An Idea For Something In The Future...

Naravine

Reaction score
Hey guys,
This is my first post ever here.
I expect this place will come in handy later on for me and my little group.
I bought 'The Dark Crystal' on DVD about 3 days ago, Id been searching for that movie since I was like 10 or something cause I used to love it as a kid. But its hard to get hold of here for some reason.
And its STILL my favourite film Id have to say, people can preach its too 'dark' or whatever, but I doubt it would be half the film it is if it was some sissy-pants playskool junk (no offense if you adore playskool..)
Anyway, myself and my friend were sitting there watching this movie going "WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THE WORLD!?" Films these days are such RUBBISH compared to films such as TDC and Labyrinth etc.
We vowed that we'd bring puppets back along with the Fantasy genre!
We are budding Film students at the moment anyway so we know whats involved in the film side of things.
Its only the mechanics of puppets and puppetering that would be concerning us.
I mean sure, Gollum is cool from Lord Of The Rings, but I think puppets are just so much more cool and lifelike compared to all this easy way out 3D stuff.
SO!
We came up with our basic concept (along with half the script by now but we arent posting that all over the net..)
Dont even think of stealing it cause we've copyrighted every peice of paper about the film we've got!
Heres the basic concept:

"Creed of the Blade"
Written by
Daniel Costello and Kane Bennett

Synopsis

An on going war, a forgotten cause; forever entwined in the fabric of time, an everlasting struggle between good and evil. The good have always fought for serenity and the protection of their sovereign Elder, Lord Naravine; a war that has lasted a century and yet still they fight with all the strength of an army destined to follow their routine of bloodshed. The underlying races of a world entrenched in war; the Larin, a peaceful, worldly and loving race, and the Canin, a brutal, war fuelled hideous race. These two societies, in contrast to one another, side by side; in a world that has become their battlefield.
A young Larin character by the name of Lukas, respectful of the subtle nature of a world threatened by darkness. He seeks to restore peace in a world that has for so long been his friend and companion. Through him, the world shall be replenished and all secrets shall be unveiled.
The young Larin Princess Ardail accompanies Lukas, disguised as the noble Wanderers’ aide, the young princess does this to escape the hypocrisy she sees within her home; the palace.
Upon this epic journey, our heroes encounter the gentlest of creatures and the greatest of evils.

Characters

Lukas Pargoll - Main good character
Princess Ardail - Future love of Lukas
Wanderer - Guide for Lukas
Lord Naravine - Good (yet is actually evil God) of Larin
Duke Regorand - Evil God of Canin
Mengorand - Duke Regorand’s evil servants and mages
Laravine - Lord Naravine’s high priests

And so there it is. Thats just the basic idea, whereas the themes within it include some quite intense stuff that we think is important:
Its Anti-Fanatism, such as Religious cults, and some Anti-George Bush stuff in there thats just for our fun cause we were appalled that you guys let (or didnt let...) him in but oh well, and the major theme which is Corruption.
But of course the most important thing to us is that it is a Fantasy film made with only Puppets and no on screen actors.
We even drew up some concepts etc for the characters, but I wont bother uploading those until I see what response this post gets.

Tell me what you think!
Thanks,
-Kane Bennett, Solace Productions.

Iokitek

Reaction score
I didn't read the whole story concept because I have to go and I type faster than I read. But I completely agree that puppets have a certain feel to them that characters such as Gollum miss. That's why 'they' made Book Of Pooh with puppets instead of doing it in 3D. I believe this also works for adults. They just don't realize it yet until someone has proven the point. I'm playing with the same ideas. Only I have no background in movie making nor puppet building. So I guess you're way ahead of me already.

I reccomend also watching movies like The Never Ending Story and if you're really into animatronics I can also reccomend the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movies. I just can't get over how cool those movies are. No matter how bad the story and acting is, those guys really come to life.

Anyways, good luck! :smile:

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
I agree with you! puppets are way better even though I do like some 3D characters like shrek, they are different to puppets though!

I'd imagine that would be hard movie to get in New Zealand, its hard to get here too so we rely on the American releases.

Iokitek

Reaction score
On the plus side :smile: New Zealand is great for shooting fantasy films. Xena and Hercules were shot there. Not to forget LotR ofcourse. Hmmm, maybe I'll move there :stick_out_tongue:

Anyway I just read the story concept. Sounds good. But alot of work will go into it though. Don't underestimate the difficulties in making a movie such as The Dark Crystal. And especially battle scenes can be a huge undertaking.

