A Heart of Gold

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Oh, how I love it! I want to hug Rowlf! Playing music, bringing Kermit back to life and everyone is still everyone and how wonderful! I know he'll still have a long road ahead, but this was just so nice. Great chapter Lisa, can't wait to read more when you get back from your trip.

Leyla

Reaction score
As Lisa has already mentioned, she's very kindly been stamping on my delicate heart with torture lines which, in fact, amount to pretty much the entire story thus far.

In other words... neener, neener, I know what's happening... at least, to a point. :stick_out_tongue:

Anyway... this is a WONDERFUL story that I find wonderfully WONDERFUL, and, of course, very very very good, too.

But... you know... it's sort of funny, reviewing, when I've already reviewed it right there with her in real time. So, with her permission, I'm going to quote my own reactions to this story... and you will all realise why it takes me a ridiculously long time to review... I have to try to make sense (Yes, yes, Lisa... go ahead) in these things... In messenger, I'm not so burdened.

Let's see... fairly early on, when I didn't know what had happened with poor Kermit... I worried a lot... a whole lot... and asked dangerous questions...

"Oh... oh dear, oh dear..."

But... I tried to stay positive...

"smiles> <stiffens upper lips> Yes, Yes... think of the good things!"

And Lisa kept me on the edge of my seat...

"Ooh!! And??!?"

And of course, I read that description of the war...

"Can't....breathe..."
"I would scream, but... I can't."

It probably won't be the last time I say:

"You're a mad woman."

And then came the talk about their communications from home... I took that in stride...

"FRIDAY'S WITH FOZZIE!!! IN WAR!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

And Lisa's body count continued to rise...

"<collapses dead on top of Prawnie's corpse>"

But, don't worry... with Prawnie and I there, supporting each other... we were going to be just fine.

Leyla: <writhes>
Prawnie *dead*
Leyla:<deader
Prawnie *deadest*
Leyla: <Neener, neener> Hey!
Prawnie: *you can't hey! You're dead!*

The fun never stops on MSN. Let's see... then we had to wonder just how Kermit got his Purple Heart... I was optimistic.

"Getting shot in the caboose would do it..."

Then we considered the deep effects that love has on people... and how skilled Lisa is at conveying the strength of emotional bonds... one in particular...

"Heaven help the frog if Piggy gets a hold of a chainsaw."

Isn't the idea of Fozzie and Rowlf sharing a room a great one? Of course, I waxed philosophical about their contrasting, and yet complementary personalities.

<loves,hearts, and adores the doggie-bed>

One of the things I appreciate about Lisa is her even-handed treatment of Miss Piggy... yep, she's a pushy aggressive pain in the frog's neck sometimes... but that's not all she is... Lisa knows that, so sometimes I get to say things like....

"<is SO happy with Piggy's gentle side on display here> ... must be feeling vulnerable with her frog so far away."

...and it goes without saying that any comments like that are made in a completely non fangirlish manner.

"Oh, Piggy, you clever, clever girl... she DOES understand her frog."

<cough> Moving on... It's important that you never panic during a torment line session. And you should certainly never insult or threaten the line giver... Lisa knows I would never do that.

"...okay... that's not unsettling. That's TERRIFYING!
Okay... something's WRONG!
Kermit didn't finish that... he didn't pass his love to Robin. He didn't finish that.
Bad.
Bad bad bad bad bad.
A bad thing of bad badness."

"I hope you realise you're gonna have to ushy gush the heck out of me to balance out the pain."

If there is anything I HAVE learned from watching Lisa spin this story out before my eyes, besides that I am a LUCKY girl and Lisa knows how to write right some good... it is to watch for subtle clues that serious pain is coming.

Lisa: <<<<<<<<<<Hugs>>>>>>>>>>
<giggles> Uh oh... that's a lot of hugs... can't be good.

That way, you can make sure you stay calm, and unemotional...

"<shivers> Goodness, goodness... I'm so... intrigued and confused and... oh, fascinated and even horrified by all of this."

And never ever let slip that you are shocked, surprised, scared or delighted by the lines...
WHAT!!!!!!!!
<GASP!!!!!>
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, that pretty much covers my reaction for the first chapter or two...

And, just as a teaser... my most recent reaction to this story was:

"<giggles> Gotta love a frog of action."

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Chapter Six

Robin sat on the middle step of the stairs, watching, and singing along. He kept a special watch on Kermit, and wondered if his uncle would cry again if he crept into view. He wasn't sure he wanted to risk it... But no Muppet could resist music... He tiptoed down the stairs.

Sometimes it's no fun to be this small, Robin thought as he weaved through the maze of legs. But sometimes, it's got a good side. It didn't take long before the young frog reached the piano bench and hopped up to sit next to Rowlf.

Kermit didn't notice the young frog at first, but as his gaze swept over his friends, he suddenly found himself looking straight into those eyes.

He flinched. He looked away but, overcome with a multi-dimensional guilt, he forced himself to keep his eyes on the dark green skin. He had missed his nephew so much... and now he couldn't even look at him. He quietly kicked himself for it, and for the reason for it, and for...

