Your Thoughts: Muppets Letters to Santa

What did you think of the "Letters to Santa" special?

• I loved "Letters to Santa".

Votes: 74 40.0%
  • "Letters to Santa" was good.

Votes: 71 38.4%
  • "Letters to Santa" was just so-so.

Votes: 27 14.6%
  • I disliked "Letters to Santa".

Votes: 13 7.0%

• Total voters

Redsonga

Reaction score
Redsonga, I apologize for not getting back sooner, forgot to subscribe to the thread...

I'm closer to 27 than I am to 26 and then when you through in other factors for me... I'm late twenties. Besides, I look forward to aging...

I'm glad it did have that feel to you though, and perhaps it is my point of view. I wish my brother were still as avid as me to compare to someone with as close to my growing experience with. Alas, I'll have to try to continue to bring him back to our side.
*Hee* Well, I'm not yet...I don't look forward to getting older, not because I dislike older people I love them, but because I have an older family and well...I seen more of the bad side than the good from very early on ...

I always get along with people a lot older and younger than me but hardly ever my own age group so I guess my pov not one to go by if you want a 'normal everyday' one *lol*:coy:

Anyway, LTS has really gotten me happy and worked up for a new tv series..it has been ages since the muppets had one, now is a good time:excited:!

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Redsonga said:
*Hee* Well, I'm not yet...I don't look forward to getting older, not because I dislike older people I love them, but because I have an older family and well...I seen more of the bad side than the good from very early on ...

I always get along with people a lot older and younger than me but hardly ever my own age group so I guess my pov not one to go by if you want a 'normal everyday' one *lol*:coy:

Anyway, LTS has really gotten me happy and worked up for a new tv series..it has been ages since the muppets had one, now is a good time:excited:!
Well, I didn't have a sibling until I was 5 and even then, most of my family members were at least in their teens. I always felt like I was cooing over babies or talking to adults. Cousins that were my age ... I hardly saw. So, I'm much more comfortable around adults than children (well, and trying to teach made that discomfort even more pronounced). I, too, don't know what it's like to have "peers".

Anyway, over on the Skeeter thread, I came up with an idea that I've been kinda obsessing over. All our talk about how Sesame'd this special seemed may be missing the true concept. What if we're not seeing a Sesame'd version of the Muppets ...

but a "Muppet Babies" version of the Muppets?

They're living with a human (and her kid). Scooter has a higher voice and a computer. Gonzo struggles with what others consider a weird and active imagination. True, we're talking adult Muppets (Robin aside), but I think what we think we've been seeing as SS Muppets is really MB Muppets. Like they're trying to balance TMS with MB. And it's not just here. I can see it in other properties as well. It's like, post-Jim, the Muppets have been wavering between Dinosaurs-like adult humor and Muppet Babies characterizations.

I can see how Redsonga would be more influenced by Muppet Babies. I only saw Fraggle Rock when my family was on vacation, I barely remember a few episodes of TMS and Jim Henson Hour ... Muppet Babies is really the only consistent thing outside of Sesame Street I've seen.

That's not to say Muppet Babies is bad or that they shouldn't attempt some of that direction. It's still watchable even in my thirties (and there are very few cartoons I watched as a kid that can boast that). Personally, I think Scooter needs to return to his geekiness. As the tech person in my family, I had a lot to admire about Baby Scooter and his computer. And I'll be honest, as much as I love the Electric Mayhem, Muppet Babies had memorable songs.

The point is that I wouldn't mind seeing a more consistent and well-balanced fusion of TMS Muppets and MB Muppets. I personally loved VMX, but I like snarkiness in general and it fit the tone of a parody of a very depressing movie. However, LTS wasn't unlikable. Like others have said, it needs a "mixture".

unclematt

Reaction score
I just want them to come back to thier glory. I honestly dont care how they do it.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Well, I didn't have a sibling until I was 5 and even then, most of my family members were at least in their teens. I always felt like I was cooing over babies or talking to adults. Cousins that were my age ... I hardly saw. So, I'm much more comfortable around adults than children (well, and trying to teach made that discomfort even more pronounced). I, too, don't know what it's like to have "peers".

Anyway, over on the Skeeter thread, I came up with an idea that I've been kinda obsessing over. All our talk about how Sesame'd this special seemed may be missing the true concept. What if we're not seeing a Sesame'd version of the Muppets ...

but a "Muppet Babies" version of the Muppets?

They're living with a human (and her kid). Scooter has a higher voice and a computer. Gonzo struggles with what others consider a weird and active imagination. True, we're talking adult Muppets (Robin aside), but I think what we think we've been seeing as SS Muppets is really MB Muppets. Like they're trying to balance TMS with MB. And it's not just here. I can see it in other properties as well. It's like, post-Jim, the Muppets have been wavering between Dinosaurs-like adult humor and Muppet Babies characterizations.

I can see how Redsonga would be more influenced by Muppet Babies. I only saw Fraggle Rock when my family was on vacation, I barely remember a few episodes of TMS and Jim Henson Hour ... Muppet Babies is really the only consistent thing outside of Sesame Street I've seen.

