For Crying Out Loud, What is Wrong With You People?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
This whole freaking argument over why blu ray is so much better than dvd is absolutly stupid. This is the kind of garbage I expect from PS360 fanboys, not muppet fans.

Everyone who owns a stupid blu ray player is acting like expressing an opinion that someone does not want to buy a blu ray player and thinks it is a waste of money is personally attacking them! I have been trying to explain to both sides the reasoning and now I have BLEEPING HAD IT!
NO ONE IS SAYING THAT YOU CAN'T HAVE A BLU RAY PLAYER WITH A STANDARD TV, BUT THAT IT IS POINTLESS! Pointless? HOW CAN HAVING A SUPERIOR MACHINE BE POINTLESS? Ok. You do need a hi def tv to truly see any difference in the quality of a picture. If you have to watch a hi def blu ray on a standard def tv, IT WILL BE STANDARD DEF. So, if that is the case, it is more logical to just buy the freakin standard def dvd.

It is someone's personal opinion if they do not find that buying a blu ray. WHEN DID EXPRESSING AN OPINION BECOME A CRIME? Last time I checked, a person could express their disinterest in owning a blu ray player and not be carted off to jail. So why are you people taking everything so personally? Guess what. I own a PS3. I can watch blu ray movies. But guess what? I have a giant, standard def tv. It works fine. I don't care that my games are in standard def. I got a ps3 because it has games I want to play, and they are not on any other system. Movies, on the other hand, are in two formats, the oh so all mighty blu ray, were everything must be so freakin sharp to see a person's gross, sweaty pores, or a standard def disk for people who just want to enjoy a movie without needing to see every skin flake. Yeah, I COULD buy a blu ray player. Nothing is stopping me. Other than the total pointlessness of getting the same viewing experience for 30 plus bucks that I can for 15. WHERE IS THE LOGIC IN THAT?

Yes, yes, yes, I get that you want your precious special features on a dvd. I do too. I think everyone does. And I get that blu ray owners need to defend their precious unit. Note that none of this rant has anything to do with people wanting special features. Special features are kinda moot in terms of the overreacting about a negative comment or two about blu ray players! Am I overreacting? Yeah, probably. But if there is one thing that makes me mad its the stupid elitist attudes that people have over "Well, my product is better than yours. You have no right to complain when you can just go and buy one." NEWSFLASH! No, we can't just go and buy one. You dont know how people's financial situations are. Some people make enough money to live and get the essentials and barely have any free spending money. Sometimes, spending 15 bucks on a dvd is a rare treat because we don't normally have that kind of money. I am a college student with no job. You think I can magically make money appear out of air? Whats that? A credit card? Well, my parents are right now paying my credit card when my dad makes dirt working in a factory and they can barely afford to pay the bills. I have so much time invested in school work, you think I could work a job? Heck no! There are no job openings anywhere, and places that are hiring are hiring adults. SO HOW DARE YOU PEOPLE USE FINANCE AS AN ARGUMENT WHEN YOU DONT KNOW WHAT WE ARE GOING THROUGH! NO, WE CAN'T JUST GO OUT AND BUY A BLU RAY PLAYER!

I just cannot understand why it seems like people think it is their duty to shove their superior product down someone's throat when they express an opinion.

DrTooth is right on the money, and yet people are too focused on the fact that he is saying that blu rays are pointless instead of the real point of his problem that there should not even be this stupid watered down dvd nonsense.

So please, can we just be civil to each other? Since when does owning a blu ray player make you better than people who dont? Remember, this has nothing to do with the special features. IF YOU DONT WANT TO BUY A DVD, DONT! IF YOU WANT TO BU A BLU RAY, GO FOR IT. STOP ATTACKING OTHERS FOR THEIR CHOICES!

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Finally! A thread focused on this topic. Now hopefully the other threads this issue has taken over can open up for their actual topics' conversation! :big_grin:

Thank you!

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Yes, that was one of my intentions for starting this thread. Let everyone just vent their hostility out of the dvd thread. I am not being sarcastic in this post. Making large rants and venting really does help you calm down once you get it out of your system

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I can kind of understand; I do occasionally feel a sort of arrogant vibe about the Blu Ray (not here particularly just in general). And frankly I don't think that's where the future is headed at all. If anything should take over it's streaming video or an eventual combination of TV and Internet.

kyunkyua

Reaction score
I have a Blu-Ray player, but doesn't work in Europe, not even with a converter. :frown: Is there an extension you can get for your laptop? I know I'm getting the Blu-Ray, I just have to figure out how to play it at this point.

Sorry, off-topic. XD Um...I like hi-def. I think Disney is pushing the transition too soon. Blu-Rays are worth like 10 more points on Movie Rewards, which always annoyed me. Plus the digital copies only ever come with the Blu-Rays now. I miss when you could get them with the DVDs, too.

