"MAN OR MUPPET" Nominated for Best Original Song OSCAR!

DannyRWW

Reaction score
I read over on muppetmindset that they have limited the number of songs that get nominated from a movie so votes aren't split. This may explain why the other songs were not nominated. They may have all qualified but Man or Muppet waqs the one that scored the best.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I read over on muppetmindset that they have limited the number of songs that get nominated from a movie so votes aren't split. This may explain why the other songs were not nominated. They may have all qualified but Man or Muppet waqs the one that scored the best.
I read that too, where it said that they limited the number of songs per movie to just one just because three songs from Enchanted were nominated and lost, which seems ridiculous. Enchanted had the advantage and still lost... If it was the other way around it'd make more sense.

And why do the Muppets only get Oscar nominations for their music, as opposed to special effects, directing, writing, best picture, and so on...

Still, Man or Muppet is one of my favorite songs from the movie, though I am still surprised this was nominated as opposed to Life's a Happy Song or Pictures in my Head.

zoebell

Reaction score
yeah. i actually thought both those other songs were better than man or muppet, tbh. man or muppets's fine, but to me it was too reminiscent of the flight of the conchords joke songs.

and life's a happy song was the big showstopper, i was sure that would be nominated! pictures in my head is more meaningful and emotional too. and on top of that, i wanted the muppets to actually sing the song at the oscars, but this is the one jason and walter did, so they're really all that's needed. what'll probably happen is they'll have kermit or somebody introduce it i guess.

i think these rules suck. under the old rules, probably all three would have been in there.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
I do get how the vote could be divided if three songs from the same film are nominated though basically you have three high quality muppet songs to pick from. Lets say there are ten votes. Each of these gets two for a grand total of six votes for muppet songs. Whatever this song fromRio is gets only four. It wins because it got the majority even thoughoverall the muppet songs got more votes. I'm guessing this is why no song from enchanted one. In sense your not really voting for the song but the feature the song came from. To be fair this is the song Jason Segal pushed for sp I can see why it may have gotten more attention. Wow I'm reading what I jsut typed and I'm not sure I make any sense. I've come to the conclusion that when that happens I just need to say "Fart shoes"

goldenstate5

Reaction score
I remember lurking here years ago and the top headline was for the release of a new YouTube video.

My oh my how things have changed for the better.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
I remember lurking here years ago and the top headline was for the release of a new YouTube video.

My oh my how things have changed for the better.
Agreed. Still some negativity about how well the Muppets performed at the Box Office (I think it did fine myself) but I think we are still in a better place with the Muppets than we were a while back. I mean look at this. It might be the Muppets first Oscar. Its a great day to be a Muppet fan.

BIGMuppetFan

Reaction score
This is great News!!! It's a Great song from a Great Movie, Just a little mad that Life's a Happy Song was not nominated,

But What I am really excited for is the performance of this song on the Oscar broadcast!! :smile:

just think about how fun it will be seeing Jason Segel and Walter singing about their love of Muppets in front of every major celeb!!

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
I would honestly watch the entire Academy Awards just to see "Man or Muppet" done live, especially with such a strong possibility that this will finally bring the Muppets their well-deserved first Oscar (after the guy in the trash can, that is)...

Even though it's ostensibly "just Jason Segel and Walter" I see all kinds of wonderful possibilities for the live performance - perhaps several Muppets could sing the repeat lines or do an "ahhhh" backing chorus to the lyrics...

...and lest we forget who shows up as Walter's human doppelganger about a minute and a half into the song! Can you imagine HIM singing this with Segel and the Muppets on an Academy Awards telecast? I get felt goosebumps just thinking about it... :big_grin: