TV Tropes

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Gee whiz, I submitted another new YKTTW earlier today, it was meant to be a YMMV trope, and a mod completely discarded it, claiming it was a complaining trope. It wasn't a complaining trope, I wasn't even complaining when I wrote it, it was meant to be a YMMV because of inevitable differences in opinions.

I'm tellin' ya, I don't know what happened, but they have gotten incredibly uptight lately.

EDIT: And... now, I can't even ask them what the deal is?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I hate when I read it and I have a joke explained to me that I should have been able to piece together. Of course, half the time it's based on some detail I had long forgotten... case in point, this quote from the page of the unreleased Jerry Lewis Holocaust Clown movie:

Shout Out: Of all places, the Animaniacs spoofed this movie in the Affectionate Parody of Apocalypse Now, Hearts of Twilight. They meet a Jerry Lewis Expy (a character who showed up a few times) in this short. He is a crazed director and wants to make an "artistic" comedy movie titled The Wretched Clown but has no idea how it should end. Not only is it probably the only spoof of this movie but it is probably the only spoof of a movie that was never released.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
One thing that's bad about the website is that not only is sourcing not neccessary, but it's apparrently encouraged to not show sources.

Also, there are times when it's not too clear what the website is talking about. Like on the Sesame Street page, when it mentions Follow That Bird, it claims that it's aimed at a slightly older audience and that it has some nightmare fuel moments, but it doesn't really say WHAT the so-called nightmare fuel is. The Nightmare Fuel page doesn't have any entries on Follow That Bird, I don't think FTB has it's own page, and I can't really think of what would be nightmare fuel-ish. I can see maybe some people being a bit scared of Miss Finch, and maybe some being unsettled by Big Bird being chased by a plane or having to jump from a moving truck, but I can't see how those would be scary enough to add "nightmare fuel".

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
One thing that's bad about the website is that not only is sourcing not neccessary, but it's apparrently encouraged to not show sources.

Also, there are times when it's not too clear what the website is talking about. Like on the Sesame Street page, when it mentions Follow That Bird, it claims that it's aimed at a slightly older audience and that it has some nightmare fuel moments, but it doesn't really say WHAT the so-called nightmare fuel is. The Nightmare Fuel page doesn't have any entries on Follow That Bird, I don't think FTB has it's own page, and I can't really think of what would be nightmare fuel-ish. I can see maybe some people being a bit scared of Miss Finch, and maybe some being unsettled by Big Bird being chased by a plane or having to jump from a moving truck, but I can't see how those would be scary enough to add "nightmare fuel".
I've read comments from people saying they were frightened by Miss Finch and the Dodos (really the look of the puppets, rather than the characters themselves).

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I have a love-hate relationship with TV tropes. Not huge on contributing but I do like editing / cross-wicking or whatever they call it there. But more and more it is Serious Business over there which kind of defeats the purpose. :/

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I recently heard from one of the mods or whoever over there, and he did acknowledge that they have been doing a lot of crack downs throughout the entire site, not just recently, but within the last few years or so, because of troll problems, and that they're basically trying to put a curb on it. So that basically explains why they seem so uptight and rulesy any more.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
I recently heard from one of the mods or whoever over there, and he did acknowledge that they have been doing a lot of crack downs throughout the entire site, not just recently, but within the last few years or so, because of troll problems, and that they're basically trying to put a curb on it. So that basically explains why they seem so uptight and rulesy any more.

I guess that makes sense, but it does take a lot of the fun out of the site.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I recently found one article called "All Animation is Disney", which lists examples of people thinking that Disney is responsible for all animation, and it says that one of the few companies that doesn't get mistaken for Disney is Warner Bros., but then many slapstick cartoons from other companies get mistaken for WB. But I've known a few people who have mistakenly thought Looney Tunes were Disney. A few people have asked "are Looney Tunes Disney?", one in boy scouts we were playing Outburst and one of the cards said to name Disney characters and a few kept shouting out "The Looney Tunes!" And once I talked to my grandpa about how I read about how when the Mickey Mouse version of The Three Musketeers was pitched, they initially had trouble because the original story actually had four musketeers and Disney couldn't think of an appropriate fourth musketeer to go along with Mickey, Donald, and Goofy, my grandpa said they should have used Daffy Duck.

I wonder if any of this confusion comes from the fact that many Looney Tunes characters appeared in Who Framed Roger Rabbit, though I never hear people referring to non-WB characters who appear in that movie (Betty Boop, Woody Woodpecker, Droopy) as Disney. Droopy also appeared in the three Roger Rabbit shorts but despite that I haven't heard anybody refer to him as Droopy (of course I wouldn't be too surprised if I don't know many people who are too familiar with the Roger Rabbit shorts, except maybe Tummy Trouble). I don't think I've ever heard anybody refer to any other non-Disney cartoon besides Looney Tunes as Disney, and yet the trope page claims people don't make that mistake while mistaken other animation for Disney. Maybe it's wrong, maybe I know the only people in the world who make the mistake, dunno...

Considering that, I'm surprised TV Tropes doesn't have a "All Puppets are Muppets" page. I know there is a trope page called "Muppet" which refers to all puppetry that resembles Muppets, whether it is Muppets, creations from the Jim Henson Company, or unrelated. I see more people mistake non-Henson puppets for Muppets more than I see people refer to non-Disney animation as Disney. The recent "Million Puppet March" event was originally titled "Million Muppet March" yet was intended to involve any kind of puppet. Lots of people mistake Yoda for a Muppet (and I rarely hear of any similar mistakes regarding other puppet/suit characters from Star Wars, though in Clerks they thought "all Jedi had was a bunch of Muppets"). Back when I was younger one of my friends thought Barney the Dinosaur was a Muppet (I knew better, even when I was 9). On the "that guy with the glasses" forum there have been some request threads for top 11 Muppet lists (not sure if those are still on the forum, as the whole request thread had been deleted... not sure if they can be re-added now that The Nostalgia Critic is coming back) and on those threads people made mistakes (I corrected them but it seems they didn't want to accept my mistakes), thinking that Audrey II and the Jabborwock from 1985 Alice in Wonderland are Muppets.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Here's one thing I haven't been able to figure out about TV Tropes:

When you go into the extra pages, like YMMV, Headscratchers, etc, some things actually have to share those pages with other things based on similarities or connections, while other don't...

For example: each of the three Toy Story movies have their own separate YMMV and Headscratchers pages, but everything related to Super Mario Bros. (the games, the cartoons, the movie, what have you) are all lumped together on the same pages. Likewise, PBS Arthur's YMMV and Headscratchers pages have to be shared with both the 1981 Dudley Moore movie and the 2011 Russell Brand movie... you talk about two completely different and unrelated Arthur's.