A couple more alphabet segments

mikebennidict

Reaction score
yeah I recall that 1 though I myself also think the opening part was a bit scary.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Oh good, glad you've seen it. Whenever it had been a while since this one came on I kind of braced myself for that sudden opening. But one time I was sitting in front of the tv with a bottle of soap bubbles on a tray in front of me. I was blowing bubbles while watching SS. Just having a great ol' time. Then this skit started and the red muppet prances up the screen. I spilled the bottle of bubbles all over the tray. :embarrassed:

Ziffel

Reaction score
And Sesame Mike, GeeBee, and fuzzygobo, I'd love to hear any thoughts and memories you have of this skit (first mentioned at post#14). Thanks. :smile:

Oh and also you, Rosewood. I'll bet you recall it.

Censored

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
An alphabet sketch I've brought up a couple of times before (like in the "what sketches scared you as a kid" thread) was the one with two anything muppets (one red and one green) that take turns saying the letters of the alphabet. It always used to scare me at the beginning when the screen was blank with a blue background and suddenly the red muppet darts up the screen with a kind of eerie booming sound in the background. But I haven't seen this one ever mentioned by anyone else. Surely people who saw SS in the 70's like fuzzygobo, mikebennidict, Xerus, GeeBee, and Sesame Mike had to have seen this one. I would estimate that it played about every 40 episodes back then! Please someone let me know if you've seen this. By the way, it ends with the two muppets merging together in the middle of the screen saying, "Oooh oooh are we gonna make it? Okay good."
Oh yes, I remember that one. I always thought the trick photography at the end was cool.

Rosewood

Reaction score
And here it is, strait. All the way from Episode 8!

SesameMike said:
The boy tries to push the huge egg off and does "K, L, MNO. It doesn't seem to wanna go."

I think the boy and girl did alternate lines. Another one of the boy's lines was "U, V, W. I didn't mean to trouble you."

The girl's last line was "X, Y, then there's Z. (egg instantly hatches) Now there's a lizard on your knee." This reptile has a hat and cane and starts singing/tap dancing, in rhythm with the earlier beat. "I dream, of Jeannie with the light, brown, hair. <something> as a birdie, <rest of line???>"
Boy: "A, B, CDE - There's an egg here on my knee."
Girl: "F,G, HIJ - Brush the silly thing away!"
Boy: "K,L, MNO - It doesn't seem to want to go" (pushing on it as he speaks)
Girl: "P, Q, RST - Sorry pall, don't look at me!" (or something similar)
Boy: "U, V, W - I didn't mean to trouble you."
Girl: "X, Y, then theres Z (Egg hatches) now theres a lizard on your knee!"
Lizard, with top hat and cain, jumps off boys lap and proceeds to dance, while singing "I dream of Genie with the light brown hair! Soft as a "furnee" on a summers "zeld"! (don't ask me what "furnee" and "zeld" mean, but I couldn't make out anything different.)

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Play it again Sam?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was one later alphabet segment I saw once around the mid to late 80's. A blue muppet was at a piano and he went through the alphabet as he played. Then someone told him to play it again (so maybe this was a loose parody of "Play it again Sam?"). He played it again and when the guy told him to do it once again he said, "But boss.." But the "boss" insisted so he did. Then he told him to play it again. The blue guy was really stressing out but the boss still insisted so he did the alphabet and piano playing yet again. Anyone remember this one? And how it ended?
I definitely remember seeing that one in the late 1980s, but I'm not sure how it ended. I remember the boss kept insisting, "Play it again, Sam" and Sam finally relented and played the whole alphabet again. I don't think there was much more to it than that, but it's been forever since I've seen that one. And yeah, from the setting that I remember and of course, that famous phrase, I think it was definitely a Casablanca parody.

Though "Play it again, Sam" is another popular misconvoluted saying that actually was not said in the movie Casablanca. What Humphrey Bogart's character said was "Play it, Sam."

However, Woody Allen made a 1972 movie that paid homage to Casablanca, called "Play it Again, Sam".

There are a couple of these such misnomers. Just like Sherlock Holmes never said, "Elementary, Dear Watson" in any of the stories (Believe me, I've read most of them:wink: ) and Captain James T. Kirk never said "Beam Me Up Scotty" on the original Star Trek show. He did say, however, "Beam me up, Mr. Scott"
(And he actually finally did say, "Beam Me Up Scotty" in a Star Trek novel.)

Ziffel

Reaction score
Thanks GonzoLeaper. So looks like Woody Allen did a comedy from the Bogart line in Casablanca and then SS did a parody of the Allen movie or both. I've still never seen Casablanca.

Censored

Reaction score
GonzoLeaper said:
I definitely remember seeing that one in the late 1980s, but I'm not sure how it ended. I remember the boss kept insisting, "Play it again, Sam" and Sam finally relented and played the whole alphabet again.

I think that was how it ended. They kept doing that as the scene faded out with some kind of parody line from "As Time Goes By."