Truth commercial: Muppets & smoking

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Reaching for "Truth" and Self-Promotion

This is an example of a good idea going too far. I doubt the artist created this piece for anything other than self-promotion. Attack an icon, gain attention. Any attention being good attention in such a mind.

I know what it's like to live an aspiring artist's lean financial life, but life presents us with ethical choices. Notoriety is mistaken for fame these days. Maybe this is where the Truth ads have run out of ideas and finally jumped the shark.

An ex-smoker myself, I have seen the good of such campaigns, but now it appears to be more about self promotion and pork. :mad: (okay, rant over, feeling much better now. He he) :halo:

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Jamie mixin' it up! Always great to see you, man.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I'm still around...like the lingering tobacco funk long after a smoker has left the room. He he. :embarrassed:

By the way (off topic) could you provide me with the link for your Muppet mural. Couldn't find it right away on your site. Great stuff!! :big_grin:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't think The Truth people were trying to lie. They just bought into the common misconception that Muppets are only for kids.

But I was surprised to find a lot of anti-smoking sites citing TMM as a problem, so they didn't just make this up. I think they just knew it would get people's attention.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
If you want my honest opinion, non of those anti smoking commercials do anything! They dont tell you a thing. The only commercials I found good are those Blah Blah Blah...My Anti-Drug ones. I watch all these anti smoking commericlas and ask myself...what are they thinking. I mean, the one with the person singing about tobacco...I still dont get that one and that one with the alien, it almost makes you think that if you dont smoke you are considered an alien, but on the flipside it makes you think that you will always get the girls if you dont smoke.

I mean, I know what they are trying to do, I just dont think they are doing it in the right way. Instead of all these fancy campains, just get to the point. Make them SCARED to smoke. Dont be nice with cute little cartoon dogs.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I love talking about PSAs! Lol They were huge in the '80s and early '90s, all those commericals that scared you to death about the harm drugs do to your body, etc. I love watching those, they're so classic and creepy!

But now they're few and far between. I hear the companies involved said the commericals just weren't having an impact and they needed to spend their money in better ways. I can understand why they weren't working I think. People know drugs are harmful, THEY DO IT ANYWAY.

The My Anti-Drug commericals are a little bit better in that they show how bad behavior affects your loved ones. But even then, addicts aren't always going to listen.

So I can understand why they stopped making PSAs. But on the other hand, I still wish they were around. It gave the impression that our society cares. Without them, the landscape of television and our own culture seems much more grim.

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
OK firstly the muppet movie has adult jokes and adult stars.
Secondly there was not a single muppet in the movie smoking let alone with a cigarette in it's mouth.
Thirdly this guy is in a sh1t costume and is hardly a puppet if he wants to attack puppets who smoke why doesn't he go after Crank Yankers or Wondershowsen.
What Rubbish!:rolleyes: :mad:

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I don't think it was that big of a deal.
Tobacco is bad for you and it will kill you. Don't do it.
I think that was the main message.
They didn't really attack the Muppets- just pointed out that ANY puppet is appealing to kids (well, I guess unless it's hideously ugly and creepy looking or something- but I'm not talking about The Garbage Pail Kids Movie:wink: )
and when smoking is seen in a movie primarily aimed at children, it could present the wrong message. But honestly I don't think kids would even notice the brief tobacco use scenes in The Muppet Movie.
I think it was more of a message to tobacco companies not to put their products in movies aimed at children than a slam at the Muppets.

And by the way, there is no greater PSA than the G.I. Joe classics- "Gee Roadblock, thanks! Now we know not to eat poison. And knowing is half the battle!":stick_out_tongue: And of course, the "Cartoon All Stars to the Rescue" special- I remember seeing that quite a few times as a kid. That one helped solidify a message I'd already known- don't do drugs. They KILL you! Taking things like drugs, tobacco, and alcohol, all of which KILL you is just STUPID!:attitude:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I'm also wondering if this odd ad will result in additional editing for a future DVD reissue (years from now, of course)?

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
I'm also wondering if this odd ad will result in additional editing for a future DVD reissue (years from now, of course)?
I had the same thing in mind.
The use of cigs in the movies hadn't even crossed my mind now thanks to this add I'm sure I'm not the only one who will now see it or think of it.
This is like reverse advertising they think they're doing something good but they are bring to the attion of people something allot of people hadn't even noticed before.
People smoke these days because they want to they like like this is the the age of old propaganda posters and stuff.shesh:rolleyes: