Sesame Street Character Voice Comparisons

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There's still a bit of difference in Marty's performance... it really wasn't until the 90s or so when Snuffyted sounding like the Snuffy now ttoday,t listening to Marty's Snuffy from, say, FTB, and comparing it to any of today's Snuffy, they don't sound quite the same; I think it's a similar case to Telly, it's obvious that Marty tried to sound more like Brian's Telly to begin with before he really made Telly his own, and I think perhaps he was doing the same with Snuffy, because his early Snuffy is a bit quieter, and more whispery like that of Jerry or Michael's.\

And Snudffy's "depression" has been the butt of jokes that continue to this day...

NOSTALGIA CRITIC: He's like a big hairy Dumbo, but with depression!

JIMMY KIMMEL: I think he could use like a bucket of coffee or something.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Whoops, forgot to finish my sentence in the last post there. I tried to say that it's also pretty funny that Telly went from panicky, to calm, to panicky again when he changed performers (except the former from when he needs his TV fix).

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
There's still a bit of difference in Marty's performance... it really wasn't until the 90s or so when Snuffyted sounding like the Snuffy now ttoday,t listening to Marty's Snuffy from, say, FTB, and comparing it to any of today's Snuffy, they don't sound quite the same; I think it's a similar case to Telly, it's obvious that Marty tried to sound more like Brian's Telly to begin with before he really made Telly his own, and I think perhaps he was doing the same with Snuffy, because his early Snuffy is a bit quieter, and more whispery like that of Jerry or Michael's.\
I have to agree with you there. I have seen quite a few eps on You Tube and it seems like the earlier Marty Robinson Snuffy back in the days when he was considered 'imaginary,' doesn't sound quite as energetic as he does now. He did have more of a quieter voice back then. Heck, I laugh at the 'Summer of Snuffy' sketch when he had trouble sounding like he was sad. If that had been made during the earlier years, it probably would have been the other way around.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Heck, I laugh at the 'Summer of Snuffy' sketch when he had trouble sounding like he was sad. If that had been made during the earlier years, it probably would have been the other way around.
Oh haha, I remember that one, that was hilarious! Is it on YouTube, or SST's site? I've gotta watch it again!

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
That's a good question. I'll have to look for that and get back to you.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I can only imagine what a blow to the ego it must have been for Spike Lee to appear on SST, directing Snuffy on how to be sad. ><

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Are there no available footage of Richard's Elmo?

A&E misidentified Brian's performance in "Me, Claudius" as Richard in their Biography special ten years ago.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Are there no available footage of Richard's Elmo?

A&E misidentified Brian's performance in "Me, Claudius" as Richard in their Biography special ten years ago.
There's footage of Richard's Elmo in Being Elmo.