Drtooth

Reaction score
WHEN DID EXPRESSING AN OPINION BECOME A CRIME?
Floyd... take it from me. It ALWAYS has been.

I swear that the last generation of parents raised a generation of spoiled brats who got every Transformer and Ninja Turtle they released (who threw them away the second they got bored with them and set them on fire when they were teenagers) who grew up to become tech jerks that buy the latest of everything and thumb their noses at everyone who didn't fall butt backwards into a tech job last decade or just have really well to do parents that still buy them things.

I've always hated being the poor kid that could only afford a 10th of everything I ever wanted, and of all the things from childhood to NOT change, that would be it.

All Blu-Ray offers are slight improvements to picture and sound that you can't pick up on a regular television. Sure, it does play, but it's like putting a race car engine in a Chevy Malibu when you live in a Cul De Sac... what's the point of going high speeds if the car can't take it, or you can't even drive all that fast anyway? The fact that all special features are now Blu-exclusive (and don't think that some kickbacks from Sony aren't to blame) on every single home video release of every single movie smacks of forcing people on a new format. I honestly think the greedy 00's where everyone had to get the biggest shiniest most expensive pieces of garbage out there DID contribute to the huge collapse (everything bought on credit cards), and it's really great to see no one has learned a lesson from it. In fact, the entertainment industry is clearly punishing those who don't have extra money to buy cable (there's another rant for you right there) or special DVD players that play special DVD's with a special laser.

Remember the HD/Blu-Ray wars? I swear, the entire reason we even have premium DVD's is because of Sony and Microsoft's joystick swinging contest between PS systems and X-Box systems. I wish they BOTH crashed and burned.

I can kind of understand; I do occasionally feel a sort of arrogant vibe about the Blu Ray (not here particularly just in general). And frankly I don't think that's where the future is headed at all. If anything should take over it's streaming video or an eventual combination of TV and Internet.
That is EXACTLY what we're going to get, and not in the distant future either. DVD's have a few good years left, why have an expensive massive system with slightly higher quality that's only good for watching special effects driven movies and TV shows when it's going to last barely a few years? I don't like that everything has to be streamed... we're going to need to buy (clearly price fixed) higher quality internet... not that I'd mind severely... but I'd rather see that than some slightly different kind of disk that plays a slightly higher quality of a movie on very expensive equipment.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Um.. Sarge... is it.. um... y'know... um... that time of the month? :embarrassed:
Not that I'm aware of :smirk: I just got so tired of the arguing and me trying to stay cool that I just lost it.

I've always hated being the poor kid that could only afford a 10th of everything I ever wanted, and of all the things from childhood to NOT change, that would be it.
I've always been the poor kid. Which is strange since I did actually have a first run PS2. But other than that I always have to wait until something is obsolete to get it. But you know, sometimes I'm happier without the newest, latest thing. It means that stuff for it is cheaper XD

And you know, while that was directed towards blu ray in general, if theres one thing that makes me mad, its the condescending attitude that people have towards others who dont have the newest or best thing. People who shove macs down your throat (I dont care if they are better, I dont want one), people who shove whatever videogame system they have down your throat...

Drtooth

Reaction score
And you know, while that was directed towards blu ray in general, if theres one thing that makes me mad, its the condescending attitude that people have towards others who dont have the newest or best thing. People who shove macs down your throat (I dont care if they are better, I dont want one), people who shove whatever videogame system they have down your throat...
Tell me about it. Seriously, if I had a Blu-Ray I'd still be angry that all the Muppet fans couldn't enjoy the deleted scenes. If there's one thing we should all be in agreement about is that we all want to see more of the movie. There's no fun in having someone explain it to you and not having to have a nice discussion over a shared experience. I feel sorry for the European members that have to wait until next month to see the film.

I can stand not being invited to a Birthday party, I just can't stand people who were invited and feel they need to lorde it over me. Every response I got on that thread was either:

• Buy a Blu-Ray Player!
  • It's not that expensive
  • Life's unfair, loser! Now I'm gonna watch premium editions of stuff because I can!
  • Why can't you be happy that we're getting something you're not?
Condescending to say the least. I've heard bigger complaints over the Palisades line that everyone loved than the ones those who don't have Blu-Ray players are giving. It's so disheartening that Disney chose to blow off the fan base to kiss Don Sony's ring. I get that it's huger quality if you have the right TV and sound system (that's at least 3000 right there), but the special features SHOULD be available for both. At least HALF the special features. With the exception of a few current TV shows, Blu-Ray is just for movies, and again... if you want an experience watching a movie, GO TO THE MOVIES! The audience reaction is worth more than all the digital clarity in the world. Jokes are funnier with others laughing.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It's a symptom of the economic chaos in our country right now. We're in the middle of a Recession but in a first world country like this, the majority of us can go about our daily lives not being too aware of it. So it's easy to forget that a lot of people simply can't afford to rush out for every new gadget (or even every new movie). And even if they could, it would be a little financially irresponsible after awhile.