Am I the only one who didn't like the Calypso Theme Song?

somethingofafan

Reaction score
ISNorden said:
Multicultural as New York City is, though, that musical style just plain doesn't fit a TV show set in a fictional version of the downtown streets.
You just gave me nightmares of a hip-hop version.

dabauckham

Reaction score
I agree that the original is definitely the best. But then, having grown up with that, it's pretty natural to me that I'd prefer it. If I'd grown up with the Calypso theme, maybe I would have preferred that one, I don't really know...

We are definitely, to a large degree, creatures of habit. But I don't think SS should be totally blamed for trying new things. A hip-hop version...? Well maybe not entirely, but if a little bit of funkiness was thrown in, I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing. We should definitely try to stay open - I'm sure SS doesn't want to totally pen themselves into a box (although, IMO, they kinda have with Elmo's World and some of the very repetitive formatting found on the show nowadays)...

gutchman

Reaction score
new closing credits

so did episode #3006 have the animated version of the closing credits at the end or not?

gutchman

Reaction score
episode 3006

so, LincolnHeights, did episode 3006 have the calypso music at the end of the episode or was it still the harmonica theme from 1969-92?

mjb1124

Reaction score
I actually kinda like '92 theme and opening, but at the same time, it just felt like the end of an era. And in retrospect, it really was all downhill from there.

SSLFan

Reaction score
Yeah, the 92' theme was OK, but(even though I actually was born around that time) I still perfer the classic opening better. Sounds pretty weird coming from someone who actually grew up on the show around that time?!:smile: I have mentioned this plenty of times, and I hope I don't upset anyone, but, I just guess coming from my point of view, the show really seemed to just tumble downhill after the AtC sets were dropped and Elmo's World came onscreen. I was happy they showed some more Classic Sesame marterial, but it just seemed everything just went away too quickly. Like someone mentioned, it just seemed it changed overnight. Justlike when AtC came aboard, some Classic Sesame fans were happy , some were not( which I respect). Like right now, the format change that took place in 2002 really upset me, but I learned to deal with it. I had to learn it was for KIDS. What were your reactions to those changes(AtC, new opening, format change, Elmo's World) Classic Sesame fans?

wiley207

Reaction score
The new opening was a slight change, but the rest of the show was unaffected. "Around the Corner" was a big change, because they introduced loads of new characters that were partially unneccesary and kept doing plots about the AtC location, and the use of the new theme didn't help. The 1998 change was OK, I mean, they got rid of the calypso theme and the "Around the Corner" sets, and they also used a new version of the theme done in the classic style, and they also introduced "Elmo's World," which was partially annoying. We still got to see some classic stuff, though. Season 30 also marked the final appearance of "Mysterious Theater" and a few of the older characters, but it was still a good season. The new format seemed tough to get used to at first, but the more recent seasons look OK. Season 37 seemed to be the best of the new-format seasons, according to what I read at Muppet Wiki. They still had some occasional classic skits ("The Alligator King" also made an appearance), they brought back the Fix It Shop, Abby Cadabby was introduced, they got rid of "Journey to Ernie," etc. Also, "Trash Gordon" doesn't seem too bad. It's actually pretty short (around two minutes at least), so that helps a bit. Plus it's good to see Gordon more involved. Now they just need Susan to make a cameo in it. Frank Oz also still performs his characters from time to time, and we've still got Caroll Spinney and Jerry Nelson and Fran Brill and Marty Robinson, some of the best veteran Muppeteers that are still alive.

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
Oh I hated when they changed the theme. They made things more culturally diverse, which in some ways was good, but they tried too hard sometimes, IMO. I just wanted things simple; a plain, classic Sesame Street theme song and I really didn't get into the change toward "hip-hop". I was 6 when the theme, set, and some characters changed. A lot of the "classic" feel I was used to started slipping away. That's why I have mixed feelings regarding the "Around the Corner" years.

SSLFan

Reaction score
What happened to the street everyone knew and love? Will it ever be the same again?:cry: