Your Thoughts: The Muppets Take The O2, July 13-14th 2018

dwayne1115

Reaction score
OPENING (Friday)

PIGS IN SPACE / DR WHO CROSSOVER with David Tennant (Full Sketch - Friday)
(just noticed ... Rizzo!!!)
Great to see Dogliom in the opening!

Link sounds ok. .

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
So Rizzo was there, he just didn't say anything. Was Robin there, were Wayne and Wanda there? Also Tyler Bunch told me aside from him replacing Alice Dinnean, the Muppet performers were exactly the same as the Hollywood Bowl concert. Is this true? Here's more videos in the meantime:

LeanneRivett

Reaction score
We were there last night, it was the most surreal moment of my life, I think I was in total shock that there we were and there a few yards in front of us were the muppets. I found the whole experience completely overwhelming and still can't believe that we actually watched a live version of the original Muppet Show.

It was so amazing and one of the highlights of my life, I am so grateful to my husband for taking me, it was also really good to meet up and go with some of the friends I have made here on Muppet Central, in fact one stayed with us, as we live just a 5 mins from the O2.

Take aways, the VT and sound let them down on occasion, you can see that from some of youtube clips, but that didn't stop the goosebumps, the show was fantastic, my favourite joke Bunsen referring to the O2 as the 'Oxygen Arena', I'm still giggling over that one.

The whole thing didn't scream Disney, which on one hand I was actually grateful for, it felt more Jim and the original Muppet crew. In fact, there was no sniff of Disney there at all, which on the other hand meant that there was no capitalism in the form of merchandise, compared to Disney on Ice there was nothing, I was hoping to see some exclusive plush, it was just T-Shirts, programmes, mug, keyring, cd, magnet and lanyard, oh and poster. The programme was made up of a lot of stock photos that we have seen before, however, there are two pages of scenes from the show and the picture on the back page of the Muppets in London is beautiful.

It was an amazing experience, that I am going to treasure for ever

LeanneRivett

Reaction score
The show was absolutely brilliant, really top class. Just felt totally like The Muppet Show "Live".

No Rizzo, even though they had been saying on his social media he was there. The main muppeteers were Bill, Dave, Eric, Matt and Peter. Mike Quinn and Ryan Dillon were among the supporting cast.

A good chunk of the show was new and different to the Hollywood Bowl but yes quite a lot was either repeated exactly or tweaked slightly and the script around it was more or less the same with Kermit & Scooter - I don't want to spoil it for anyone with too much detail but there is a lot of British themed content - musical numbers, sketches (Pigs In Space/Doctor Who crossover), and some of the Mupfronts viral videos were takes on current British TV shows. The Electric Mayhem's animated graphics were all British landmarks and symbols.

Bobby Moynihan is indeed the guest host which is strange as few people in the UK have any idea who he is and just felt a bit out of place when you had Kylie and David Tennant there who are way more familiar to people.

Kylie didn't do Especially For You with Kermit as most people had been assuming, she did Mahna Mahna and Rainbow Connection. Charles Dance danced with Pepe, Kevin Bishop did a sketch with the Swedish Chef but they never referenced MTI at all. The parade of obscure characters had a few different surprises than the Hollywood Bowl.

I had no idea who Bobby Moynihan was, nor did my husband, but I did say to him that he was the one who hosted the Hollywood Bowl version, I also was hoping to see Kylie to sing especially for you. But totally agree with all your said Luke. We did look out for you, Matt was with with us, I also heard that Danny and Chris were there, in fact I have talked to Chris today.

I'm still in a daze from it all and blissfully happy.

BlakeConor14

Reaction score
Oh my Lord.The greatest day of my life.

I went this today for the Afternoon show and it was the greatest piece of muppet marterial I've ever seen.Every single performer did the characters (and the original performers) justice. Matt was a brilliant Kermit and he sang the first two verses of Rainbow Connection beautifully. Bill Barretta, Dave Goelz,David Rudman/Peter Linz and Eric Jacobson all were fantastic as well.

Some stuff was the same from the previous show but other parts were new.
The guests were great: Adam Hills and the Swedish Chef were hilarious and had me falling off my chair as I was laughing too hard. Peter Davison was great. Anthony Head had a great scene with Pepe and Bobby Moynahan killed it as host. But the role of STEPS wasn't needed. They didn't sing any songs and they could have been easily replaced.

Dr Teeth and the Electric Mayhem sang three songs(Can you picture that, Suffragette City and Ho Hey) and I was gutted there wasn't more

It was a fantastic day and I'll never forget it

LeanneRivett

Reaction score
Oh my Lord.The greatest day of my life.

I went this today for the Afternoon show and it was the greatest piece of muppet marterial I've ever seen.Every single performer did the characters (and the original performers) justice. Matt was a brilliant Kermit and he sang the first two verses of Rainbow Connection beautifully. Bill Barretta, Dave Goelz,David Rudman/Peter Linz and Eric Jacobson all were fantastic as well.

Some stuff was the same from the previous show but other parts were new.
The guests were great: Adam Hills and the Swedish Chef were hilarious and had me falling off my chair as I was laughing too hard. Peter Davison was great. Anthony Head had a great scene with Pepe and Bobby Moynahan killed it as host. But the role of STEPS wasn't needed. They didn't sing any songs and they could have been easily replaced.

Dr Teeth and the Electric Mayhem sang three songs(Can you picture that, Suffragette City and Ho Hey) and I was gutted there wasn't more

It was a fantastic day and I'll never forget it
Glad you had a great time, we had Charles Dance in place of Anthony Head last night.

I agree it too was the greatest day of my life too.

Luke

Reaction score
I had no idea who Bobby Moynihan was, nor did my husband, but I did say to him that he was the one who hosted the Hollywood Bowl version, I also was hoping to see Kylie to sing especially for you. But totally agree with all your said Luke. We did look out for you, Matt was with with us, I also heard that Danny and Chris were there, in fact I have talked to Chris today.

I'm still in a daze from it all and blissfully happy.
So glad you loved it, still buzzing here too. I actually thought i spotted Matt but I was with someone going to get drinks and when I came back and looked for him couldn't see him again. Was such a maze of Muppety people.

Loved your review post. Yes if the idea is to tour the show around the world they seem to have the dilemma that Bobby is really great, but at the same time he is only known in the USA. Actually that could have been a really funny running joke! :embarrassed::big_grin: