Fellow Church People

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
And I remember that at one point, he commented that rock stars were doing a much better job on charitable works than many government bodies did.
I wish I went to yours Church, hehe. It's a good point. George Harrison organized the first Rock charity concert in 1971. It hadn't been done to that extent before and he had to beg musicians to come (now it's normal). And the event was taxed, which it probably wouldn't be now, and he ended up paying for much of it out of his own pocket.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Me too, he's my favorite Beatle, hehe. I believe he said it when it was pointed out to him in an interview that it was hard to tell whether some of his songs were about a girl or God (because he was very spiritual and often wrote about God). :smile:

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
I wish I went to yours Church, hehe. It's a good point. George Harrison organized the first Rock charity concert in 1971. It hadn't been done to that extent before and he had to beg musicians to come (now it's normal). And the event was taxed, which it probably wouldn't be now, and he ended up paying for much of it out of his own pocket.
"If music be the food of love..."

First there was Bangladesh, and years later there was Live Aid, and Farm Aid, and Live 8...if you're going to help people, there's no harm in having a good time while you're doing it. And we like to joke that Bono and Bob Geldof and the other big aid-concert-organizers are probably candidates for sainthood by now.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
"If music be the food of love..."

First there was Bangladesh, and years later there was Live Aid, and Farm Aid, and Live 8...if you're going to help people, there's no harm in having a good time while you're doing it. And we like to joke that Bono and Bob Geldof and the other big aid-concert-organizers are probably candidates for sainthood by now.
Oh yeah; I could get into this conversation for hours; Seeing as I did a school project on Bob Geldof.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I agree! Money can be a beneficial thing if used well. Greed is the deadly sin. :wink:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
The Bible also says you can't serve to masters, and when people try so hard to get that everlasting doller they start pushing everything else back. (Family friends, God) I think when you tie thoese things together thats what it means. Everyone needs money, but to sacrafice so much time and everything else to become rich that not what God wants for us. Hope that helps.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
To put the answer to the question in its proper perspective, it should be noted that the Bible doesn't actually say that money itself is the root of all evil. If you take a look at 1 Timothy 6:10 what it actually says is that the love of money is the root of all evil.

That's the key distinction. Money has no inherent power to make evil happen, but because people desire to get as much money as they possibly can their hearts are lured into temptation to commit evil. When you think about it most acts of crime, if not absolutely all of them, are based upon the motivation to acquire money.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Thanks! I guess the famous phrase "money is the root of all evil" was just an abbreviation. But one that clearly needed clarification!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
To put the answer to the question in its proper perspective, it should be noted that the Bible doesn't actually say that money itself is the root of all evil. If you take a look at 1 Timothy 6:10 what it actually says is that the love of money is the root of all evil.

That's the key distinction. Money has no inherent power to make evil happen, but because people desire to get as much money as they possibly can their hearts are lured into temptation to commit evil. When you think about it most acts of crime, if not absolutely all of them, are based upon the motivation to acquire money.
Wow and ya know what I knew that! ugg, so much for me use to being a preacher!