Shows you hate but love?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That's like saying every cartoon duo is Ren and Stimpy.
I wasn't necessarily talking about the fact that it's a cartoon duo, even though that does play a factor, it was moreso the humor and premise of the show and everything seemed like another Ren and Stimpy.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
And I'm double posting because I might as well add this one as the shows that I watch anyway but don't like.

Sabrina the Animated Series.

Now, I'm not saying it's a bad show... it has its moments, and there are some episodes I rather enjoy. But I just don't care too much for it, especially since the genuinely good episodes never see reruns. Especially the one with Weird Al, which thanks to their refusal to rerun every episode (what's all this about wanting to see shows return in reruns?) no one believes me exists.

But the worst would have to be the episode with the Billy Go Boom Boom doll. They love that one. They rerun it more than any other episode, and it drives me up the wall. The story is basically thus... Sabrina is helping to raise money for the library, and she winds up seeing said toy in the window... and it's the only day of a sale and it's the only one left, and the spoiled rich brat girl is about to buy it, and she winds up taking the moral low road and uses the funds she raised and at any time can pay back to purchase the toy. She's still in the wrong, no question... but wait till you see how extremely hamfisted this gets...

The toy haunts her in her dreams in that old Christmas Carol ripoff way, stating that because she did that one dishonest thing that one time, it's a slippery slope to wind up selling her powers said spoiled rich girl that everyone hates and she winds up aging into a fat old sack of sad. Even though, I'm sure what Gem does with Sabrina's powers are the exact same things that got Salem turned into a cat. So the episode ends with Sabrina selling the toy to spoiled brat for a LOT less than its worth (she gets a dollar), and now has to work (humiliating jobs for, guess who? Spoiled rich rotten girl) for the rest of the money back when she could have kept the freaking toy and worked it off the debt anyway. And Gem comes out the Karma Houdini, getting exactly what she wants AND humiliating the protagonist. But Hey... at least Sabrina keeps her powers that she can never use to harm or kill Gem at all. :rolleyes:

I ask you? How Ham fisted was that for a moral?
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES I LOVE THAT SHOW!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wasn't necessarily talking about the fact that it's a cartoon duo, even though that does play a factor, it was moreso the humor and premise of the show and everything seemed like another Ren and Stimpy.
Still doesn't resemble it at all. The humor is completely different. It's more like slacker/stoner humor without the drugs. It could easily be on Adult Swim. Ren and Stimpy is basically a wannabe old school cartoon that actually seems like it, at least with the John K. episodes. They don't reference anything past the 1960's.

Regular Show is more Clerks like. Actually, yeah... that's the example I'm looking for.

Animal'sBunny

Reaction score
One Tree Hill. It's so stupid and dramatic and annoying... yet so addictive...

Nick22

Reaction score
Now that you mention Degrassi, definitely that. And *braces self* Keeping Up With the Kardashians. I may have posted this in this thread already but, they're just so entertaining I can't help myself.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You'll probably never know how much I HATE the fact that I actually like the Pony Show. It's... it's zombifyingly good. The back off, stay away, you've been warned sort of good. I blame the internet for making me that morbidly curious. And that *&^% Dr. Hooves T-Shirt I saw at Hot Topic. That gave me the "Maybe it would be good" notion. You see... THIS is why I hate having to see everything I can. I might like something I shouldn't. But You'll NEVER know how much I hate myself for caving in. I TRULY do. On the plus side, considering that people have Honey Boo Boo and TLC's fat freak of the month type shows ad guilty pleasures, I shouldn't be so ashamed.

Still... for me to list ANYTHING as a guilty pleasure, you know something is wrong. I don't usually feel bad for liking anything.

Also, I kinda feel conflicted about Funky Phantom. On the one hand, I love to just toss out the entire 1970's animation decade, especially some of the stuff Hanna Barbera did at the time, and I'm a huge HB fan. I saw the Saturday Morning 1970's volume one collection used for 4 bucks, and gave it a go (at least it had a Jetsons and Batman cartoon on it, if nothing else.... and a Scooby-Doo Movies episode). While I really have a distaste for the Scooby-Doo knockoffs (Speed Buggy and Goober aren't terrible but I'd never even try to watch them on YT when I'm bored), something about Funky Phantom was actually enjoyable. Maybe it was the slapstick of Elmo the dog and Boo the Ghost cat, or the fact the crew was refreshingly NOT like Scooby's gang (they were kinda stupid, vitriolic best friends, and the girl was a bimbo... sort of dysfunctional). Plus I love how the "It's not really a ghost" reveal can co-exist with an actual ghost.

So to sum it up, I have WAAAAY too diverse a taste in animation.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Yo Gabba Gabba...it's creepy and horribly made and they darn-near-ruing the Rainbow Connection, but it's so bad it's almost funny how absolutely not the slightest bit of effort went in.