Naravine

Reaction score
Yeah New Zealand's landscape is just perfect for Fantasy films.
You can go to any major city and within 15 mins drive your in a place filled with huge rolling hills and amazing scenery, its just great!
Well we are only writing at the moment and desiging stuff so Im not sure about how I will go about funding, production etc.
I think if we can get it to a point where everything is perfect (pre-production stage) then I might be able to sell the idea out to a company.
But I wouldnt let it leave New Zealand, I dont mind if people come in, but it ain't leaving.
The best thing for this film I think if I can get it up and running that I would try for Weta Studios.
The only thing I'm struggling with at the moment is the mechanics of puppets and animatronics so Im gonna have to do some research into that.
Heres a more intensive plot concept, still at early stages because more things are coming to me as we come up with the features of the characters:

Creed of the Blade

- Basic Storyline -

The beginning of the film shows the outline of the history of the people within a strange and peculiar world, it shows their differences and how they wage war upon one another along with for what reasons they do this.
It then moves on to meet out main hero of the film: Lukas. We see Lukas living his life through a series of shots that introduce us to this different being and in what ways his routine proceeds. We then get a glimpse of his rebellious nature when he invites some of the Larin Royal Guard in a game of tag.
Next we are introduced to the ‘God’ of the Larin folk, Lord Naravine. He holds a procession out among his peaceful kindred and gives a moving speech of which he reads from a scroll, he reads with such sincerity that we as an audience are led to believe his each and every word and of course; to trust him.
After Naravine gives his speech, Princess Ardail gives a short speech, which turns sour and upsets some of the Bishops among the Larin church, but this doesn’t stop her at all. We see Lukas enthralled by her battle-in-words and how he looks at her in a different way than he would any other royal female.
The procession finishes and Lukas receives an unexpected invitation to Naravine’s chamber, where Naravine speaks to Lukas as if he was his very own son. He speaks of how he knew Lukas’ parents before they were killed by the evil Canin of which is shown through a hazy flashback, symbolising that this is not a memory of Lukas’ own but one that has been brainwashed into him over the years. We now as an audience have absolute respect and admiration for this kind and loving King and Lukas himself also has a newfound respect for the Lord and returns home.
On his way home, in a dark alley, he is confronted by a figure he has been seeing a lot lately around the village, almost on his heels. The two converse and the figure describes himself as a Nobody, a Wanderer or as some call him; a Storyteller. He takes Lukas back to his own room in the local Inn where he informs him of the corruption that lies within his own borders and about a magnificent godly powered sword that was destined to be his own since his parents untimely death, of which was inflicted by Naravine himself. The Wanderer informs Lukas that he must wield the Sword of Power and bring justice and seek vengeance upon Naravine. To do so, the Wanderer tells Lukas that he must journey to the land of the dark one’s and there will he have the final meeting. Lukas’ does not understand why Naravine would be able to meet him there but trusts the Wanderer after he realises the corruption within the church and sanction of his peaceful loving countryside.
Finally Lukas gets ready to depart and is soon joined by a young maiden that has been an aide to the Wanderer since his stay, this young female goes by the name of Ardella and Lukas finds her extremely familiar. Later on in the film we along with Lukas realise that Ardella is none other than Princess Ardail in disguise and she knows of her stepfathers’ treachery and that he must be stopped.
After many seeming-perilous encounters, the two finally arrive at the Dark lands and make their way into the Dark fort to confront the evil ‘God’ of the Canin: Duke Regorand, the Wanderer had told him that before he can banish Naravine he must first eliminate the threat from the Canin to be able to lead the Larin to believing the truth. When Lukas and Ardail finally sneak their way into Regorand’s chambers, they (along with us) are shocked to find that Naravine and Regorand are in fact working and conspiring together. Lukas and Ardail hide and listen to the two ‘God’s fighting, Regorand finally gets bitter about everything and realises that he could have the whole of the Larin’s countryside if he was to take over as Emperor of their territory and therefore and he gives Naravine one last chance to surrender to his will, or else he would be killed. Naravine by now has realised the wrong of his ways and tries to convince Regorand into a peace treaty, this is where our Hero jumps out into the open but not in time before Regorand kills Naravine.
Now finally, the last meeting is between the good of good and the evil of evil. With Regorand’s mighty Hammer of Lustenbrek and Lukas’ Sword of Power, the two must fight for what they both desire. Lukas’ of course comes out the victor but not before the Wanderer appears to try and save Lukas from a near fatal blow, he takes the blow and dies, thus giving a sad part of the film for the audience. Lukas finally slays the dark god, and the end of the film is how peace is restored to the land, and how both the Canin and Larin learn of the corruption within their borders and agree to keep to themselves for the rest of eternity.

Its rough but yeah.

Tell me any of your ideas if you have any!
Thanks alot,
-Kane.

Iokitek

Reaction score
Hey that guy lives in the Netherlands. Maybe I should contact him sometime and ask how he makes those eyes blink. His puppets looks great. I can't even find realistic eyeballs.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
They have major cities in New Zealand? I didnt see any when i was there but that was about 10 years ago, lol!

Naravine

Reaction score
LOL, trust an Australian to say that..
Well big cities would be rather large Towns for you.. With the exception of Auckland which is pretty big.
Ill upload some concept images soon and see what you guys think.
Thanks,
-Kane.

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
Just to let you know, you will have to host them somewhere. MC doesn't support picture uploading.