Warner Home Video now distributing Sesame Workshop DVDs

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Something I don't quite understand: Has Iron Monster been rereleased? I know it was a Target exclusive back in 2010, then had a wide release in january 2011... But it seems to have been rereleased again. Last week Sesame Workshop's Facebook page promoted it as if it were new, there's been a few times recently when I've done a google search for "sesame street dvd 2012" to see if the next release after the new Elmo's World DVD comes out has been announced and saw Iron Monster as a result, and today I was at Target and saw it in the "new releases" section (and I looked at the packaging and saw that it has copyright dates of both 2010 and 2012). What's going on here????

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Something I don't quite understand: Has Iron Monster been rereleased? I know it was a Target exclusive back in 2010, then had a wide release in january 2011... But it seems to have been rereleased again. Last week Sesame Workshop's Facebook page promoted it as if it were new, there's been a few times recently when I've done a google search for "sesame street dvd 2012" to see if the next release after the new Elmo's World DVD comes out has been announced and saw Iron Monster as a result, and today I was at Target and saw it in the "new releases" section (and I looked at the packaging and saw that it has copyright dates of both 2010 and 2012). What's going on here????
Looking at Muppet Wiki, it seems the DVD has a new cover. I wonder if that's all... It was just released last year, and the video rights haven't changed since, so why did it need a new cover? It's not like any of the other releases have new covers, and I doubt any of the content has changed.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
So, apparently, the April DVD, "Big Elmo Fun", will have the full "Monster Hits!" video as a bonus feature.

What an odd method of re-releasing videos. I hope "Sing-Along Earth Songs" can finally hit DVD this way though.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
So, apparently, the April DVD, "Big Elmo Fun", will have the full "Monster Hits!" video as a bonus feature.

What an odd method of re-releasing videos. I hope "Sing-Along Earth Songs" can finally hit DVD this way though.
So I guess there won't be a new DVD in March. I wonder if the "Big Elmo Fun" DVD will be another Elmo spotlight video (after The Best of Elmo 1 & 2) or if it'll be themed around sizes (would be a good one to include Kermit's lectures on short and tall/little and big, though probably not). Hmm, and I don't think there have ever been any size-themed videos.
Weird that Monster Hits will merely be a bonus feature. I thought it was currently available as it's own DVD from Warner Home Video (I know, Warner has released many television specials many different ways on DVD).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Looking at the new Big Elmo Fun DVD cover, it looks like there might be a new style to Sesame Street covers. This one no longer has an illustrated Sesame Street lampost at the side.

I don't know if including existing videos as bonus features will be a new trend or not, but if so, then I wonder if the upcoming "Best of Sesame Friends" DVD will include The Best of Ernie and Bert (though one of the clips in that one is nominated for voting) or The Best of Kermit on Sesame Street. I'd rather see some bonus clips that hadn't been released commercially, or some cool featurette (yeah, how likely would that be?), but it would be a good way to get those two long out-of-print videos back in print.

I don't think any additional information on Big Elmo Fun has been posted yet (it's only been a day, though additional information seems to be added within a few days of initial announcements), so we don't know if it's a size-themed release (I suspect that "Measure, Yeah, Measure" song will be included) or an Elmo-themed release. Perhaps the use of Monster Hits is a clue that it's an Elmo spotlight video, since he is heavily featured in that one (though he's only in one of the inserts, and one where he's part of an ensemble cast of mosnters at that). Or, if there is a new trend of rereleasing old videos as bonus features, mayeb they're not intended to have much to do with the videos they are features with (after all, the "Sesame Street Double Features" and "Essential Sesame Street" releases didn't pair videos by subject).

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Based on the cover and the mention of a growth chart coming with it, the DVD DOES include the street story from a season 42 episode. And since it doesn't state yet if there's any other street stories with it, it's possible that, like Elmo's Music Magic, it's the one story that takes up the whole DVD, with some short new scenes filmed to break it up and allow for some inserts.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
And since it doesn't state yet if there's any other street stories with it, it's possible that, like Elmo's Music Magic, it's the one story that takes up the whole DVD, with some short new scenes filmed to break it up and allow for some inserts.
I had no idea that Elmo's Music Magic was done like that. And it makes me wonder, if they're going to release single street stories with insert interruptions and such, why don't they release some pre-2002 street stories that way?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It's been confirmed at Muppet Wiki that Big Elmo Fun will have three street stories, one involving a butterfly and one involving cooking, as well as two new songs with Elmo (I wonder if they really are new as in the DVD is their debut or if they're from the newest season).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
According to Muppet Wiki the next new DVD will be "Elmo's Magic Numbers", featuring TWO full-hour episodes. The two episodes are the one with the magician who uses subtraction for magic, and the hat contest episode (both have a magic theme). The DVD will also include Elmo's World: Hats as a bonus feature, which I find weird. I would have thought maybe some classic number segments or an existing number-themed video would be more appropriate for a bonus feature. I'm also surprised that it's not just the street stories and additional number segments.

With the DVD including two different episodes that concern both counting/math and magic, it's a wonder it doesn't include The Amazing Mumford's subtraction act as a bonus.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I don't know whether this is the right thread for this, as I don't think Warner Home Video distributes the DVDs in Austrailia, but I was looking at Muppet Wiki yesterday and saw that the Austrailian releases of quite a few of last years releases include bonus clips not on the American releases, and yet all of those additional bonus clips are segments that appear in Best of Sesame Street Spoofs: The King and I appears in Learning Letters with Elmo, Desperate Houseplants and Here is Your Life: Oak Tree appear in Wild Words and Outdoor Fun, and Beat the Time: Elmo appears in Elmo's Travel Songs and Games. It makes me wonder if Best of Sesame Street Spoofs was released in Austrailia. I expected to see Six Dollar Man included in the Austrailian release of Silly Storytime, but that one doesn't have any additional clips.