He winced, forced what he hoped was an apology for Robin into his eyes, and eventually allowed them to move on.

Robin frowned, wondered why looking at him made his uncle upset, hoped it would get better, decided to set it aside for now, and joined in with the song.

They sang for a long time.

Kermit stole many glances at his nephew. Each glance inflicted pain. He found that he couldn't bear to look at the young frog, and couldn't stand to ignore him. So he stole glances, brief little glances, and listened to his sweet little voice, and hummed along with some songs.

Between the glances, his eyes slowly danced over all of his friends, and one by one, he greeted each of them.

But, as Miss Piggy noticed, and Fozzie did not, he did not look directly to his left, at her, or to his right, at him. He did not say hi to them, either.

He said hi to the penguins and the Swedish Chef, and looked around, and realized that there were only three people he had not yet officially greeted.

One was small and green, one was brown and furry, and one was... well... she was.

One hurt too much to look at- for which he was less than pleased with himself- one probably hadn't even noticed the lack of notice, and one was sending off vibes of impatience.

It would be fun to make her wait.

He spent the next song looking at Fozzie. The bear's paw refused to move from Kermit's shoulder, and he found himself grateful for that. His hat was still there, and the tie was still white with pink polka dots. His ears still wiggled.

Yes. Fozzie was still Fozzie.

The song ended.

"Hi Fozzie," Kermit said quietly.

Fozzie turned and smiled at him. "Hey Kermit," he said happily.

As subtly as she could, Miss Piggy quietly leaned over the piano. "Rowlfie?" she whispered. The dog nodded.

Rowlf played the slightest little flourish, drawing attention to the piano once more.

Attention would not be on the piano for long.

Kermit had been holding Miss Piggy's hand the entire time they had been singing. She released his hand and walked her fingers up his arm as she took a solo- whether the other Muppets liked it or not.

"Fish gotta swim and birds gotta fly!"

Her hand crept to his shoulder and then to his chin.

"I've gotta love one- frog- 'til I die. Can't... help... loving that frog of mine!"

Oh yes. She had his full attention.

Fozzie knew his place and awkwardly lifted his paw from Kermit's shoulder.

"Tell me he's lazy, tell me he's slow! Tell me I'm crazy- maybe I know," she giggled. "Can't... help... loving that frog of mine."

Her hands lightly traced over his shoulders and cheeks, just enough to make him tremble and squirm.

"And when he's away...." Her hands sank down to his chest. "That's a rainy day..." They trickled down to his sides. "And when he comes back that day is fine! The sun will shine."

Her fingers made stepping-stones of the buttons on his uniform, right back up to caress his chin.

"He can come home as late as can be..."

He didn't even notice that his good hand stretched out and settled itself on her waist.

She leaned in. "Home without him ain't no home for me," she murmured. "Can't... help... loving that frog of mine..."

As Rowlf played a closing flourish, Kermit looked straight into her eyes and wondered how on earth he was still standing.

He took a deep breath- oh.... she smelled beautiful...

"Hi Piggy," he managed to whisper.

She smiled and pressed up against him. "Hi Kermie," she murmured, and she gave him a disappointingly chaste kiss that left him desperately yearning for more.

"Oh, please," Sal groaned, "Can't you save it for when you don’t have an audience?"

Miss Piggy playfully pushed herself away from the frog. "If you insist," she trilled smugly.

His arm snatched out around her waist and held her close. He was discreet enough that no one called him on it, but he had very little intention of letting go.

And then it was dinnertime.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! ZOW!! That was SUPER amazingly AWESOME!! Oh Lisa it was just SO good! SO funny! And SO heartwarming! But poor Robin!! Kermit WHAT happened?! Ugh! What could be that bad...Poor Kermie...And then the ending. Perfect.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
So glad you like the ending. I like it, too. It's sort of like... "Neener neener, I'm leaving soon and you get to drool for more until the twenty-eigth! I win!" ...Erm, except nicer. Because I'm not that mean. No. Certainly not.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Oh another great one! I loved the line "It would be fun to make her wait" That's like old Kermit coming back a little bit more! Oh, but poor Robin, he's just so Robin...I hope Kermit can see that Robin is still Robin too. Great stuff, it was a nice surprise to get another chapter before you left!

theprawncracker

Reaction score
TogetherAgain said:
So glad you like the ending. I like it, too. It's sort of like... "Neener neener, I'm leaving soon and you get to drool for more until the twenty-eigth! I win!" ...Erm, except nicer. Because I'm not that mean. No. Certainly not.
*glares at taunting half* We'll see! WE'LL SEE!! ...So can we see? Please? :halo:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
You know... I kinda feel bad for Robin. Going unnoticed, both figuratively by the others as he traced through their legs, and literally by his uncle.
Makes me want to sit on that step at the middle of the stair case and sing Halfway with him.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
TogetherAgain said:
Ha! Sorry, I'm supposed to be cleaning my room right now.
And I'm supposed to be...Wait...I'm not supposed to be doing anything...Curse my lack of a social life!!