Shows you hate but love?

robodog

Reaction score
Truthfully, nothing certain internet fandoms do surprises me anymore.

Adventure Time is one of those shows I'm surprised at myself for liking. It's utterly bizarre. The type of thing I usually avoid like the plague. And yet I enjoy it. I'm not sure why.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I just can't get in to Adventure Time or Regular Show. I've watched them a few times, but nothing really struck me as interesting or amazing. Or entertaining >_>

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I always saw Regular Show as an expy/rip-off of Ren and Stimpy.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I always saw Regular Show as an expy/rip-off of Ren and Stimpy.
Not

even

close.

They're two entirely different shows with two entirely different modes of humor. That's like saying every cartoon duo is Ren and Stimpy. If you said Beavis and Butt-Head, it's slightly closer. But it's far from what Ren and Stimpy is about.

I'd say Regular Show is more like "Dude, Where's my Car?" if Dude Where's My Car didn't suck, and the weird supernatural stuff wasn't just pasted in because they couldn't think of an ending.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And I'm double posting because I might as well add this one as the shows that I watch anyway but don't like.

Sabrina the Animated Series.

Now, I'm not saying it's a bad show... it has its moments, and there are some episodes I rather enjoy. But I just don't care too much for it, especially since the genuinely good episodes never see reruns. Especially the one with Weird Al, which thanks to their refusal to rerun every episode (what's all this about wanting to see shows return in reruns?) no one believes me exists.

But the worst would have to be the episode with the Billy Go Boom Boom doll. They love that one. They rerun it more than any other episode, and it drives me up the wall. The story is basically thus... Sabrina is helping to raise money for the library, and she winds up seeing said toy in the window... and it's the only day of a sale and it's the only one left, and the spoiled rich brat girl is about to buy it, and she winds up taking the moral low road and uses the funds she raised and at any time can pay back to purchase the toy. She's still in the wrong, no question... but wait till you see how extremely hamfisted this gets...

The toy haunts her in her dreams in that old Christmas Carol ripoff way, stating that because she did that one dishonest thing that one time, it's a slippery slope to wind up selling her powers said spoiled rich girl that everyone hates and she winds up aging into a fat old sack of sad. Even though, I'm sure what Gem does with Sabrina's powers are the exact same things that got Salem turned into a cat. So the episode ends with Sabrina selling the toy to spoiled brat for a LOT less than its worth (she gets a dollar), and now has to work (humiliating jobs for, guess who? Spoiled rich rotten girl) for the rest of the money back when she could have kept the freaking toy and worked it off the debt anyway. And Gem comes out the Karma Houdini, getting exactly what she wants AND humiliating the protagonist. But Hey... at least Sabrina keeps her powers that she can never use to harm or kill Gem at all. :rolleyes:

I ask you? How Ham fisted was that for a moral?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
And I'm double posting because I might as well add this one as the shows that I watch anyway but don't like.

Sabrina the Animated Series.

Now, I'm not saying it's a bad show... it has its moments, and there are some episodes I rather enjoy. But I just don't care too much for it, especially since the genuinely good episodes never see reruns. Especially the one with Weird Al, which thanks to their refusal to rerun every episode (what's all this about wanting to see shows return in reruns?) no one believes me exists.
I've seen that episode. I actually only remember the weird al part and don't remember anything else about it :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've seen that episode. I actually only remember the weird al part and don't remember anything else about it :stick_out_tongue:
One of my mutual followers on Youtube put it up a while back... Basically, Sabrina wished that her friend and her aunts were in a pop band with her (obvious Spice Girls parody), and then they wind up breaking up with very obvious references to other famous groups. Even making a joke about the story of Michael Jackson buying the skeleton of the Elephant Man. It's a real shame, that was a very well written episode, even without Weird Al.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I remember that show; it's actually on Netflix. The one I remember most is the episode where they get some kid of literal illness (i.e. Salem says he's happy as a clam, thus becomes one).

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
That's why Adventure Time is such an amazing show. On the surface, it looks like a nerdy, quirky goofy little show...

but then the episodes get intensely dark. Like why the Ice King is the Ice King. And the episode where the gender confused Cookie commits suicide because he can't be a princess (ending with him in a mental institution). Not to mention all the fridge horror the show implies. This cute little show about sentient candy and rainbow unicorns is basically a post apocalyptic wasteland that happened after the "mushroom war," which got its name from mushroom cloud, basically straight out saying the Earth was destroyed by a nuclear holocaust.

Adventure Time! Come for the cute quirkiness, stay for the horrifying implications. :excited:
I'm actually working on a comic about the Great Mushroom War, Ice King's origin, and Finn's origin. After learning about how deep the show really is, I got hooked.