Pre-Order Sesame Street Old School Volume 3 (1979-1984) coming to DVD 11/6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Are they going to bleep out any of the underscores of the theme song?

Seriously... How can a TV show NOT OWN it's own theme song? I'd love to see someone explain that one.

Edit: To clarify.. how can a TV show not own its own theme song if it's specifically written for it, and not using a song that existed previously (like Married with Children).

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Let's say that Sesame Workshop was to continue producing these Old School sets after this one - How long do you guys feel they could go before the name "Old School" became invalid?
I'm sure once it hits the 90's, or at least the last set, they'll drop the title. Though, to be fair, the 90's episodes are over 20 years old at this point.
To share a slightly related anecdote, when I was at Comic Con one of the vendors asked me if I was interested in "old or new comics." I said "old, definitely." But when I suggested Transformers or G.I. Joe he said, "Oh, those are new." I was shocked, remember we're talking roughly 1983-1990 here! But in the grand scheme of things that's still considered new! Lol

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I don't think it's a music rights issue; the reviewer just made it sound that way.

Drtooth

Reaction score
There's no other reason left to cut it, if that's the case. If it's a likeness issue with some kids or something, they can easily blur their faces out like they do in the Transformers DVD's with the commercial bonus features.

KSiteTV

Reaction score
Hi,

I am the author of the DVD review for Old School Volume 3 at KSiteTV. I found this forum, trying to see if anyone had any insight on the theme music thing.

I grew up with old Sesame Street so some of my statements were based on memory (which could be faulty) and not fact.

To clarify some things:

- The only place I've noticed Fonzie was, I believe, in the promo for the earlier volumes. Still, he did manage to make it in there, when I think he would have been cut for a rights issue otherwise.

- Another area where I could be wrong, but the only time I recall hearing the Sesame Street theme as a music cue -- though there may be other places -- was at the start of the marathon episode, very briefly.

- I don't know what happened with the theme; I was or am assuming a rights thing or else it would have been on the menus or *somewhere.* Still such a bummer. I loved having all this stuff at my fingertips, and then one of my favorite parts was gone, which annoyed me.

- I did not know that about the closing credits just being on Friday! It's been 30 years since I saw these episodes as a kid, and I guess my faulty memory thought it was daily. Oops!

Thanks for reading, though... and if there are any questions about specific "Classic Cuts" I can pop it in and look it up for you, if it helps at all.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Oh, so Fonzie's just in a promo then? That makes sense; a sketch with him was on the last set. As I said, another recent Sesame DVD had full episodes, but lacked the theme song, so I don't think it's music rights; I think it's just an odd move they're trying to do. It's a shame they'd do it on the classic episodes, since the theme is what most people remember.

I have a question about the bonus segments though: I don't want to know what the rest are (don't want to be too spoiled), but how many are there? A different review listed 9 as "highlights" and said they run just under an hour. How many segments are actually included (without naming names)?

Drtooth

Reaction score
- I did not know that about the closing credits just being on Friday! It's been 30 years since I saw these episodes as a kid, and I guess my faulty memory thought it was daily. Oops!
I could see where that is confusion. Though, the previous Old School sets had the credit crawls as part of the classic cuts, since these episodes included were all Monday aired season premiers. In fact, it wasn't up until last decade when the Sesame Street credits came after every episode.

KSiteTV

Reaction score
I have a question about the bonus segments though: I don't want to know what the rest are (don't want to be too spoiled), but how many are there? A different review listed 9 as "highlights" and said they run just under an hour. How many segments are actually included (without naming names)?
From looking at the first disc (since it's handy)

Season 11 bonus has 5 clips/segments under "bonus" plus audio commentary by Sonia Menzano. There's also one in there that would surely be "something that needs to be cleared," but it worked out.

Season 12 has five.

Season 13 has five.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
From looking at the first disc (since it's handy)

Season 11 bonus has 5 clips/segments under "bonus" plus audio commentary by Sonia Menzano. There's also one in there that would surely be "something that needs to be cleared," but it worked out.

Season 12 has five.

Season 13 has five.
What about Seasons 14 and 15? Do they have 5 as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.