Pre-Order Sesame Street Old School Volume 3 (1979-1984) coming to DVD 11/6

Status
Not open for further replies.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
I've been reading the DVD Talk review every chance I got today. While this DVD does sound very promising, there is one thing that sticks out: one of the Classic Cuts includes "In/Out with Barkley". With that in mind, I watched it on YouTube, and it looks to be from the late 80's/early 90's (could it be a remake?).

Otherwise, just like everyone else, I'm wondering what the "Trash Outta Heaven" segment is all about, and which "Cookie Monster and Kermit" segment will be included.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I've been reading the DVD Talk review every chance I got today. While this DVD does sound very promising, there is one thing that sticks out: one of the Classic Cuts includes "In/Out with Barkley". With that in mind, I watched it on YouTube, and it looks to be from the late 80's/early 90's (could it be a remake?).

Otherwise, just like everyone else, I'm wondering what the "Trash Outta Heaven" segment is all about, and which "Cookie Monster and Kermit" segment will be included.
Apparently, "In and Out" is from 1984 and done by Luis, remade in the 90's by Maria, so it counts.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I thought that was from season 18 or 19 (saw it confirmed as such on Hulu, though there have been cases where I know Hulu is wrong about the season).
Welp. Shows what I know! It could be one of their early 80's bits then, like the cookbook or telephone lecture.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Here's another review:
http://www.ksitetv.com/dvd-reviews/dvd-review-sesame-street-old-school-volume-3/17376

It doesn't mention what bonus segments are included, but it does mention something unfortunate: The episodes are presented without the original opening sequence. I don't know why that wasn't mentioned in the DVD Talk review.

One thing I noticed: when the review mentions characters who Sesame Workshop got clearances to include, it mentions Fonzie. I thought all of the Fonzie segments were from season 9, which would eliminate their chances of being in the classic cuts (I could be wrong, or whoever compiled the clips could have made a mistake). And I know none of the Noggin versions of these episodes featured him, so either Noggin cut one of the Fonzie appearances or it's included in place of something.

Though I wonder if they needed to make clearances for the Happy Days characters or just the actors involved. The previous Sesame Street DVDs that include them don't have any copyright notes regarding the characters.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Confirmation of Classic Cuts is all I need.

It doesn't mention what bonus segments are included, but it does mention something unfortunate: The episodes are presented without the original opening sequence. I don't know why that wasn't mentioned in the DVD Talk review.
I don't see why they can't. Don't they OWN their own theme song? That's rediculous.

However, the reviewer did forget that the credit crawl was only Fridays at that point, so something may just be wrong with the review.

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity...

Let's say that Sesame Workshop was to continue producing these Old School sets after this one - How long do you guys feel they could go before the name "Old School" became invalid?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm sure once it hits the 90's, or at least the last set, they'll drop the title. Though, to be fair, the 90's episodes are over 20 years old at this point.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity...

Let's say that Sesame Workshop was to continue producing these Old School sets after this one - How long do you guys feel they could go before the name "Old School" became invalid?
I think technically at least the early '90s could be called Old School at this point. Which is kinda scary, lol.

Personally I didn't grow up with that era of Sesame Street and I have a few problems with it. But at the same time I'm sure people older than me had problems with my generation's seasons, hehe.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Here's another review:
http://www.ksitetv.com/dvd-reviews/dvd-review-sesame-street-old-school-volume-3/17376

One thing I noticed: when the review mentions characters who Sesame Workshop got clearances to include, it mentions Fonzie. I thought all of the Fonzie segments were from season 9, which would eliminate their chances of being in the classic cuts (I could be wrong, or whoever compiled the clips could have made a mistake). And I know none of the Noggin versions of these episodes featured him, so either Noggin cut one of the Fonzie appearances or it's included in place of something.

Though I wonder if they needed to make clearances for the Happy Days characters or just the actors involved. The previous Sesame Street DVDs that include them don't have any copyright notes regarding the characters.
That's a shame. The episodes on "Elmo's Magic Numbers" didn't have themes either, but you'd think they'd have them on this kind of release.

I'm assuming the Fonzie bit was a Noggin edit; I don't see any other explanation for it being on the set.

Also, if you ask me, I'd say that while SS considers up to season 24 "classic" in terms of the older video player, I'd say they should do the sets up until season 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.