A beginning...

robinthecrow

Reaction score
Hi,

Since I joined this group I planned to start making some pro-looking puppets and despite being here awhile now I am finally putting together ideas in my head to start with.

Here are two puppets in their final designs (as drawn in PSP8) they will be used for some video productions that are currently being scripted.

The Doctor: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/maxwood/puppets/doctorsmall.gif
who is going to be a live hand puppet, the right arm/hand will be interchangable with one that can be used by a second performer and one which will sit there (for example when Nicky "Avenue Q" is being operated with just Rick) - ya know what I mean!

and

Astra: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/maxwood/puppets/astrasmall.gif
who will be a regular hand and rod puppet.

Does anyone have any suggestions? comments on the designs? colours?

David.

robinthecrow

Reaction score
Right I will be starting off with the girl and a penguin (not shown). I have ordered some foam sheet to get me started and some alpine fleece in pink and black to cover the things with. I'm getting all excited now! :big_grin:

gfarkwort

Reaction score
Thats great!!!... Glad you are excited, Have fun building your penguin.........How much foam did you order?

Luke

Reaction score
Penguins are good. We like Penguins here ... Good Luck !

robinthecrow

Reaction score
I think I have ordered enough foam to manage some prototypes or duplicates (which I think will be necessary considering the author of the production the puppets will star in would like one!) Let's hope they turn out good!

robinthecrow

Reaction score
Right! The foam and the fleece turned up... Now I'm having problems glueing the foam together!

My hot glue doesn't seem to want to glue it! I also bought some adhesive from the people who sent me the foam, a spray bottle of mutli-purpose adhesive - will give this a try with a short sample.

Is there any recommended glue to use with the foam? Or techniques?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
The best thing to use to glue foam is an all purpose contact cement gel. It's usually sold in paint cans at Home Depot and hardware stores. You have to be careful because there are many different kinds of contact cement. It's probably a good idea to ask a clerk which one is best for gluing foam rubber.

The drawback of contact cement is that the fumes are very, very harmful. Be sure to work either outside or in a very well ventilated area like a garage. Be sure to wear a respirator with an organic vapour cartridge to prevent yourself from inhaling the fumes.

gfarkwort

Reaction score
Actually.believe it or not I've found something better than contact cement for glueing foam....I stumbled upon it by accident trying to find contact cement...It is called Super RC Z 56.....I buy it at a hobby store in my neighborhood and the glue drys CLEAR....the only drawback is it takes 24 hours to dy fully....and there are NO fumes so its safe to use indoors :smile: I think its wonderful and have made several Puppets with it....and it doesnt work only with foam it also works with fabric, and vinyls as well as othr stuff. :wink:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Another "slow dry" adhesive is Weld-Bond, which I've used. It works great and is non-toxic (unlike contact cement) BUT the lengthy drying time means that a puppet that takes hours or days to make could take weeks instead. :smirk: