For Crying Out Loud, What is Wrong With You People?

beaker

Reaction score
Gadgets are made in some pretty devious places under horrible conditions... it's not all that disconnected.
What? Foxcon plant in China, where most our electronic crap is made, is totally safe and humane....lulz

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There's more evidence now that we pretty much HAVE to upgrade to Blu-ray sooner or later, whether we want to or not... remember back in the day, whenever a movie came out on home entertainment, the commercials always said "On VHS and DVD", then eventually it was switched to "On DVD and VHS", and even later still the VHS aspect was eliminated altogether to just "On DVD"? Well, that's happening again, only this time, the DVD aspect is being phased out and some movies are advertising just "On Blu-ray". Disney movies are the biggest perpetrators of this at the moment, but I noticed other movies are slowly phasing out the DVD aspect of their home entertainment commercials.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
There's more evidence now that we pretty much HAVE to upgrade to Blu-ray sooner or later, whether we want to or not
If Blu Ray literally becomes the only choice that's fine. But for now I won't be forced into buying a new player when the one I have isn't broken. :wink:

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I won't lie I bought a blu-ray player when the Muppets came out back in March but that was only cause I had money back from my taxes otherwise I'd never be able to get one. I had been wanting one anyways but... I don't really believe one is better then the other. I do feel companies like Disney whatever is on the blu-ray should also be on the DVD as not everyone has a blu-ray player. But I guess that's how their making their almighty American dollar. :/

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I learned something today...

If you do not have a tv with HDMI inputs...FORGET ABOUT GETTING A BLU RAY PLAYER

I got a blu ray player for christmas, and as it turns out, the only output is HDMI. And on further research, I discovered that all blu ray players these days ONLY have HDMI output. So unless your tv has them, no blu ray for you.

And that sucks for people who first bought HDTVs when they were just released because many of THEM don't have HDMI input.

And now...off to Best Buy to buy a new tv...at some point. My grandmother needed a new tv anyway (she still has one of those ancient ones that aren't even flat. Picture is horrible) and she'll get mine...:sigh:

Slackbot

Reaction score
And on further research, I discovered that all blu ray players these days ONLY have HDMI output. So unless your tv has them, no blu ray for you.
My Blu-Ray player, a Panasonic DMP-BD755, is connected to my TV via RCA cables. RCA compatibility was one of the things I looked for when getting one, because my TV is definitely pre-HDMI.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Well, I meant new blu ray players.

My blu ray ONLY has a single HDMI port, and many nowadays do...

Yorick

Reaction score
Not a single person I know buys tv box sets anymore...why should they? Its all on netflix streaming, itunes or other services. Cloud networking, high speed digital streaming. That's the future. 1080p beamed RIGHT to your tv or downloaded to your hard drive...doesnt matter if you have a bd player or not.
It seems you're correct that this is how it's going. But I don't like it, because if netflix, itunes, (or the company with the rights) wants to stop a show or movie from streaming, then it's gone. If a physical version exists, you can get it used at a later date, at least.

With music, you really just need the songs you like. No need for an album with artwork or any of that. Hey, I sometimes miss those days too.
When I love a musical artist, I want the full album, and this way I can give all the songs a chance to grow on me. Artwork should be there for albums, and I mean the size of vinyl record covers, not a small jpg file or whatever.

The only thing I like about the way this is headed is that it might mean less plastic for the landfill. Other than that though, I think it's a shame. I know it's happening, and I know consumers are happy to go with the flow (as opposed to me - I simply know I can't stop it)...but it's still sad.

(I use the word "consumers" specifically to show a lack of passion or real thought in their shopping choices. That would be the majority of folks - those less likely to dig deep or try rare things...as opposed to most of here, I reckon, who have eclectic tastes. I also am not trying to be condescending to those consumers, and I'm sure a lot of them are nice people, but it ruins things for those of us with more discerning taste is all.:embarrassed: )

Hubert

Reaction score
Hm...now I have one of these blu-ray players that a relative insisted on getting me, so we'll see how that goes. It might actually be nice since I can finally play my Muppet DVD bonus features, but I have no idea where to put it, as there's like no room around my TV to even put a blu-ray player. I do have HDMI outlets though, so hopefully it will be good.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It seems you're correct that this is how it's going. But I don't like it, because if netflix, itunes, (or the company with the rights) wants to stop a show or movie from streaming, then it's gone. If a physical version exists, you can get it used at a later date, at least.
I like the ability to collect a physical item, first and foremost. But that does bring up an excellent point. We're still going to have to deal with dreaded rights issues that keep us from getting the shows/movies we really want legally. And once these companies have complete control over internet content like that (don't tell me that isn't coming), we can't even get them as crappy old VHS copies in 260 quality on Youtube.

And I bet Disney will still pull the same crap with the "Disney Vault" too.