And America Continues to Show it's True Colors. . .

Oscarfan

Reaction score
It's almost as if he doesn't understand the complexities of anything.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Finally saw the press conference last night. Why is Trump going after the mainstream media? He talked about how divided the country is, and then starts adding coals to an already hot argument between him and the media. If the mainstream media is really out to get Trump and spread lies. Then all Trump should do is get the truth out there.
This is becoming more and more like little kids that break a window, or knock over a lamp, or something like that, then blame their siblings or their imaginary friends. Matter of fact, there's this gem from Trevor Noah's show, where Desi Lydic points out the media's uncanny ability to "take the things that Donald Trump says and remembers them."

If I was President anyone could say anything about me, and all I would do is defend the truth
I'm pretty sure in his own mind, that's exactly what he thinks he's doing.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Someone posted this list on Facebook of all the way Trump has made America great again. . . .

1. Unprecedented levels of ongoing civic engagement.
2. Millions of Americans now know who their state and federal representatives are without having to google.
3. Millions of Americans are exercising more. They're holding signs and marching every week.
4. Alec Baldwin is great again. Everyone's forgotten he's kind of a jerk.
5. The Postal Service is enjoying the influx cash due to stamps purchased by millions of people for letter and postcard campaigns.
6. Likewise, the pharmaceutical industry is enjoying record growth in sales of anti-depressants.
7. Millions of Americans now know how to call their elected officials and know exactly what to say to be effective.
8. Footage of town hall meetings is now entertaining.
9. Tens of millions of people are now correctly spelling words like emoluments, narcissist, fascist, misogynist, holocaust and cognitive dissonance.
10. Everyone knows more about the rise of Hitler than they did last year.
11. Everyone knows more about legislation, branches of power and how checks and balances work.
12. Marginalized groups are experiencing a surge in white allies.
13. White people in record numbers have just learned that racism is not dead. (See #6)
14. White people in record numbers also finally understand that Obamacare IS the Affordable Care Act.
15. Stephen Colbert's "Late Night" finally gained the elusive #1 spot in late night talk shows, and Seth Meyers is finding his footing as today's Jon Stewart.
16. "Mike Pence" has donated millions of dollars to Planned Parenthood since Nov. 9th.
17. Melissa FREAKING McCarthy.
18. Travel ban protesters put $24 million into ACLU coffers in just 48 hours, enabling them to hire 200 more attorneys. Lawyers are now heroes.
19. As people seek veracity in their news sources, respected news outlets are happily reporting a substantial increase in subscriptions, a boon to a struggling industry vital to our democracy.
20. Live streaming court cases and congressional sessions are now as popular as the Kardashians.
21. Massive cleanup of facebook friend lists.
22. People are reading classic literature again. Sales of George Orwell's "1984" increased by 10,000% after the inauguration. (Yes, that is true. 10,000%. 9th grade Lit teachers all over the country are now rock stars.)
23. More than ever before, Americans are aware that education is important. Like, super important.
24. Now, more than anytime in history, everyone believes that anyone can be President. Seriously, anyone.

I actually agree with something on this list: Alec Baldwin is kind of a jerk, lol. :stick_out_tongue:

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Oh man @D'Snowth that was great.

The subject of classic literature reminded me - did anyone hear about a county school banning The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and To Kill A Mockingbird last year? If you did, funny thing is that was my county, we ended up in national news because of it. Apparently a mom complained about racism found within said books and they took them off shelves and stuff. Luckily they ended up deciding they should stay.

Don't know if you heard of this or not but I thought I'd see out of curiosity.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I did hear about that, and all I could was facepalm.

Interestingly, I remember when WISHBONE did Tom Sawyer, and they changed Injun Joe's name to Crazy Joe . . . it was a subtle, yet tasteful way of avoiding what was probably an outdated, politically incorrect term.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Oh man @D'Snowth that was great.

The subject of classic literature reminded me - did anyone hear about a county school banning The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and To Kill A Mockingbird last year? If you did, funny thing is that was my county, we ended up in national news because of it. Apparently a mom complained about racism found within said books and they took them off shelves and stuff. Luckily they ended up deciding they should stay.

Don't know if you heard of this or not but I thought I'd see out of curiosity.
The book is not racist. It is a book about racism, however. Apparently some people in your county can't distinguish the difference. Racism is a central theme of the book and how Huck Finn at the beginning is unaware of the incorrectness of society’s attitudes towards slavery. Throughout the book Huck goes through a gradual process and different experiences which help him to form his own perspective of racial issues. Through the adventures and misadventures of Huck and the slave Jim, Mark Twain challenges the traditional views of race that were present at the time.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
The book is not racist. It is a book about racism, however. Apparently some people in your county can't distinguish the difference. Racism is a central theme of the book and how Huck Finn at the beginning is unaware of the incorrectness of society’s attitudes towards slavery. Throughout the book Huck goes through a gradual process and different experiences which help him to form his own perspective of racial issues. Through the adventures and misadventures of Huck and the slave Jim, Mark Twain challenges the traditional views of race that were present at the time.
I know that, in fact I love both of the books. Perhaps I should have said "racism" instead of racism. I think it was stupid and was just commenting on it. :stick_out_tongue:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Finally saw the press conference last night. Why is Trump going after the mainstream media? He talked about how divided the country is, and then starts adding coals to an already hot argument between him and the media. If the mainstream media is really out to get Trump and spread lies. Then all Trump should do is get the truth out there. There is A Bible verse that talks about being kind to your enemy is like heap fiery coals in there head. If I was President anyone could say anything about me, and all I would do is defend the truth

That is 100% accurate. Wow! This is the main issue I have with Trump. I think the reason that he behaves this way is that some of his angrier voting base enjoys it. This is red meat to them. It also distracts from his failings. Trump will never admit that he's failed at something. It's either a win or someone else's fault. It's not very mature. The news media has no cause to make up anything. It would ruin their credibility and there's already enough real stuff happening that they can report.

The real reason for Trump's antics, I believe, is this:
The Russians, under Putin, hacked into the DNC to tamper with our election. That's an absolute fact. Trump and his team took numerous phone calls with Russia during this period of time. That's a fact too. A cabinet member has already left due to this scandal. The questions reporters keep asking are these: Did Trump's team discuss the email situation with the Russians and was this a coordinated effort? The scary thing is Trump will no answer it. Something is going on. If Trump's team had the least bit to do with the hacking by the Russians, or any knowledge of it during the campaign, this would be the worst scandal in American history. This is flat out treason. There's no other term for that. Citizens from both parties should want to get to the truth of this, but Trump distracts from the facts by using these odd antics. That's what's happening. The best case scenario is that Trump had nothing to do with the Russian hacking, but he's evading the questions so he doesn't look bad. That's still not how a president behaves and it doesn't help the nation.

snichols1973

Reaction score
So I found this the other day, and while it may be a little late posting it I thought it does have a lot of truth to it we need to hear here in 2017. (Warning: some explicit language.)
In spite of the F-bombs, George Carlin still exercises his right to be outspoken, and I still agree with that philosophy of not participating in the 2016 presidential election (if not the language), even if my lingustic preferences aren't the same as his; as a matter of fact, I think this picture pretty much expressed my preferences for the 2016 election and I stuck by my principles to the end, exercising my right of abstention and leaving the presidential portion of the ballot unmarked...

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I would love to see a country hillbilly from the hills of Tennessee or the plains of Texas run for president. You know a good old boy.