Angelina Jolie In Talks to Star in New Muppet Film

beaker

Reaction score
Indeed, hopefully this means bit supporting role, or bad guy. Given the insane attention to maintaining a classic feel Stoller/Segal is looking for, I'm sure this is the case.

I always wanted to see a romantic comedy starring Pepe and a human actress...totally play it straight, where nothing seems out of place of a human and a puppet together; as if Pepe was just another actor.

As for a black princess...well, there's an Arab princess, something Disney would sadly not do today.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
As for a black princess...well, there's an Arab princess, something Disney would sadly not do today.
I haven't seen evidence to support that. That's just wild speculation. I suppose you're thinking about this country's current view of the Middle East, but Disney has been fairly good concerning minorities in recent years.

One thing I do hope is that mad bomber Crazy Harry is included in the film. I like him and the interpretation of him in Oz was great. :crazy:

Drtooth

Reaction score

Hmmmm That's an odd way to put it, considering Aladdin came out during the first Gulf War. There was this great report about it in "A Reader in Animation Studies." One of the subjects they talked about was how they wanted the film to get out of the warzone look of the Middle East and go back to the romantic fantasies of 1001 Arabian Nights stories.

I wonder if such a thing would be considered now a days myself.

But I LOVE that idea about a Muppet romantic comedy. Makes me wish the S guys would write a second script about it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And you really believe the general public would go for that?
Sigh. Sadly the general public would rather see Will Ferrel in the same dang movie with the same dang too tight pants a million more times before they see something clever like this. Though I would LOVE to see the two writers of this script write that kind of film. After all, oddball off the norm romantic comedies are their forte. Knocked Up... Forgetting Sahrah Marshall.... They would do it the justice it would deserve.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I think his "no CGI" comment refers to the fact that he doesn't want to replace the Muppets with CG characters. There are several techniques you can use to pull off a complicated Muppet shot without CGI (the only use of it would be to remove the puppeteers). That kind of shot is a thousand times more interesting to an audience, because they just don't know exactly how it's done. With CGI, you know exactly how it works. I still know people that are amazed at Kermit's bicycle riding, or any Muppet bicycle riding (especially when they talk at the same time). And that was a simple shot! Let's not get into the complexities of Kermit walking down the street in The Muppet Christmas Carol!

Have you ever seen one of the older Muppet movies in the theater? Well, I have, and as a fan that grew up during the era of epic films like The Lord of the Rings, Pirates of the Carribean and the Star Wars prequels, I would say a Muppet movie in the theater is at least as exciting as any of those. And, I was in a theater that was packed full of fans. Fans of all ages, of all levels of fandom. It was incredible!

Paul Williams music is brilliant, and musicals (even old style musicals) have been fairly succesful lately. Their hopes to get Paul Williams involved is an absolutely brilliant thought. He can write music for the Muppets like no one else.

I think you underestimate what "today's" movie audience would want to see. Some of the smaller movies have been wildly popular (Juno). Keep in mind, too, there hasn't really been a Muppet movie that broke 100,000,000 at the box office, but does that mean they weren't succesful?

The best movies, in my opinion, come from people who believe in what they have, and are willing to fight for it. To quote Coolio when he hosted Muppets Tonight, "Hip isn't what you do, it's how you do it." The Muppets have always been hip just doing what they do best.

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
I would hope that Kermit and the Muppets would never be turned into complete CGI characters for a whole movie. Part of the magic is that these characters are really there in the sets, outdoors, talking with real people. rather then have an actor pretend to talk to a bloated mouse that was added 6 months later with a computer. Not that that type of movie is bad or could not work, but Kermit is a puppet and also there is a real actor underneath him.:smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Angelina Jolie scares me.:embarrassed:

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
Well, I really hope it won't be a case of BIG STAR movie that happens to have some Muppets. More like MUPPET movie that happens to have a STAR in there somewhere. Like in the old movies!