah. Basically what I kinda said before. Pepe doesn't really have much of a character it seems other than those things you mentioned. Now I do laugh at Pepe occasionally, usually when it's not centered around women or fame or money. When it's those things, I just roll my eyes at him. My favorite thing that they occasionally do with him is somehow use his accent to create confusion or make a joke.

Hayley B

Reaction score
I like Animal because he's fun, extremely energetic, & find him adorable. Looking back. Me & my brothers liked him through Muppet Babies at first. Then later got reconized in movies (mainly MTM) and The Muppet Show. I love him for those 3 reasons.

As for "merchandise". So, far it's been a little interesting on this Muppet Central journey alone of how much stuff there is. Also seeing stuff that I like and actually don't like.

But I like other Muppets too and I can talk about others (for why I'm here). Love to learn other people's likes and dislikes.

Convincing John

Reaction score
ELMO gets on my nerves!!!!!
Oh my goodness gracious, Katzi, how could someone ever think that? Tsk, tsk, tsk. What's not to love about Elmo? There's the endearing third-person speech, the nonstop giggling, plus the overall high educational content of each and every "Elmo's World" episodes that aren't aired enough! Without Elmo, kids will never find out what feet, hats or babies are! Forget Joe Raposo or Jeff Moss. They couldn't possibly match the musical compositions Elmo masterfully performs with such flair and skill in each episode. The deep, diverse lyrics and original melodies are enough to put Raposo's and Moss's works to shame.

Ahem...

End sarcasm.

I agree with you 100%, Katzi.

Have you seen this clip?

Drtooth

Reaction score
On the subject of Bean Bunny... I have a problem with Baby Bean in Muppet Babies. The writers clearly didn't like working with him. other than like one good episode, he just came off a depressed version of the character... one who's constantly asserting his cuteness and always happy.

Borples

Reaction score
Oh, absolutely. Dumb guy jokes can only be funny after so long. Even Bebop and Rocksteady got insufferable after a while (why couldn't they keep them like they were in the first 5 episodes?)

Andy and Randy are part of the reason why MT had problems. ALL the new pigs on that series were flat 1 dimensional and 1 note jokes. Especially the Bay or Pigs Watch characters.

I did like Andy and Randy in the John Goodman episode where they actually did something. But other than that, I'm glad they haven't been used much since the show ended... other than a Muppet Comic and that one Cat Cora.
I couldn't stand them at the time. Nowadays, I find any scenes where they were paired with Piggy or, especially, Sam amusing. Just because I've got the Muppeteers in mind, and I've always imagined a much milder version of that dynamic between Frank and Dave and Steve. The crotchety old guy being pestered by the goofy pair of youngsters. It's probably way off, but it makes me smile.

But otherwise, I could live without Andy and Randy.

I love the Muppaphones, but Marvin Suggs' voice kind of makes my ears bleed. I guess it's supposed to, but I'd rather not have bleeding ears.

*lol* Well

Haha, well I can say this much. I can definitely appreciate the significance of his role on the show and I can even point to moments when I've enjoyed that showcase some Gorg moments. There are a few lines that I liked and the whole episode where Junior and Mokey are trying to find a friend for Junior is actually oddly sweet. I enjoyed it. But for the most part, I moan and groan when the Gorgs come on the screen.
Is it wrong that his speech impediment drives me nuts?
B, I hear you. His voice always irked me, I think because it's a voice meant to sound way too young/not very bright. Which, maybe he is both of those things, but it still grated. However, I got over it at some point. By the time I saw The Gorg Who Would Be King I realized I loved everybody and everything on that show, including Junior. Similarly, I didn't like the Trash Heap at all in the 1st season. But she was always worth having around, if only for Philo and Gunge.

bandit

Reaction score
B, I hear you. His voice always irked me, I think because it's a voice meant to sound way too young/not very bright. Which, maybe he is both of those things, but it still grated. However, I got over it at some point. By the time I saw The Gorg Who Would Be King I realized I loved everybody and everything on that show, including Junior. Similarly, I didn't like the Trash Heap at all in the 1st season. But she was always worth having around, if only for Philo and Gunge.
Ah! I love the Trash Heap! I've always found it amusing that this pile of trash dishes out wisdom...plus she has an accent. Hahahaha! You know who else got on my nerves as a kid? Cotterpin! Mostly, I think it was her voice and her thinning hair that got to me. Katheryn Mullen sure does some weird voices sometimes. Rock Hockey Hannah?! (I love to talk like Rock Hockey Hannah to my room mate.)

Drtooth

Reaction score
I couldn't stand them at the time. Nowadays, I find any scenes where they were paired with Piggy or, especially, Sam amusing. Just because I've got the Muppeteers in mind, and I've always imagined a much milder version of that dynamic between Frank and Dave and Steve. The crotchety old guy being pestered by the goofy pair of youngsters. It's probably way off, but it makes me smile.
It comes down to overuse. The characters were on way too many skits and doing way too many dumb guy jokes. Anything is funny if done properly, timed well, and used strategically like rations. There are some choice Andy and Randy moments (again, John Goodman episode), but the rest of the time they fell flat.

Though I will say Roger did a good job writing for them in his comic, and they were a brighter spot in that Cat Cora episode.