Your Thoughts: The Muppet Show Season 2

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
This is a great release. Disney did a nock it out of the park job. I've only made it trough the first few episodes and won't want the Special Features till i'm at Disc 5. But overall i'm so happy. Its pretty obvious they listened to the fans and took the time this time to get ever song cleared. I still wish the first season had everything but i'm just so happy to have what i have on DVD.
CW
I thought there were only 4 discs like the first season set. Did you make a typing mistake or are there really five discs?

savagemonkey

Reaction score
I was just wonderin if the release date for tms season 2 was the same in the uk as in the us? can anyone help with this? :confused:

monkey

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Ok if Muppets on Muppets was durring the MFS time then it would more then likely mean that that would etheir under Columbea/Tristar or JHC. which would mean that there must have been some frome of talks betwen the studios. So would that mean that they could very well be trying to buy MTM.
If it was owned by the Jim Henson Company and not any other companies, then Disney would have most likely gotten the rights to it (just like Disney did with the Muppet Show, the movies, and the many specials).

And even if it was made around the time of Muppets From Space, that wouldn't neccessarily mean that it was promoting the movie. This documentary doesn't have any direct references to the movie (nor does it have any references to The Muppet Show).

dwayne1115

Reaction score
If it was owned by the Jim Henson Company and not any other companies, then Disney would have most likely gotten the rights to it (just like Disney did with the Muppet Show, the movies, and the many specials).

And even if it was made around the time of Muppets From Space, that wouldn't neccessarily mean that it was promoting the movie. This documentary doesn't have any direct references to the movie (nor does it have any references to The Muppet Show).
that is true but did you notice that it did have some mention of Micky Mouse and Donald Duck.

Side Note: I really think the Nacey Walker show was really good and showed a diferent side of Fozzie the side of Fozzie that i really like .

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I haven't watched it yet (I've already seen the Valentines special and the Weezer video), but the review says that it is uncut.

I wonder if the constant editing of that number comes from a new master being used in all broadcast since the edited one, just like A Muppet Family Christmas and Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas. Sure, this release isn't the same master, but then again, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney used the original master tape for the DVD, jus tlike Disney did with the epsidoes (I wonder if Disney used the original master tapes for Sex and Violence, Go Fishing, and the pitch reel).
I think I might be wrong with my "newer master" theory. I noticed that on this DVD, the "Jim Henson Television" logo appears. I'm guessing that Odyssey edited the special, and that's the only channel that I would expect to have seen that logo. I think it's strange that the logo was there, instead of the Muppet Studios logo, and no new copyright credits regarding the fact that the Muppets are owned by the Muppet Studios (or Muppets Holding Company).

I guess this does make me worry that if the day comes when Disney releases a Muppet Babies DVD that the original Henson Associates logo won't be there.

dabauckham

Reaction score
I thought there were only 4 discs like the first season set. Did you make a typing mistake or are there really five discs?
I just got it! WAHOOO! There are only 4 discs, Bill Bubble Guy:

Disc 1: Episodes 1-6
Disc 2: Episodes 7-13
Disc 3: Episodes 14-19
Disc 4: Episodes 20-24, The Muppets Valentine Special, The Muppets on the Muppets, and Weezer and the Muppets Keep Fishin'

So far, I'm happy (have only watched 2 episodes, so I'm not too far in yet).

However, I am a little disappointed that there are no muppet morsels. I enjoyed that feature from the first season and missed it on this one.

Love the fuzzy pig cover! :mad: :smile:

Nyperold

Reaction score
Well, I happened to be in Wal-Mart on the 7th (Seriously! No planning at all!), and I picked up the fuzzy Season 2 cover (as well as The Living Daylights, but that's another topic), so...

The fuzzy version of the Season 2 DVD cover is a close up of Miss Piggy's face from almost the tops of her eyelids to the top of her chin. Her irises are slightly raised and glittery. "THE MUPPET SHOW 2", in "gold", covers her nostrils. Only her "skin" is fuzzy, not her eyes, eyelids, eyelashes, the title, or the bar across the bottom with "SEASON TWO 4-DISC SET".

I haven't seen the regular cover, so it's possible that I could've said "just like the regular, only her 'skin' is fuzzy," but that's for someone else to tell.

Muppet Morsels would indeed have been nice, as well as subtitles on the songs. But this is okay.

As far as show content, I think I'm with :sleep:... in that I preferred the old opening. I kinda wish they'd kept the... well, it's not a drum roll... maybe a piano roll? (Ba-dum-TISH!) ...from the first season.

Gotta love Chopin's Polonaise in A-Flat as performed by Dr. Teeth & the Electric Mayhem. :smile: (Another one of those tunes where I recognized the melody, but not the name. It's educational!)

I've only seen up to the Dom DeLuise episode, but comparing the lists...

Season 1 has Ruth Buzzi, Rita Moreno, Jim Nabors, Florence Henderson, Harvey Korman, Lena Horne, Peter Ustinov, Candice Bergen, Phyllis Diller, Vincent Price, Valerie Harper, and Ethel Merman that I'd heard of before I saw those DVDs, and Ben Vereen whom I'd seen before, but learned the name of thanks to said DVDs. That's 13 of 24, counting the Mummenschanz as one even though there are three people.

Season 2 has Don Knotts, Zero Mostel, Milton Berle, Rich Little, Edgar Bergen, Steve Martin, George Burns, Dom DeLuise, Bernadette Peters, Rudolf Nureyev, Elton John, Julie Andrews, Peter Sellers, Bob Hope, and John Cleese that I knew of, for 15 of 24. Not too much of a difference, at least for me. But then, while it's nice to see the stars as they were 40 years ago, but it's also interesting to find out about the others, such as the aforementioned Mummenschanz.

So I'm down with it so far. :smile:

ploobis

Reaction score
The Ugly Song (from the Milton Berle episode) is one of my favorite Boppity moments!

I use to love that song as a kid! I love Boppity, Gloat, Green Hunchbacked Frackle, Mean Mamma and all the other Frackles & Monsters!

DTWolf

Reaction score
So far I've watched the Valentine special, the menu openers of all four discs and all the episodes on disc 1. And it's great. I'm extremely happy with this set except for some minor nuisances:

It really unnerves me every time I select an episode and there's this long black space on the screen (5 seconds, actually) before even the modern Muppet logo comes up--I always think, "Oh no! It's a defective disc! It's not going to play!"

The plastic holder-thingies where you stick the discs are too tight! I had to fight to get disc 1 free, and ended up breaking one of the plastic tabs.

I was a little disappointed that they didn't use a new set of menu-openers for each disc. Instead, discs 1 and 3 use almost identical stuff (Fozzie and Kermit talking), and discs 2 and 4 have a second set of almost identical stuff (Rizzo and Animal talking). But oh well, it's still funny stuff, and they didn't have to have any at all.

Yeah, I agree Rich Little did pretty weak impressions of the Muppets. His other impressions were a lot better.

So if this is all I can find to complain about, this must be a really, really, really well-done DVD set.

ploobis

Reaction score
There is one thing that I noticed about the Limbo sketch from the Cleo Laine episode.

If you look at Gloat and Baskerville's cloths you will notice that Gloat is wearing the same hat that was worn by the pink whatnot from the Gogolala Jubilee Jugband and Baskerville is wearing the same hat that the Female Whatnot from the Gogolala Jubilee Jugband was wearing.

:concern: :smile: :wink: