Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Spoofs DVD Set

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"Sesame Street Spoofs Volumes 1 and 2 DVD" will arrive on DVD this Tuesday July 5. Here's our review of this anticipated two disc DVD set. Check it out and let us know what you think.

Since most of us will be getting "Sesame Street Spoofs Volumes 1 and 2 DVD", we'd like to mention that if you order the set from Amazon using this link, that a small portion of your entire order will go to Muppet Central to help keep the site, forum and radio running smoothly and help make future upgrades possible. It's a great way to help MC and get a great price on the DVD with a low-price guarantee. We greatly appreciate each person that helps support MC by placing orders through Amazon links on our site.

Once you receive your "Sesame Street Spoofs" DVD, post here and let us know your thoughts on this anticipated release.

zns

Reaction score
Surprisingly enough, I found a copy the day before the release over at Suncoast and knew that I had to buy it. Everything on both discs is wonderful. The stuff with Oscar is pure Caroll Spinney gold. And the pieces with Grover are laugh out loud funny, along with the stuff with Cookie Monster. The greatest sketch out of everything else is most definitely the Jon and Kate Plus 8 piece. It's a shame it didn't make it into the show during the divorce, because it is just too hilarious for words. A great find for any adult Sesame Street fan. :insatiable::super::grouchy:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Great review! I ordered mine, but it's too bad I'll be away when it comes.

I still can't figure out what bit the image in the lower right corner of the DVD cover is, even with the segment listing.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
This is a great set (despite the lack of Miami Mice... and I searched but couldn't find any easter eggs).

One thing I noticed is that both discs begin with the Sesame Street around the world promo and a preview for 40 Years of Sunny Days. Normally multi-disc sets only have previews on the first disc.

The "Here is Your Life" segment is presented with the book title card as opposed to the original, and the very end of Beat the Time: Cookie Monster (when the title card shows up) is cut.

As expected, the first two Monsterpiece Theater segments have the original title card, and Gone with the Wind has the original Alistair Cookie intro and outro. I noticed that the picture quality on the original Monsterpiece Theater opening (as well as the Sesame Street News title card) looks a bit faded (especially considering that on 40 Years of Sunny Days the Monsterpiece Theater title card looked so crisp).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
A few things about the review that I noticed:
  • It says that Sesame Street has been doing spoofs since the first season, but I don't know of any parody segments that originated in season one (if there were parodies in the first season then it's a shame none were included, as I really like stuff from the first season and feel there's not enough first season content on DVD).
  • It's said that this would have been an ideal release to include early Beatles parodies. Did the reviewer mean covers from the first season (because a cover isn't a parody), or early appearances by The Beetles (but then what would constitute "early Beetles" appearnaces, considering there aren't many?).

I noticed that this set has ending credits on disc 2 but not disc 1 (it just says "End of Volume 1"). I was surprised that there was even a closing credits sequence at all (considering 40 Years of Sunny Days and the Bert and Ernie's Great Adventures DVDs don't have ending credits, just a few trademark/copyright credits). I was especially surprised that disc 1 doesn't even have trademark credits at the end (not even for Kermit), but the neccessary trademark credits appear on disc 2. Until I saw the credits on disc 2, I thought Sesame Workshop somehow failed to even provide trademark credits for Kermit (the packaging doesn't even mention Kermit as a trademark of The Muppets Studio, but the 40th anniversary DVD packaging didn't either).

On the top right of the cover there's some blurry images, which I at first thought were from Outrageous Makeover: Home Addition, then I thought it was from Air (which isn't on this set), but then I noticed those images weren't from either sketch (they're from True Mud).

I don't really remember seeing Family Food or Rebel L before (though as I was watching Rebel L I thought something about it felt familiar). Both are really good.

I noticed on the menus for the disc 1 bonus clips and the last chapter menus on both disc there's an empty space on the film strips. These would have been great places to put some easter eggs.

A second volume (I'd rather not call it "Best of Sesame Street Spoofs Volumes 3 and 4") would be great, there are quite a few parodies I feel are essential that aren't included (I think more fans would remember Miami Mice, That Grouchy Face, Mysterious Theater, and Squeal of Fortune better than they would the Dragnet parody). Heck, you could fill an entire disc with Monsterpiece Theater segments. But it would be good to get a different kind of two-disc set next year.

I must ask, is the Spaceship Surprise: The Next Generation segment included here the only Spaceship Surprise: Next Generation segment? It's the only one listed at Muppet Wiki.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Do the segments cut to one another, transition in some way or just fade in and out?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Do the segments cut to one another, transition in some way or just fade in and out?
Most segments cut to one another, but in some cases (and it seems disc 1 does this more than disc 2) there's a transition where the end of a clip zooms back, being shown on a film strip (like how the clips on the cover are shown) and it moves past a few strips (showing parts of other clips in the process) before starting the next clip.

All of the bonus clips fade in and out (though there's no "play all" feature when it comes to the bonuses).

ploobis

Reaction score
I haven't bought it yet, but it looks like something worth getting. Too bad it doesn't have the Meal or No Meal sketch though, but I'm still gonna buy it when I get the chance.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Like with 40 Years of Sunny Days, if you like on one of the clips (as opposed to "play all"), it'll go back to the chapters menu after the clip ends. Unlike 40 Years of Sunny Days, the seasons aren't listed in the chapter menu (on that set you can click on the season number and the set will keep going), so if you want to start at a later point and continue you'll have to settle for hitting the chapter skip button until you're at your desired starting point.

BIGMuppetFan

Reaction score
I bought this set at Target this morning and am currently watching Disc two,
I Really enjoyed Disc one!! and Disc Two is fun as well,

I know there are tons of Clips they could but these are great ones that they choose!!
I say if you can find it in stores you should pick up a copy

as to the Next volume thing, I would really like them to do sets based on each SS character

You could double up each set Like "The Best of Sesame Street's Ernie and Bert" "The Best of Sesame Street's Big Bird and Snuffy" "The Best of Sesame Street's Cookie Monster and Grover" "The Best of Sesame Street's Telly, Zoe, and Rosita"

Each set could have two disc highlighting disc one 1969-1989 then Disc 2 1990-2011, Those sets I think would sell,

Having two characters a set would be easier then each individual set of each character, But what would be cool is having many clips of each character and then when the second character is introduced on the show you start having clips with them in it.

Those would be great DVD sets to produce!!