That's not to say Muppet Babies is bad or that they shouldn't attempt some of that direction. It's still watchable even in my thirties (and there are very few cartoons I watched as a kid that can boast that). Personally, I think Scooter needs to return to his geekiness. As the tech person in my family, I had a lot to admire about Baby Scooter and his computer. And I'll be honest, as much as I love the Electric Mayhem, Muppet Babies had memorable songs.

The point is that I wouldn't mind seeing a more consistent and well-balanced fusion of TMS Muppets and MB Muppets. I personally loved VMX, but I like snarkiness in general and it fit the tone of a parody of a very depressing movie. However, LTS wasn't unlikable. Like others have said, it needs a "mixture".
It makes of sense that what I see as the muppets was effected a lot by Muppet Babies even if I did see the movies, so I agree: If the muppets are going back to a more MBs feeling I don't think I would ever see that as a step backward...It has felt to me for the last few years like the muppets have sort of been floating around and this may give them more direction for re-doing the characters they have to build back up again after years of not having them as much :excited:

unclematt

Reaction score
You have to understand that the Muppets we saw on The Muppet Babies are not the true Muppets. Just like it wasnt the real Mystery Inc. on A Pup Named Scooby Doo and it is not the real Looney Tunes on the Baby Loony Tunes show. I hope you can understand what I am trying to say. If we turn the real Muppets into thier Muppet Babies characters it would bve a huge step backward. They need to return to the smart and sarcastis and sassy Muppets of the Movie and the Caper and Manhattan. Just my opinion.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
You have to understand that the Muppets we saw on The Muppet Babies are not the true Muppets. Just like it wasnt the real Mystery Inc. on A Pup Named Scooby Doo and it is not the real Looney Tunes on the Baby Loony Tunes show. I hope you can understand what I am trying to say. If we turn the real Muppets into thier Muppet Babies characters it would bve a huge step backward. They need to return to the smart and sarcastis and sassy Muppets of the Movie and the Caper and Manhattan. Just my opinion.
I tend to think of the Muppet Babies cartoon program as a mere continuance of Miss Piggy's daydream sequence in The Muppets Take Manhattan and nothing more. It doesn't match up with anything before established about the characters. Even in MTM, Piggy states *wouldn't* it be great *if* they'd known one another when they were little. That implies they didn't. That doesn't diminish the cartoon program for those who love it. It's just not cannon to the classic Muppet characters. I think of the Muppet Babies as tales of fictitious fables come to life in animation.

I wouldn’t say writing the babies into the classic characters would be a *step backwards* as much as it would be a *misstep* period. It just shouldn’t be done. However, once the Muppets get back their former glory I see no problem with a new *and separate* Muppet Babies production.

unclematt

Reaction score
I tend to think of the Muppet Babies cartoon program as a mere continuance of Miss Piggy's daydream sequence in The Muppets Take Manhattan and nothing more. It doesn't match up with anything before established about the characters. Even in MTM, Piggy states *wouldn't* it be great *if* they'd known one another when they were little. That implies they didn't. That doesn't diminish the cartoon program for those who love it. It's just not cannon to the classic Muppet characters. I think of the Muppet Babies as tales of fictitious fables come to life in animation.

I wouldn’t say writing the babies into the classic characters would be a *step backwards* as much as it would be a *misstep* period. It just shouldn’t be done. However, once the Muppets get back their former glory I see no problem with a new *and separate* Muppet Babies production.
I will agree with you on that 100%

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I'm not saying they should act like toddlers. It's just that are some personality quirks in MB that could be used. I've read on this forum people complaining about "mature" Gonzo ... but you know what it reminds me of? Baby Gonzo was a daredevil and stuff too, but he was also extremely thoughtful and such. Scooter in TMS was just the eager suck-up. He could get along with others but ... oh well. So Scooter became a nerd. Animal ... sorry, I just can't see a difference. :big_grin: Piggy was a smidge more spiteful, which I don't really care for.

Since MB postdates TMS, them picking up a few quirks can't possibly be considered "backwards".

Redsonga

Reaction score
I'm not saying they should act like toddlers. It's just that are some personality quirks in MB that could be used. I've read on this forum people complaining about "mature" Gonzo ... but you know what it reminds me of? Baby Gonzo was a daredevil and stuff too, but he was also extremely thoughtful and such. Scooter in TMS was just the eager suck-up. He could get along with others but ... oh well. So Scooter became a nerd. Animal ... sorry, I just can't see a difference. :big_grin: Piggy was a smidge more spiteful, which I don't really care for.

Since MB postdates TMS, them picking up a few quirks can't possibly be considered "backwards".
I agree, that's what I meant to really :smile:. If the writers feel characters have to change for whatever reason, at least it is coming from somewhere solid we remember and not out of thin air sort of (which could be something worst in everyones book). Even if the MBs didn't match up exactly with anything history wise I always felt that there was a certain truth to how the characters acted and I wouldn't mind if that was used for some supporting characters :smile:.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
wwfpooh said:
The problem is that the scene in MFC implies that the babies are canon, despite what took place in MTM. But as with all their movies, The Muppets aren't all too consistant.
It's entirely possible that Piggy was daydreaming about certain aspects of MB in MTM and that the MB we see are the canon ones.

Isn't all we see of their room the Xmas tree, some presents, and a bit of the walls? Maybe they were together in some way when they were little, but not necessarily in "Nanny's" nursery.