1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

1980s SS alternate opening song? - not "Sunny Days"!

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by Lezard, May 1, 2012.

1. Lezard

Lezard New Member

I was born in 1977 and grew up watching Sesame Street longer than most because I had younger siblings. So I probably watched it through the mid-1980s, and possibly even later over summer vacation.

I remember an alternate opening to the show -- not "Sunny Days" -- a different song that was used occasionally, though not very often. It's possible it was just an instrumental, but I really think it had words because I remember still being able to sing it when I was 12 or 13, though it was harder and harder to call to mind. Now I can't call it to mind at all, and it really bothers me. Does anyone else remember this?

I had at least one Sesame Street LP growing up, so when I sang "Sunny Days", I always knew the "magic carpet ride" verse that was often left out of the opening of the TV show, though I don't think that's where the confusion lies either. For a while I thought it might have been "Somebody Come and Play", but I don't think that song was ever used at the opening, was it? I really remember this song as being an opening song.

The video I associate with it (though I could easily be confusing it with the "Sunny Days" video) is a small merry-go-round (the kind you power yourself) and kids climbing on a jungle gym. The general ending I remember is Barkley playing with kids on a hill.

Did it ever rain on the opening of Sesame Street? Could it have been a different opening because it was raining? Am I grasping at straws?

IN SHORT: Was there an alternate opening song during this period? This has been bugging me for ten years at least -- especially since I still knew it well after my Sesame Street watching days were over. Someone please put me out of my misery.

Thanks.
  2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Could this be what you're thinking of?

3. Lezard

Lezard New Member