The Muppets 2011 Script

Drtooth

Reaction score
I can't really see how Frank OZ was that upset...it feels like a very unpolished script. It seemed very rough with room open for better characterization. I can't imagine that a seasoned film veteran like Frank Oz couldn't tell that this needed a lot of work. The basic idea is there and that did work.
I think the fan base and the media took everything out of context. Like I've said a million times, I'm a little more disappointed that Frank didn't help shape the script, but that's understandable since he's so busy with other things.

I'm going to wait until there's something on either Muppet wiki or tough pigs that detailed highlights of what this script was like before. Somehow it does seem like if they shot the movie that way, THEN all the criticisms would have been right. But said Muppet personnel fixed this movie and gave us the great film we got instead.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think the fan base and the media took everything out of context. Like I've said a million times, I'm a little more disappointed that Frank didn't help shape the script, but that's understandable since he's so busy with other things.
And still I don't know why you're assuming he'd even be listened to if he had tried.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And still I don't know why you're assuming he'd even be listened to if he had tried.
The final project means they would listen.

Think of it this way... if you were a huge Muppet fan and wrote a script and showed it around some Muppet Vets who said, "So and So wouldn't say this! This script needs some rewrites, and I'd do things this way..." you'd gladly take the criticism and ask them for help to shape it into something better. This isn't one of those big studio "we wanna get money" type deals where they force a stupid concept into the film, this would be a suggestion from someone who was their near the beginning that personally knew Jim. The fact they even went to him off the bat shows how much respect they have for him. If Frank suggested anything, they'd gladly pull out a notebook and pen and scribble down anything he would have said, even if their arms were hurting. Why? Because any rational Muppet fan who's making a movie would.

It seems that Jason, Nick, and James were all for getting suggestions and feedback from the Muppet people at Disney and the puppeteers. They wouldn't have had a table read without it. Disney coulda just made the entire film sight unseen, but the Muppet staff wanted to craft something that's essentially a fan fic into an official product. Not once during the process did you hear stories of script problems by the studio that got the staff completely angry over the rewrites and suggestions they were given. This is the internet age. If someone so much gets a stomach bug while eating bad catered food on the set of the movie, we'd know what movie, which star, what they ate, and the name of the food company the second it happened.

So, yeah, it's an assumption, but there's far too much evidence to suggest that they didn't welcome the changes. This wasn't a Cool World or Looney Tunes BIA situation.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The final project means they would listen.

Think of it this way... if you were a huge Muppet fan and wrote a script and showed it around some Muppet Vets who said, "So and So wouldn't say this! This script needs some rewrites, and I'd do things this way..." you'd gladly take the criticism and ask them for help to shape it into something better.
Not if I was with Sesame Street apparently. :wink:

Nor most of the Star Trek movie writers who quickly stopped taking the original creator's advice (arguably for good reason in that case).

This isn't one of those big studio "we wanna get money" type deals
Every Hollywood movie is a big studio "we wanna get money" type deal.

The fact they even went to him off the bat shows how much respect they have for him.
That I will grant. :smile:

If Frank suggested anything, they'd gladly pull out a notebook and pen and scribble down anything he would have said
Again, you're assuming something you have no first hand knowledge of.

Disney coulda just made the entire film sight unseen...Not once during the process did you hear stories of script problems by the studio that got the staff completely angry over the rewrites and suggestions they were given. This is the internet age. If someone so much gets a stomach bug while eating bad catered food on the set of the movie, we'd know what movie, which star, what they ate, and the name of the food company the second it happened.
Again, I will grant you that. :smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It seems that Jason, Nick, and James were all for getting suggestions and feedback from the Muppet people at Disney and the puppeteers. They wouldn't have had a table read without it. Disney coulda just made the entire film sight unseen, but the Muppet staff wanted to craft something that's essentially a fan fic into an official product. Not once during the process did you hear stories of script problems by the studio that got the staff completely angry over the rewrites and suggestions they were given. This is the internet age. If someone so much gets a stomach bug while eating bad catered food on the set of the movie, we'd know what movie, which star, what they ate, and the name of the food company the second it happened.
Well, the DVD and blu-ray come out next week. Maybe they'll reveal any big problems on the audio commentary...:wink:

Warldorf

Reaction score
I don't know what everyone is saying. This is a great script! In fact, some parts I'd rather have than on the real movie! The part with Bruce Springsteen and the sharks really cracked me up!

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
Eh, I don't know. It is written with very amateurish hands. I'm rather suspicious of this one.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Not if I was with Sesame Street apparently. :wink:
There's a difference. The Muppet movie had to answer to a nostalgic fan base, while that sort of fan base is the least of SW's problems. I mean, we're here to buy shirts and watch clips on youtube. They have to deal with so many child educators and child psychologists, all the while having to compete with vapid changes to kid's programming. I tend to think the writers and staff secretly harbor a resentment towards that, but they have to comply to compete. Educational shows have a LOT more to answer to than people that watched them when they were kids and liked them is what I'm saying.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
There's a difference. The Muppet movie had to answer to a nostalgic fan base
I'd agree except for the multitude of horrific remakes of nostalgic TV shows and movies Hollywood keeps horrifying us with. They don't seem to care about a nostalgic fan base in those (many) cases.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
You know, I'm a little scared to download this, mainly because downloading might not be safe. I'm sure I'll eventually give in, but I'm not sure.
But tell me, does this draft have Uncle Deadley? Is it the one that ends with it revealed that Tex Richman was really Kermit?

I've read some mention that the Muppets seem to have awkwardness after returning. I sort of expected that in the movie (the "You think we should have rented a bigger car?" scene seems to have shown some signs of awkwardness, especially in the trailer when we see more of the scene). It is weird that, when they are all together, it's like they'd never really had any conflict (aside from Kermit and Piggy's conflict).